Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Choosing out of state units

mxracer317

This will be my 1st year putting in for tags out of state, in multiple states. For those of you have done it before, my question is; how do you know where to be looking that is good for hunting?

Obviously, no one is going to share their special spot... but if a person isn't familiar with the state it almost seems like a needle in a haystack approach?

I use OnX and GoHunt... but would hate to spend time and money getting to a new state hunt and finding out it was a bad place. Especially because preseason scouting in multiple states is impossible.

Thanks in advance for helping me learn!

Success rates in previous years
Percentage of public land
Number of tags given out for the size of the area
How many points a unit requires/Random draw odds
Ruggedness of terrain
What kind of country you like to hunt
Logistical considerations--travel distances, places to stay, etc.

I do think you have to spend some time reviewing this yourself, not just depend on somebody's ratings or recommendations.

QQ

Success rates in previous years
Percentage of public land
Number of tags given out for the size of the area
How many points a unit requires/Random draw odds
Ruggedness of terrain
What kind of country you like to hunt
Logistical considerations--travel distances, places to stay, etc.

I do think you have to spend some time reviewing this yourself, not just depend on somebody's ratings or recommendations.

QQ
That’s the plan! Looking to get pointers in the right decision. Thank you for the response!

There is just no good substitute for putting your own two feet on the ground. If you are relying on info that others have made public you are going to be a few years behind the curve.

I would look for places that have good habitat and that haven't been in the spotlight the last few years.

Personally I sort by max preference points and go from there and start back figure my way in.

No sense at looking at anything if I cant draw the tag....

I dont get hung up on success rates. If I look at success rates I look at a 3-5 year average of them.

Watch Randy’s e-scouring videos on YouTube and key in factors that favor certain units over others. There are also some elk talk podcast that go over how Corey and Randy choose units.

The biggest one for me is public land %. Then I decide where I want to lay my head every night, i.e. backpack hunt, truck hunt, motel hunt. That usually leads me to a couple units and I pick the one with the best access.

This will be my 1st year putting in for tags out of state, in multiple states. For those of you have done it before, my question is; how do you know where to be looking that is good for hunting?

Obviously, no one is going to share their special spot... but if a person isn't familiar with the state it almost seems like a needle in a haystack approach?

I use OnX and GoHunt... but would hate to spend time and money getting to a new state hunt and finding out it was a bad place. Especially because preseason scouting in multiple states is impossible.

Thanks in advance for helping me learn!

This is a tough question to get straight answers for on this site....Do you know someone that hunts the states you're looking for? That may be a place to start. Don't be afraid to call the state fish and game office. I have done that several times with success.

Back