Chapter 3: Bighorn Sheep fail

sacountry

Hunted sheep on Monday and Tuesday of this week. On Tuesday I spotted what I think is the biggest ram of the unit based upon all the low to mid 170 rams I've been seeing. Estimate this guy to be a mid to upper 180s ram. Here's a video of him with me on a stalk. It's 7 minutes but it's easy to FF to the sheep.

Couldn't have been more picture perfect. Wind in our face. Sheep is a small divot of land offering good cover. Very sad to say that I fired a shot at 165 yards, but the gun dry fired. Loaded another round and missed the target completely. The sheep huddled out of sight. Then when they made a break for it up a shale hillside, I fired 2 more times. Each shot confirmed by my spotter that I was missing the target, first high then left. These were close range shots. I wanted to snap my dad's old 30'06 over my knee. It's now Friday and I haven't slept much since Tuesday.

I should be going back to the sheep unit for the weekend the tail end of the rut, but I made a commitment to my son to elk hunt this weekend so we're headed out together. Yet another opportunity for me to adjust my attitude, get in to the right mindset, and also leave the 30'06 at home. To top it off, there is a confirmed Tom roaming the district, seen on Wednesday in the middle of the day eating on a sheep kill.

This season has been a roller coaster like none other. I've felt ill more than once now and proud joy just once.

Your luck will turn for the better. You are finding rams. Shoot at some paper to get highly confident in the rifle you are taking next time. Hope you find a nice ram!

I think I'd have to be admitted to the psych ward if I was riding the roller coaster your on. Keep at it partner you'll prevail. That's a dandy ram! Good luck!

Sit and have a sandwich or shell some peanut of psitasios if you prefer. You have plenty of time.

For so many of us, myself included, missing a dream ram is the first step to getting a ram. It seems like they have a force field around them the first time you shoot at them.

If I could give one piece of advice to somebody with a big 3 tag it would be to burn the deer and elk tags and maximize the time sheep hunting.
Then again, I’d probably burn my marriage and my job too, but that would be bad advice.

For so many of us, myself included, missing a dream ram is the first step to getting a ram. It seems like they have a force field around them the first time you shoot at them.

If I could give one piece of advice to somebody with a big 3 tag it would be to burn the deer and elk tags and maximize the time sheep hunting.
Then again, I’d probably burn my marriage and my job too, but that would be bad adv

Keep your head up, and in the game. I would definitely hit the range and get that mental monkey off your back.
Thanks. I did go there yesterday. I swapped out the scope on the 30'06. Discovered two screws were loose, one on each ring on opposing sides of the scope. At the range, with the the swapped out scope, the '06 was still spraying at 100 yards. Couldn't get it to group. Sooooo, I'm going to carry my .300 for these final weeks of the season. Monkey with the '06 in the off season. I just hope beyond hope that I can find that ram again.

Then again, I’d probably burn my marriage and my job too, but that would be bad advice.
I hear you. I made a covenant with my wife (can't break that) and a weekend hunt promise to my son (thinking I'd be done sheep hunting by this weekend). I can't break the commitment I made to him. He's really looking forward to it and I don't want him to learn that it's ok to break commitments. Putting work on the back burner is the other option and that's being exercised.

Beautiful ram and you already know the area they are in, so I agree with everyone else: maximize your time looking for that ram and you will find him.

I was using my dad's 300 RUM while buffalo hunting a couple years ago and missed my first buffalo (I know hard to imagine missing an entire buffalo, smh). Come to find out, the rings had come loose and it was a whole two feet higher than when we sighted it in, which didn't help when the buffalo trotted over to national park. Just to get rid of the bad juju I switched it out for my trusty 300 win mag and didn't look back. Confidence is key.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing a success video!

Consider putting a bipod on your gun or have a shooting stick. No sense fiddling around looking for a rest when your dream ram is out in front of you?

An old heirloom rifle failing to perform has been a common thread in many stories I've heard this fall, some of those are special for sure but the more I hear things like this the more I think my grandad's rifle will not be going on any hunts with me except as a backup...

I would have a chat with jr. about the once in a lifetime nature of the tag and see if he is willing to just accompany you on the sheep hunt. Maybe he will understand and not hold it over you.

Thanks. I did go there yesterday. I swapped out the scope on the 30'06. Discovered two screws were loose, one on each ring on opposing sides of the scope. At the range, with the the swapped out scope, the '06 was still spraying at 100 yards. Couldn't get it to group. Sooooo, I'm going to carry my .300 for these final weeks of the season. Monkey with the '06 in the off season. I just hope beyond hope that I can find that ram again.
Did you check the bases for loose screws as well?

I’d stick with your plan. Hunt with your son and take the slack up with taking time off work during the last week.
Work will be there when you get back. Sheep tags and opportunity with your son won’t.
I wouldn’t sweat that lion getting your ram.

Did you check the bases for loose screws as well?
I did. Those were tight. Since the gun worked fine on the mountain goat in early October, I didn't think to take it back out to the range. In hindsight, with these tags, a last minute range check is apparently a good idea.

Back