Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Chukars?

MKotur325

So, Looks like I may get my first chance to hunt Chukars coming up before long. Will be going in ID with a friend who hunts them regularly. Love hunting Huns and Sharpies. Should be a blast (literally and figuratively). Not exactly sure where we will be going, will be hunting over pointing dogs.

Any tips/pointers, hunt high/hunt low, Shooting tips...

Bring your hiking boots! Think sheep hunting vs. pheasants in fields. Lots of ID chukars like rocks and steep. I also like to have a sling on my shotgun that I can put on/off easily. I got a chukar fix last year and love chasing them things. Just remember, the first time you hunt chukars it's for fun, all other times after that are for revenge! :D

This is what Chukar country in ID looks like

hcr%20113.jpg

ORNEH-116-Topography-of-Hells-Canyon-from-Hat-Point-eastern-Oregon.jpg

Accept the fact that you will miss more than you think you should. Chukar's have some evil in them.

I like to hunt up until I find birds, then I'll stay at the elevation. Then, you get to go downhill to the truck at the end of the day.

Hunting over pointers I'd probably go modified choke and #6 shot. I'll often shoot IC chokes early in the year, and very rarely would go to full for late season.

When you flush the birds, approach from the side. Go up or down a little based on the topography. You want to force them to flush up a little bit instead of being able to dive off of a cliff, in which case you'll waste your time shooting at them. Even if you hit one, the dogs will hate you when they are done with the retrieve.

Wear stout boots. I wear my Lowa Sheep Hunters for late season chukars. Take lots of water, I'll take 2 liters even in December/January. Take a full box of shells. Take food and some chapstick.

Attachments

• Chukar country.jpg
    Chukar country.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 356
  • Snake River.jpg
    Snake River.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 341

That is an intense retrieve!!! Wow. Seems like the tough part is getting to the top. Should be a blast..

Sling on the shotgun is a bit of an issue... I shoot a double w/o sling studs. Have been looking to pick up a new stick, but wont have the time/finances to fund such a project at this time... Been keepin an eye out for a 20ga SKB double in good shape that isn't over priced... hard to find.

That is an intense retrieve!!! Wow. Seems like the tough part is getting to the top. Should be a blast..

Sling on the shotgun is a bit of an issue... I shoot a double w/o sling studs. Have been looking to pick up a new stick, but wont have the time/finances to fund such a project at this time... Been keepin an eye out for a 20ga SKB double in good shape that isn't over priced... hard to find.

You can get slings that just loop onto the stock and barrel. I haven't drilled out my Beretta either. Just carry it in your vest.

Edit: You don't have to have the sling on all the time, just have it with you in case you need to descend through some nasty stuff like cliffs, scree, icy hilsides, etc. and want your hands free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately,everybody in my area is having a tough time finding chukar this year.
I hope you get on some birds its my favorite upland hunt.

Always hunt the dogs into the wind. Even if you have to make a 2 mile loop to get the wind in your favor. Don't chase them uphill.They will run uphill ahead of you and flush out of range. Again, loop around and come down on them. When you come at them from above they usually set. Don't shoot all the shells at the initial covey flush(unless you have good,high percentage shots). More times than not there will be a late flusher or two and more times than not the guns are empty. If your dog is real good at retrieving and finding cripples try to get a double out of each covey flush. If not shoot 1 bird, mark it well and get over there quickly. Cripples will run,flop, crawl under rocks and do all they can to get away. Hunt the snowline first, then go higher if you have to.Look for south facing slopes that have bare ground where the birds can feed easier.
This is a terrible year for chukar in E. Oregon.I haven't hunted chukar this season as I can't hike very far right now but I usually get plenty of birds hunting out my front door. I saw a few in deer season but haven't heard or seen a chukar since. I've heard the same about the Owyhee country from a friend who hunted deer there,real poor. If you do run into birds they will more than likely be older, wilder birds that are really a challenge to hunt and you can be proud of putting some in the bag. If you do get some you will earn them. I never thought of them as devil birds or hunting them for revenge. It's taken me into some incredible,wild country and you never know what you'll see in a day's chukar hike. I sure miss chasing them.

This is one of those hunts I can scratch off my bucket list after... Really looking forward to it! I've never considered them evil, I really hope I can knock one down late season with great coloring... Might get it mounted. Always enjoyed the look, and I hear they are excellent table fare!

If you can make long second and third shots you'll get more birds. Modified with 6s and maybe 3 inch fives for your third shot. Shoot to kill.

They are excellent table fare, probably my favorite upland bird to eat.

I'm going on Thursday :D

Thanks for all the advice. I have plenty of 2 3/4 Kent Fastled 6's. I'll run those.

As far as chokes and shots go. I run a SxS for everything, and am comfortable on shots with huns out to about 40-45yds. I was planning on choking the SxS ImpCyl/ImpMod, but am open to suggestions. That is my standard chokes over pointing dogs for huns.

Anyone hunt both Huns and Chukars? Any thoughts on relative speed and difficulty to shoot between the two?

The Kent FastLead is an excellent choice.

Go with the chokes you are used to.

Relative speed and size is very similar. If anything, I think Huns are a little faster. What makes the red legged devil so challenging is that you are trying to shoot him while you are in a complete hypoxic state from chasing him up the darned hill.

About all I shoot anymore is Kent Fastlead and Fiocchi Golden Phesant. Both pattern really well in this shotgun, and are mild enough recoil. I have a real hard time anymore shooting 3"ers at little birds. In 2010, while phesant hunting I swatted a hun at close range with a 3" Fiocchi GP, 1 3/4oz 6's. It was not a way to respect that bird... Only one breast was salvageable. Its the only time in my experience hunting that I felt over gunned.

Anyone hunt both Huns and Chukars? Any thoughts on relative speed and difficulty to shoot between the two?

Here in southwestern Idaho, I have found that where there are chukars...there are huns. I was surprised to hear that in MT the huns hang out in the same areas that sharpies do. Basically you can hunt them like pheasants. But in my experiences I find huns up in the lava caps same as chukar and I often end up with a mixed bag of the two. IMHO, Huns are the tougher bird to chase, they flush quicker and they all get up at the same time, whereas chukar might get up one at a time offering more shot opportunities. As far as relative speed wise, I think they are both equally fast and have become my favorite birds to hunt over the last few years.

Back