MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cigars and other tobacco Related bad habits.

Quit smoking cigarettes 20 years ago but still enjoy the occasional cigar (2-3/year). Something usually in that $10-15 range with a light wrapper.

I guess I am boring as hell. I never did smoke or chew. I can count on one hand the number of alcoholic drinks I have had in the last five years.

ClearCreek

Both my parents smoked for many years. I have always hated the smell of cigarettes. Both of my parents had years cut off of their life from their tobacco habits. I have never smoked, dipped, whatever. I drink a liter or two of gin, spread over the year. If gin disappears, I could walk away from alcohol entirely.

I started smoking when I joined the military, smoked on and off for the first few years of my career up until I returned from my first deployment in 2009. A few weeks before returning home from Afghanistan, I got a very bad sinus infection which completely put me off smoking Marlboros. I had to tone things down and picked up light cigarettes (you know, because quitting in order to feel better wasn't an option). A few weeks later, while standing in line to board my flight home to leave Afghanistan, I threw my last pack of smokes in a dumpster and that was the end of it. I eventually picked up dipping, that lasted a couple years, until I got tired of my wife saying things like: "eww, gross, disgusting, yuck" and stopped. It's been probably 5-6 years since I've actually used any tobacco product and I intend on keeping it that way. I watch my young chain smoking wheezing troops daily which serves as a reminder that smoking=bad.

I only have on addiction now. My name is Saskhunter and I'm addicted to hunting.

Chewed and dipped since I was 12yrs old. Quit 8 years ago. I do think about a good dip all the time.

Smoked occasionally in school. Dipped some. Still enjoy a wad of Levi when hunting, fishing, or driving. Maybe 3-4 packs a year.

Man o' Wars and Ghurkas are good ways to celebrate!

I chewed Days O Work plug tobacco when I was a teenager for a couple of years. One day at work I noticed an old guy buying the same stuff and his gums were black and his teeth were coffee brown.
I quit chewing after that.
Days O Work is like spitting black syrup. That stuff ain’t no joke.

Was never addicted to the stuff full time but I chewed Red Man, Levi’s Garrett, Days O Work and dipped Copenhagen Long Cut and various other dips for the enjoyment of it. Quit when I looked at my baby daughter one day and realized although I don’t actually believe the hype about long term health effects of smokeless tobacco I wasn’t taking any chances on not being around for her.

When I'm working I'll go through a tin of cope a day. That's usually a 12 hour day though. However any rain day, sunday off, or when I'm off a couple months for the winter I don't touch the stuff. Something about being busy at work that's a trigger. I used to smoke 2 packs a day Marlboro reds. Woke up one morning and quit that was 8 years ago. Maybe had 5 cigarettes since then, I cant stand the smell since I quit.

Lost my dad way too young from a massive cardiac event at 61 yrs old... a camel unfiltered lifetime smoker, my big brother at 64 from COPD complications...lifetime smoker. I never started so I never had to quit.

Acid blondie is a great cigar. I had some buddies back home who ran a cigar lounge and they would bring home stuff for me to try all the time. Learned the proper etiquette too smoking and rolling. I’ve smoked tons and liked very few lol. I enjoy a cheapo cigar everyonce in a while on a long drive.

I'm glad to see this thread back to life, it made me realize that I am now up to like 2 years and 3 months dip free

Started smoking Camels then Newport’s in high school. Chewed Kodiak when I couldn't smoke at work and a little when I was welding (enough smoke as it was). Was a pack a day with the occasional extra pack in a night when I was drinking.

After a party I had at my house (smoked at least a pack that night), I woke up and my lungs hurt. Still smoked a pack that day. I came down with a bad cold and that Wednesday I had half a smoke on my way to work. I was done and haven’t had a cig since.

One thing I think helped me and I try to encourage anyone who is trying to quit is: Everything about it is a habit. Your body is addicted to the chemicals but your mind is addicted to going to the same store to get a pack or tin; which brand you get; how or if you pack them. I was switching between three brands and would try to randomly pack or not and not going to just one store.

I do dabble in a cigar a couple of times a month though. My fathers, Oscar, Alec Bradley, Gloria del Cubano are some of my favorites right now.

My buddies give me grief because I can't seem to go hunting, fishing, or camping without something to smoke. Just something about being in those settings. I like a mild cigar, and Arturo Fuente's Hemmingway line suits, but I've also been known to indulge a pipe or a Backwoods (in which case, it's pronounced "ceegar"), or the occasional Redman golden blend.

I tried a cigarette when I was 6, that was enough for me. My dad smoked a pipe and I did and still do love the smell of pipe tobacco. (he died of lung cancer) Not too many folks smoke pipes these days. All my sons in law enjoy an occasional cigar. When they are at my house out in the yard smoking I'll join in for the conversation and enjoy the smell of their cigars. Almost as nice as pipe tobacco. But I sure aint gunna smoke one. I worked two years with a guy who chewed Red Man. I think that was one of the most disgusting things I ever saw anyone do. He would sit in the truck and spit into a coke bottle then leave it around till it was full. Always seem to manage to spill it and one hot summer day it blew up in the truck. Makes me want to puke just thinking about it.

I started chewing Kodiak when I was like 12 or 13 and kept chewing until i was about 35 or 36. While on vacation driving in the car one of my kids asked me why do I chew? I could not come up with a great answer besides I was addicted. My kid then proceeds to tell me how bad tobacco is for you and said I do not want you to get cancer. So right then and their I quite chewing I have not had a chew since, that was 5 years ago. I do still have a hankering for a chew every once in while still.
But I do on very rare occasion have a cigar I like the Acid Blondie.

Similar story to others.....started dabbling with chew when I was 12. I saw my brother doing it then and thought it was cool. Started with leaf chews like WB Cut, Red Man, and Beech Nut and eventually moved to Kodiak. I chewed so much, to keep from buying a couple cans a day, I would sometimes put the dip back in the can for later usage (“recycle”). After 30 years of chewing, I woke up one morning, walked to the fridge, grabbed the can, and threw it in the trash. I’m not really sure why I did that as I didnt have any thoughts if quitting prior. Anyway, cold turkey 9 years ago and don't miss it.
Also tried the snorting snuff for a very short time, as a teenager, until my nose started bleeding for no reason.

Similar story to others.....started dabbling with chew when I was 12. I saw my brother doing it then and thought it was cool. Started with leaf chews like WB Cut, Red Man, and Beech Nut and eventually moved to Kodiak. I chewed so much, to keep from buying a couple cans a day, I would sometimes put the dip back in the can for later usage (“recycle”). After 30 years of chewing, I woke up one morning, walked to the fridge, grabbed the can, and threw it in the trash. I’m not really sure why I did that as I didnt have any thoughts if quitting prior. Anyway, cold turkey 9 years ago and don't miss it.
Also tried the snorting snuff for a very short time, as a teenager, until my nose started bleeding for no reason.
I think it was bleeding for a reason. 🤔

Back