Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Cigars and other tobacco Related bad habits.

rmauch20

I saw the bourbon thread and it got me wonder about other bad habits. I don’t drink anymore but will have a occasional cigar or grab a pouch of Levi Garrett. Anyone else enjoy a cigar every now and then. If so what are some of our favorites.

I had to give up alcohol back in 1997. It was kind of planned, just knew it would get me if i didn't. Started with a $100. bet that i couldn't quit for a month. I won the bet and just stayed sober after that because why would i ever want to again feel the way i felt back then?

I've used Copenhagen snuff since i got out of college, about 45 years ago. It's a filthy disgusting habit i know but i'm very seriously hooked. When asked by smokers if i'm concerned about the health ramifications of "chewing", am i aware of the dangers, i say that most of the men in my Family all chewed, that there is nobody in the local grave yard from chewing, that there are Tons of people in there from smoking, and if you don't blow your smoke in my face, i won't spit on yours. Leave me be.

Last edited:
I use to chew mainly Redman and Levi Garrett. I also would have an occasional cigar mainly Acid, Olive SerieV,and AvoXO. The Avo really good. I quit smoking and chewing after I had cancer surgery. Cancer was non related to the smoking but why risk it. I got thru one scare. Sometimes miss having a cigar or chewing while hunting or splitting wood.

Gave up dipping about 6 years ago. Two cans a day of Kodiak. From the time I woke up til I went to bed, my lip always hung out full of a dip. It was the best thing I ever did giving it up. Plus the $2000 I spent every year buys a few points and tags out west. That being said, I still get a hankering for it every once in a while.

I enjoy cigars. My favorites come from a nearby island.

I managed to bring back some Cohibas once from a trip to an island for my dad. He had 1/3 of one and threw it out the truck window and lit up a black and mild.

I still hurt watching $10 go out the window like that. Luckily I kept the rest along with some very nice Punches, Macanudos & Arturo Fuentes I brought back.

Not much for smoking these days but a camel light & cocktail still call my name from time to time, as do the above mentioned brands of cigars.

Smoked all through military service.stopped when I got out.Smoked the GREEN,GREEN for a little while.Smart as a bag of hammers.
Cigars after a kill /with small snort of Jack.OK small bottle. I Am dirtclod Az. Afterall.

I used to enjoy a good cigar but just kinda stopped. I had a humidor at home and everything. I've chewed for about 23 years and quit in January of this year, kinda started back a couple weeks ago with Copenhagen pouches. I really enjoyed chewing and chewed southern blend from Copenhagen, started on Skoal wintergreen original until it started clogging the reeds on my duck calls then switched to long cut. I honestly can't say I felt any better like some people do, and that was my only vice. I figure a man needs a vice.

Sometimes miss ... chewing while hunting or splitting wood.

I have similar triggers. Have been supporting a Copenhagen habit since High School (nevermind how many decades that is). I've quit off and on for 6 months at a time, but it is always 2 things that trigger me back:

1 - Hunting/Fishing/nearly any outdoor activity
2 - Coffee in the morning (I have to more or less quit coffee when I quit dipping, which makes it 2X as difficult)

I managed to bring back some Cohibas once from a trip to an island for my dad. He had 1/3 of one and threw it out the truck window and lit up a black and mild.

I still hurt watching $10 go out the window like that. Luckily I kept the rest along with some very nice Punches, Macanudos & Arturo Fuentes I brought back.

Not much for smoking these days but a camel light & cocktail still call my name from time to time, as do the above mentioned brands of cigars.

I really miss the Punch 11.

I have similar triggers. Have been supporting a Copenhagen habit since High School (nevermind how many decades that is). I've quit off and on for 6 months at a time, but it is always 2 things that trigger me back:

2 - Coffee in the morning (I have to more or less quit coffee when I quit dipping, which makes it 2X as difficult)

Driving is also a hard one for me. Just seems like the natural way to pass the time behind the wheel.

All these resonate with me. I started smoking to get me off a Kodiak/Redman habit that started when I was too young and got out of hand.

Later, I got a job working in a cigar store while in college and tried (what seemed) like hundreds of different cigars. Lots of great ones, but I thought Licenciados was the best for the money.

After dipping copenhagen for 15 years I gave it up when my daughter was born 10 years ago. Wife quit smoking. Easily one of the best decisions we have ever made.

Got to be fully addicted with a dip being the first thing in the morning, last in the evening, and immediately after a meal along with most of the day. So disgusting and so bad financially but I still struggled to quit.

I can smoke one cigarette on a fishing trip to the Big Hole, and come home three days later and my wife will be able to smell it on me. I bet I smoke a half a dozen cigarettes a year, but if not for the disdain of my wife, I may have been a smoker. Nonsmokers think that folks smoke cigarettes because they are addicted, but this is only partly true. Most folks smoke because a cigarette can be an enjoyable thing, and occasionally I still find myself sitting on a riverbank with a cheap beer and a smoke.

Chewed for a few years and though I enjoyed it, I never enjoyed it that much. Quit cold turkey with no real problems.

Nice weather is my Achilles heel when it comes to cigars. Relaxing in the backyard with a good stick is hard to beat.

This is me verbatim. The drive to work in the AM is what kills me. That or a road trip.

Tried some Redman back in high school...swallowed most of it when confronted by a teacher. The ensuing dizziness and vomiting resolved any interest in chew. The smell of chew will make me want to dry heave. I smoked cigarettes off and on for probably 10 years and then one day decided that I don't want to anymore and haven't touched one since.

I have maybe 1 or 2 cigars a year when celebrating. I'm not entirely sure I know which ones are good and which ones are bad

Chewed a little Levi Garrett and Redman Golden Blend in my younger days, but dipped Copenhagen for about 33 years. Always said I could quit when I wanted. Switched around with some different Skoal flavors for another 2 years. Buddy told me on the way home from Montana 2016 might as well just quit, so I threw the can away and quit just like that. Last year I bought 6 or 8 cans and took to Montana for our 2 week archery elk hunt. Quit again the day I got home. I miss it when fishing or around a camp fire but other than that, I don't think about it much...until September...
Haven't had a cigar in many many years. Backwoods was my brand!

Dipped for longer than I'd like to admit, me and Copenhagen are getting close to our final breakup I hope I've quit off and on throughout the years longest was about a year and fell back into it. The damage that it can do goes through my mind everyday. Hoping to make this my final breakup with it.

I chewed Days O Work plug tobacco when I was a teenager for a couple of years. One day at work I noticed an old guy buying the same stuff and his gums were black and his teeth were coffee brown.
I quit chewing after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back