Yeti GOBOX Collection

Chronic Wasting Disease Research and Management Act

I read it. - I don't see anything here but a USDA pork payment to the captive cervid industry.
Certifying game farms as safe is like health checks in a Nevada cathouse. Both put a happy face on exploitation.

They CAUSED the problem. Game farms should be banned and that money should go to USFWS.

I wouldn't say they caused it, no game farms in Wyoming and we have CWD out the wazoo.

And game farms don’t ship deer and elk all over the place all the time…

too many unknowns to point the fingers at game farmers. we hunters could be just as capable of spreading, travel to a cwd area shoot a deer take the carcass home to process or just the head home, put it outside, now it's in the environment.

i'm going to guess a mix of both groups are to blame but real task is management since it's not going away anytime soon

too many unknowns to point the fingers at game farmers. we hunters could be just as capable of spreading, travel to a cwd area shoot a deer take the carcass home to process or just the head home, put it outside, now it's in the environment.

i'm going to guess a mix of both groups are to blame but real task is management since it's not going away anytime soon

I guess it is totally a coincidence then that the areas where CWD initially showed up a considerable distance away from the CWD epicenter (Ft. Collins, CO) were the areas near game farms that had imported animals from infected areas.

I guess there were probably a lot of hunters that hunted CWD positive areas and hauled carcasses of CWD positive animals to areas that were very near the game farms that turned up positive; I am sure that is what happened.

ClearCreek

Submitted my sample to MT FWP the morning of the 10th. Still waiting on results. If testing isn't a priority, then they shouldn't complain when it pops up in a new area unexpectedly.

Submitted mine the same day. Had my results in 3 days 🤷🏻‍♀️
First and most obvious problem was that they only shipped samples to Bozeman on Tuesdays. The 10th was a Wednesday, so it sat there for almost a week before even making the trip to the lab.

I'm not sure what the goal is. Is it to determine prevalence or just let me know, eventually, if I should throw it away?

First and most obvious problem was that they only shipped samples to Bozeman on Tuesdays. The 10th was a Wednesday, so it sat there for almost a week before even making the trip to the lab.

I'm not sure what the goal is. Is it to determine prevalence or just let me know, eventually, if I should throw it away?
Kind of sucks there isn’t a faster way of testing. Get your animal home and processed and in the freezer just to find out it’s positive.

Anyone have issues eating the meat if it’s CWD positive? Asking for a friend 😗 CDC says it’s not passed to humans.

On a side note RMEF has a video on CWD and they mentioned South Korea and Norway of all places. Kinda weird, and not really sure if it’s a result of game farms or hunters bringing to Norway or South Korea…

Anyone have issues eating the meat if it’s CWD positive? Asking for a friend 😗 CDC says it’s not passed to humans.
The CDC does not say anything remotely that definitive. Money paragraph pasted below...

To date, there have been no reported cases of CWD infection in people. However, some animal studies suggest CWD poses a risk to certain types of non-human primates, like monkeys, that eat meat from CWD-infected animals or come in contact with brain or body fluids from infected deer or elk. These studies raise concerns that there may also be a risk to people.

There are always people willing to test the waters, but it won't be me.

On a side note RMEF has a video on CWD and they mentioned South Korea and Norway of all places. Kinda weird, and not really sure if it’s a result of game farms or hunters bringing to Norway or South Korea…

Not a chance am I feeding it to my family

This swift bipartisan passage of the Chronic Wasting Disease Research and Management Act reflects the incredible need for resources to study and stop the spread of the disease on behalf of our wild deer herds and hunting opportunities,” says Whit Fosburgh, president and CEO of the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership. “This legislation has the federal government stepping up its responsibility for addressing CWD, giving state agency staff more support, focusing the scope of much-needed research, and educating the full spectrum of stakeholders—from hunters to the captive cervid industry—so that we are all accountable for advancing CWD solutions.”

The legislation calls for an annual $70-million investment through fiscal year 2028 on an even split of CWD management and research priorities. It also includes authorization for federal, state, and Tribal agencies to develop educational materials to inform the public on CWD and directs the U.S. Department of Agriculture to review its Herd Certification Program, which accredits captive operations as “low-risk” for CWD contamination but has proven inadequate to stem the spread of the disease.

$35 million per year for research would focus on:​

• Methods to effectively detect CWD in live and harvested deer and the surrounding environment
  • Best practices for reducing CWD occurrence through sustainable harvest of deer and other cervids
  • Factors contributing to spread of the disease locally, such as animal movement and scavenging

$35 million per year for management, including surveillance and testing, would prioritize:​

• Areas with the highest incidence of CWD
  • Areas responding to new outbreaks of CWD
  • Areas without CWD that show the greatest risk of CWD emerging
  • Jurisdictions demonstrating the greatest financial commitment to managing, monitoring, surveying, and researching CWD
  • Efforts to develop comprehensive policies and programs focused on CWD management

I find that photo to be a very curious choice

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back