Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

choosing a powder?????

tnctcb

i have 2 manuals and neither explain thouroly how to choose the right powder they only give a recipe for some. i am trying to work a load for my 223 and when i looked it listed alot of powders so i thought i might start with some i already had. someone recommended win248 so i bought that, then i saw loads with h414 that i use for 270 and 7mm-08 and h380 that i used for 243. why would any of these powders be good or bad for 223.doing a little research i found that h414 has a recipe from 223 up to 300 mag that seems like a wide range to me

Tim,

There's no clear answer to your question. You can tinker and fart around with different recipes forever if that is what floats your boat. Generally speaking, pick a powder that fills the case which gives less variance in pressures.

I don't like fart around with ton's of variables in my 4 rifles.

I find one combination of case, primer, powder and bullet and shoot only that combination in that rifle no matter what its aimed at. I just choose the appropriate rifle for the intended game. I know its on, and the bullet will kill the poo out the critter.

I use IMR 4350 for all my rifles 300 winny, 30-06, 270 and 223 wssm.

Tim, Here's a recipe for 223 using either 52, 53, or 55 grain bullets.
26.5 grains of BLC-2 or H-335 with a CCI SRM primer. Velocity has been around 3300 fps and accuracy has been outstanding. I've tried that load combination is no fewer than 15 rifles now, using WW and Rem and FED brass. The only problem I've had is with military brass. This load is very marginally over capacity, so load it carefully.

To answer your questions about choosing a powder, there are a couple of things I consider. Bullet weight, barrel length, rifle preference for other loads.

Generally speaking, you need slower powders for use with heavier bullets. Faster powders for ligher bullets. Using a longer barrel you can burn a higher quantity of slow powder. Using the same powder in a shorter barrel will be a waste of time. I'll tell you a secret that becomes truer the longer I load.
If you find a load with a specific weight bullet the shoots well, you are better off using the same weight of a faster or slower powder for a heavier or lighter bullet.
I prefer using a ball powder when I can. It measures better, burns cooler and tends to be more consistant than Lincoln log extruded powder. Mostly with a new rifle, it's just experimentation.. Keep fooling around until you hind one that your rifle likes..

:cool:

I agree with Dan on the H-335 or BLC-2. Win 748 (did you mean that powder and not Win 2 48?) is also good, but does not give quite the velocity of the other two mentioned. Add one grain of powder to Dan's suggestion to use W-748. I find that 28 gr works very well with a 50 gr bullet in both of my .223s - but start lower and work up. W-748 is also a ball powder and measures well.

I agree with both danr and CH. The WW748 and H335 are two excellent powder choices for the 223. That being said, not long ago I tried some N133 in a 223 and it was considerably faster, decidedly more accurate and burned cleaner than either the 748 or the H335 using 50gr bullets.

Only drawbacks that I see to the N133 is that it is expensive stuff (around here anyway), and the 223, 222, 222 Mag, or the 22BR is about the only ones I've seen it used in.WD

Pick a couple of powders that give the greatest velocity with the starting loads and start with those, that usually, but not always, works for me. In general the more accurate, consistent loads will be the ones that fill the case to 85% capacity with a starting load.

I'm currently going through the same process! I bought an NEF bull barrel .223 with a 1-12" twist. Bullet weights are restricted to 55 grs. and less. So far I've tried 4895, 4064,and am going to test 3031 and H322 this Sat. Bullet weights are 52 and 55 gr.
So far the best group has been with the 55 gr. ballistic silvertip!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back