Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Christmas shopping...

Before I left for my midwest whitetail trip, I asked the wife for a list to do some Christmas shopping before I leave. "No need," she replies. "Were not doing gifts this year."

Cool, one less thing I gotta do before I head out for a few weeks. I know, you guys who have been married for a while are saying, "Come on Fin, you know better than to fall for that chit." You're right, I knew better, but I was focused on hunting.

Well, I get home over the weekend, and she starts talking about gift stuff. I remind her we decided on no gifts this year. She says nothing.

I come home for lunch today, and looks like Santa's sleigh broke down at my house. I glance at the pile of packages and mumble, "Uh Honey, what about our no gift deal?"

"Well, I knew there were a few things you probably wanted, so I picked them up while I was at Bass Pro in Vegas." This is wife speak for - "I spent too much money while in Vegas, and this is a balancing of the ledger."

Now I am screwed. I cancel my after-lunch appointment. Run down Main Street, thinking there must be something I can find that will save me from "Husband Hell." I can't find anything that she doesn't already have, or that she wants. Go to the mall - same result.

So, I race home and conspire with son who has come home for Christmas. He assures me that women are more concerned with effort and thoughtfulness. Yeah, like he would know? A college freshman's idea of thoughtfulness extends as far as, "If were gonna french kiss, at least drink a beer I like."

In my attempt at thoughtfulness, I create my own mushy Christmas Card from scratch. I print off a coupon for each of her favorite eating places. In the card, I commit that I will take her on twelve dates this year. One for each of the twleve days of Christmas. I have provided a calendar showing the dates that are blocked out (for hunting, but I'm not telling her that). Looks like I will have twleve hot dates crammed into April and June.

I am quite nervous, knowing the state of my marital bliss hangs in the balance. The odds of my marriage dissolving due to her changing her mind about gifts and leaving me in a last minute lurch, are probably better than 50/50.

Anyone married for twenty years, as I have been, knows when a wife says, "I don't want anything." you had better find something. For all of you single guys, this is a prime example of wife speak. They never say what they mean, and fair or not, you are at the mercy of what they really meant. Mind reading skills come in real handy.

I am fugged. Yup, my hunting is toast. |oo|oo|oo

Oh, gotta run, she is calling for me after hanging the ceremonial mistletoe. Wish me luck. :eek:

It's hard to sympathtize with you when you admit to knowing better! Fortunately, my wife is happy with small stuff. You know, diamonds and such. ;)

Just kidding - I really am blessed with a wonderful wife who is happy with simple things. She doesn't use the computer so she is always asking me to print out directions for her...I got her one of the Garmin Nuvi navigation devices along with some other stuff.

Two years ago, my wife announced that she knew what we were getting each other for Christmas. I was buying her all new living room furniture, and she was buying me new wall to wall carpeting...huh. The old Wall to Wall was only 27 years old. Well, whats a guy gonna do, but say OK. Off to the furniture store we go, she points out all the stuff she wants, and I write a check. OK, off to the carpeting place. She points out the carpet and underlayment she wants (wait, this was supposed to be my gift), and I pull out the check book and write another check. We each have our own checking accounts, and a household account. Both checks were written on my checking account, she said she would pay me back for the carpeting, that still hasn't happened, and I am to smart to even bring it up. If I bring it up, we are going to have to discuss, deer hunts, bear hunts, canadian fishing trips, the boats, etc.
Last year, she wanted new lawn furniture for her, and a new PUSH MOWER for me (first off, I very seldom cut the grass, she does it).
This year I beat her to the punch, I went to the jewelry store, so when she started her ideas for Christmas I told her my shopping was done already. Then I left the Cabelas master catalog on her makeup table, with the pages marked. I seen some Cabelas boxes on the porch from UPS.
Since last year for my birthday she bought me a new bedroom suite, I am buying her a new GPS, Fishfinder for her birthday. Hope she likes it.

I love all the hoops we jump through this time of year to make everyone 'happy'...

Christmas was simple in our house this year. What little extra we had in the bank for gifts was spent on the little guy. Course I'm thinking I should be able to afford a mustache/festivus pole ride for her...

Tuesday, the 23rd, the local news showed a live shot of the local mall, AT 11 PM. It was jam packed at 11 at night.
My wife does 98% of the shopping, and I always start listening for hints by Nov.1.
I finished last Staurday. I just ask her "what did I buy for my brother" ? "my mother" ? ect.

last minute ideas......

Today I made my last minute trip to gather the rest of my holiday trimmings. Yes, like an idiot, I waited untill the last minute to do so. I found myself surrounded by hordes of like 'idiots" wrangling for gifts they had waited to buy untill the very last minute. As luck would have it, I only needed a few small purchases. I quickly garnered the nessesary items, and then, was just kinda casually looking around at other things. Then, I came upon the section of the store where they had scented candles. Uhmm, I said to myself, a nice smelling candle would be the final "crowning" touch to add a wonderfull fragrance to my festive home. I plundered through the selection untill I found what I had really been looking for. Yep, you quessed it, the one dollar specials!! That's what I'm talkin about!! They were in these little round, brightly colored tins, and on the top it stated what scent was to fumigate the inside of your home. So many choices, there were cinnamon, apple, holly. peach, plum and everything imaginable. Right next to these were some very similar tins, same size, same lids, but these were not "nice" candles. They were gag gifts. The first one I picked up had on its lid, "The Scent of ELF SHIT". I laughed, of course, and then I did what only a guy would do in this situation.Thats right, my curiousity made me want to know what Elf Shit smells like. Is this some flaw in male genes?? So, I cautiously cracked open the lid and took a whiff...GAWWGHH!!! Down to the floor I went! To the other shoppers, I must have appeared like an insect that had just been sprayed with a can of Raid. On my back, kicking, sucking for air. Man, that stuff smelled like a cross between an old sweaty gym sock, beer farts, rotten eggs and a dead salmon!! I thought to myself, who in thier right mind would buy this? This cesspool of stinkin........That's when it hit me.....a terrible, awfull, Grinch like idea formed in my twisted mind. "refer back to flaws in male genes" A sinister smile started spreading slowly across my face, and I think the top of my hair stood up. DOYING!! HMMM? What would happen if I were to switch the lids from the nice candles to the bad ones?? Surely, not everyone is as smart as me, and actually smells the candles first. Someone in hurry would easily be duped into thinking they were taking home the Scent of Holly, only later to be exclaiming, HOLY ELF SHIET!! I will never admit to my crime against humanity. I will just sit here and think of the poor unsuspecting candle lighter, and smile...........That Grinch like smile.......

Back