Cheyenne Pro's and Cons

Make sure you add hail damage coverage to everything you insure.
So what your saying is no change from my current situation? :rolleyes: Lost three cars and three roofs in the last 7 years to hail. Other than being a little windier than Colorado Springs, weather appears to be similar. One of the reasons why we've settled on Cheyenne. That and less than 3 hours drive from the family

So what your saying is no change from my current situation? :rolleyes: Lost three cars and three roofs in the last 7 years to hail. Other than being a little windier than Colorado Springs, weather appears to be similar. One of the reasons why we've settled on Cheyenne. That and less than 3 hours drive from the family
Unfortunately that's exactly what I'm saying. We moved to Wyoming with really nice glass patio furniture. Lasted one summer before hail destroyed it all. Wrought iron it is! Lost one roof, two cars and a camper.

I lived in Cheyenne for several years…I guess living there depends on your family life. If you have kids and a young family then Cheyenne blows!

First the pros:

Absolutely best hunting for western big game anywhere I have lived (UT, CO, NV)

Decent fishing but not as good as the Green River in Utah.

Great people and friends

Tons of outdoor things to do in late spring through early fall.

Cons:

Wind

Wind

Wind

Did I mention the wind. This is the only place I have ever lived where I could not go hunting on a bright sunny day in October because of sustained 60 MPH wind.

Almost no programs for little kids

No appetite to make the city better for residence. I can’t even remember the number of times I was told if you want that crap (city improvements, rec centers etc) then move to CO.

Schools are not great. There is really only one area with decent schools.

Both good and bad…the population has not changed much in the past 10 years (plus or minus a 1000).

Cheyenne was the only place I have lived where I was afraid for my son. We had to put alarms on the doors because the wind and cold was no joke and we were afraid he might try and get outside in the winter when he was very young (2-6). A couple days of 50 plus MPH wind and below zero temps will make you realize how important rec centers and other amenities are.

All that said, I would move back there in a minute for retirement.

No mention of the refinery? The wind blows the stench around everywhere I have been in town. Maybe you get used to it...

I'm sure some parts of town are nice, but where my in-laws live, the neighborhood has gone to hell. They have new curbs and gutters, and from what I can tell the City keeps the streets clean and traffic moving, but the amount of trashy cars, loud stereos, poorly dressed, toothless, red-necks is off the charts. I was there a month or so ago and asking myself, "Why is Cheyenne such a s***hole?" I'm genuinely curious why it's so much different (in a bad way) from all the front range cities in CO.

Also...wind.

Cheyenne is slowly turning into Greeley with an air force base and capitol. A lot more crime than there was years ago. Lots more drug, gang, etc activity than there used to be. Go downtown to listen to music and you will find a lot of pit bulls, raiders gear, thugs, etc.. But it's one of the most Colorado towns in Wyoming due to the proximity to the front range.

The reality of the situation is this. There is a reason the population chart in WY and WV are flat over the years. Sure there is some nice stuff in those states, but overall people do not like living there for a variety of reasons.

The main advantage Cheyenne has over the rest of the state is a ChicFila. Only one in the state.

A disabled vet can also start hunting sooner. I think they get a 5 day head start on seasons.

Recent transplant from CO to WY. It was the right move for us… But there is a good amount to consider…

I'd take Laramie or Casper over Cheyenne, but would take Cheyenne in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I'd take a plot of land.000001" over the Wyoming border in the middle of a dried up dirt lot just to be able to apply as a resident.

I'm a Laramie native living in Cheyenne. I really dislike Cheyenne relative to the rest of the state, even Rawlins, but it's a good fit for us due to the recreational opportunities for the kids. It's a square town, like the Mitt Romney of Wyoming. The biggest advantage is that it's not in CO. My biggest complaint is lack of proximity to large swaths of public land with few people. If the Vedauwoo area had blue grouse, snowshoe hares, more turkeys and fewer roads, I'd think differently.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back