Yeti GOBOX Collection

Chesapeake Bay Conservation Petition

oxn939

Not often these days that you see a conservation story starting to go straight in the right direction, but that's shaping up to be the case in Virginia. I'll do my best to keep a very long story short for anyone who's not familiar.

The Chesapeake Bay ecosystem rests on the shoulders of a baitfish called Menhaden (or pogy or bunker- colloquial names for the same species, B. Tyrannus). They are smallish, oily and have no eating value to humans, but everything else eats them- Striped Bass, Cobia, Red Drum, Bluefin, Humbpack Whales, etc. When I was in high school ('08), the Bay was in the middle of a pretty incredible ecological comeback, with populations of trophy Striped Bass making national headlines. The night this picture was taken, we caught 14 fish this size; we literally stopped fishing multiple lines because a rod would go down with a fish like that every time you got a bait into the strike zone.

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 8.18.11 PM.png

That fishery is completely dead now. The Mid Atlantic Rockfish Shootout, a tournament with a six figure payout for winners, literally raffled away the purse one year because not a single boat caught anything. Some people will debate this next point, but the death of not only that fishery but also of the Bay at large is mostly due to this company Omega Protein. Omega is a Canadian company that purse seines Menhaden and grinds them up into oil and meal to be used in cosmetics and nutritional supplements, and they are truly rapacious. They have violated their quotas, committed numerous environmental crimes and are generally in the business of destroying the Chesapeake Bay ecosystem and lying about how irresponsible they are. I have many friends who are watermen and care deeply for the bay, and Omega is something very different than them.

Where this comes to a head is that they have recently stopped caring enough that it's gotten the public's attention, in the form of spilling tens of thousands of fish they killed onto beaches to the point that they became unusable for tourists or local families. So, politicians are taking notice. This one is from this week near an Omega net spill.

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 8.34.23 PM.png

So if you've read this far, I implore you to help us out and sign TRCP's petition to stop industrial menhaden fishing the Bay. VA is the only state that currently allows them to fish within state waters, and the ecosystem simply cannot support what they are doing to it. Thanks in advance for the support and I'm happy to discuss if anyone has questions or input.

TL;DR- petition to stop foreign company from destroying the Chesapeake Bay's ecosystem for lipstick and pig food located below.

I recall the Menhaden commercial fishing situation gone amok was mentioned on a Meateater podcast a bit ago. First I’d ever heard of it. Thanks for posting.

Then Canadians must be out of poutine to be so ornery

I agree 100% with this post about the menhaden fishery. Why its been unnoticed and poorly regulated is just beyond me.

I agree 100% with this post about the menhaden fishery. Why its been unnoticed and poorly regulated is just beyond me.

Because of stuff like this:

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 10.24.41 AM.png

A little hard to believe that stuff like this is still effective or actually happens in 2022, but what you see with Omega is straight up bribery as if taken out of an old western movie. Glenn Youngkin is VA's current governor, for anyone wondering.

Even worse considering how much research and federal oversight has been going on with menhaden for decades. Still can't get it right.

Ironically the increase in the menhaden fishery in NY is being blamed as one of the reasons for increase in shark bites. NY figured out the importance and the ecosystem responded when the overfishing was stopped. I guess that means a few more sharks but it means plenty of other species as well.

Signed. I'll be fishing and crabbing the bay this weekend. Sad what it is when compared to 5-10 years ago.

It's strange how different States work are at odds with each other. I lived in Maryland, Chesapeake Bay area for a number of years up till 2019. In Maryland you have to pay a "rain tax" if you live within the watershed of Chesapeake Bay, while Virginia and Pennsylvania residents do not. Even in Maryland, I don't believe the tax applies as you move into the upper reaches of the watershed. The rain tax is based on the square footage of all impervious surfaces on your property, whether it's your roof, driveway, patio ect.. The tax pays for conservation and improving the health of the Bay ecosystem. So, one group gets taxed to improve conditions while VA/PA residents living in the same watershed maintain the status quo. I personally didn't agree with the tax and even more so when it became clear that only residents in a small percentage of the overall watershed were being burdened while others continued polluting.

Signed. I'll be fishing and crabbing the bay this weekend. Sad what it is when compared to 5-10 years ago.

Thanks so much for all the support, guys. This is a really critical fight for the bay and one I think we finally have a good shot of winning.

This has been building for years between both menhaden and crabs. Seems like since i left it has gotten way worse. Fishing the tunnels lightlines for stripers is a truley amazing experiance that all fishermen should experiance at least once.

This has been building for years between both menhaden and crabs. Seems like since i left it has gotten way worse.

As with most components of ecosystems, the two are closely related. As menhaden populations are driven down by Omega's fleet, predators shift to other prey species, which in this case has been shown to include blue crabs. So, you hear a lot of guys saying "keep all the redfish you can, they're eating al the crabs."

That may be true right now, but only because they live in an unnatural and stunted environment which includes only a tiny percentage of the menhaden they have historically depended on to survive.

Keep those signatures coming, guys. We're being heard.

Just like most problems there are a few main causes. The commercial harvest of bunker is a very very big problem. I also believe we are killing way to many of the bass and breeding bass. Harvest should be limited to post spawn and no pre spawn kill in NJ & NY. I love to eat the bass but I have released at least 200 over 35lbs and my largest at 53 inches was released.

Last edited:
I also believe we are killing way to many of the bass and breeding bass.

100% agree with this. Striper over 30 pounds are pretty universally poor eating quality, and the hero photos on the dock with limits of big gravid females are gross to see. If they put a moratorium on fish over 35" and started enforcing some of the rules they've allowed Omega to blatantly disregard, they Bay would be a very different place in ten years.

15 to 20 years ago when there was that really good late winter Jan/Feb migration run all the way below Oregon inlet watched a commercial boat high grade all morning sweeping thru netting hundred or so bass each pass and letting 30 to 35lbers lay on the deck as they could only keep/sell 50 fish. Anyway they swooped thru them a few times and by the time the kept their 50 fish most were in the high 40lb to 50 lb range and the 35lb plus dead bass just kicked overboard. They had to kill a few hundred to keep the 50 they were allowed.

That run is almost dead now and the fish rarely go below the stateline and the main run stops at Rudee inlet.

Just be careful for what you ask for because we can look at the “temporary” ban on fishing for herring for what happens when they take something away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back