Changing rifles because of excess recoil.

I have shot everything from my 505 gibbs, several 416's and my 458 Lott, all the Weatherby's (the 338/378 being the worst!!! for recoil, helping at a sight in day for out of state travellers at the range)and with a proper stock and guns that weigh 9-10 pounds and the recoil is very tolerable. The worst recoil I ever experienced was my Bennelli 3 1/2 INCH SBE that had long forcing cones, backboring and porting to attenuate recoil , the Load I shot 1 7/8 bismuth #4 for Winchester for their test program. I shot 10 rounds from a layout boat for blue bills and wanted to send the 190 rounds I had left back. I have given them away and no one has ever asked for more! E=MC squared is the law and has not been repealed so light weight equals more felt recoil. Stock design makes a big difference in what you feel, there are several good pads like Kickeze that will help, as will testing loads with a lead sled on the bench for a long session at the range. I have had multiple shoulder surgeries and used to shoot 50-60,000 rounds of 12 ga competition loads a year and feel recoil off the bench, in the field it never bothers me. Try getting a practice gun identical to your hunting gun and shoot it to practice and then switch to something with identical weight and feel, trigger pull etc. to hunt. It will be less expensive to practice so you will practice more and improve your skill in reading conditions. I shoot a 556 Ackley out to 600 for practice and 308 Norma, 7 Mag, 280 AI for elk.

It probably has more to do with me not shooting at long distance, but the more I hunt, the more I find powerful rifles unnecessary.

Durango, how bad is it trudging around with a 9-10 lb rifle? My new rifle, intended to be my main bear rifle starting next year, falls into that range and I am a bit concerned (Although as you said, the recoil is quite pleasant).

It probably has more to do with me not shooting at long distance, but the more I hunt, the more I find powerful rifles unnecessary.

Durango, how bad is it trudging around with a 9-10 lb rifle? My new rifle, intended to be my main bear rifle starting next year, falls into that range and I am a bit concerned (Although as you said, the recoil is quite pleasant).

How old and what shape are you in? At 45 my 8# rifle was unnoticeable. Now it feels like I’m carrying an anvil but as mentioned earlier I’m still doing it.
Last week I was laughing my ass off as a buddy of mine and I were hiking out in the dark 3 1/2 miles to the truck and he kept asking if I wanted to carry his 11# rifle for a bit. He is 50 and 20 + years younger than me...I just kept laughing and walking (I had warned him). I know he will be bringing a lighter one when he comes up next year or borrowing one of mine...

Mid 50s and sporting a keg, but not in terrible shape. (Just got back from a woodland bear hunt with hounds and I did OK).

My style of hunting is generally ambush, so that does not present a problem. For still hunting deer, or if I ever get around to a western elk hunt, that's where I would be concerned.

I have no desire to use my .338 on deer - the .308 is plenty, but I thought for an elk (or moose) hunt I should bring the .338 for the bigger hole and longer range. The .338s are also sporting the most powerful scopes.

if you are flinch when shooting it does not matter what you shoot it just never ends well. bullet placement is more important than caliber, just need to get closer
Agree with this and we all do from time to time. I've dropped deer with my .308 just as well as my .264 and 7mm rem mag. I believe Randy has a video on youtube about what caliber he uses and dependent on what he is hunting and also about shot placement.

Its nice to have multiple cartridges to choose from to suit your needs. I try to keep my calibers limited, right now with .243, .308, and .338 Fed. .30-'06 seems too close to .308 for me to bother. Can't bring myself to go 6.5 Creedmoor. I think .338 Fed is as high as I need to go, but a brown bear hunt could change my mind there.

People here and elsewhere rave about .280 AI. What makes it so special? Long range?

I only have 1 magnum anymore, but I like medium bores pushed to the edge in the 06 case, as well as classic cartridges like 9.3x74R.

My 338 is a pussycat compared to a lightweight Mauser w/ a Model B stock that has the drop for open sights instead of a scope.

The 9.3 is in a Ruger #1 medium sporter and will knock fillings loose at the bench.

With the PAST, I can usually shoot all day.
excellent point on stock shape, open sight stocks usually push back at an angle into your face, a straight comb keeps it away.

excellent point on stock shape, open sight stocks usually push back at an angle into your face, a straight comb keeps it away.
My 11 year old daughter shot her deer with a .223 last year but I really wanted a little more down range energy. I bought her a 7mm-08 and a supressor...Game changer. Hunting is one thing but at the bench I never want to shoot without a supressor both for noise and recoil. My supressor is muzzle break mounted and I’ve been told that it reduces recoil by about 50%. I can’t verify that but it seems like it to me. I will thread every rifle I ever plan to use much and my 338, 375, and 45-70 will likely sit in the safe Unless I’m headed to Alaska. I’m 100% convinced that a supressor is the best recoil reduction you can buy.

Well I have found that losing a few pounds (like 10) getting in shape to hunt high country in CO cancels the extra 2 lbs weight of the rifle. I learned that when looking at a carbon fibre road bike to save 1 lb at an incremental cost of $2 grand, just pushed myserlf away from the dinner table and saved the $2 grand. I have a cool old prewar Rem 30 Express action in 350 Griffin and Howe (a 375 H&H necked down) built in 1938 by the Sheridan Gun Shop and spits out a 250 grain Barnes (the OLD Fred Barnes bonded core) at 2950. It weighs 10 lbs and I enjoy shooting it standing or sitting, off the bench I use a sled. The recoil I feel is way less than a 35 Whelan I have that weighs 6 lbs fully scoped and full magazine that kicks the snot out of me, hasn't been out of the safe in 30 years! I have been a range master for a decade and see guys showing up with light weight magnums (and healing scope cuts) that they were clearly afraid to shoot and as a result would not be able to hit an elk at 50 yards let alone 400. I carry a 280 AI that weighs 8 lbs most days now, at 73 I have not been pushing myself away from the dinner table often enough, getting a new knee in January that will give me incentive to lose weight.

Well I have found that losing a few pounds (like 10) getting in shape to hunt high country in CO cancels the extra 2 lbs weight of the rifle. I learned that when looking at a carbon fibre road bike to save 1 lb at an incremental cost of $2 grand, just pushed myserlf away from the dinner table and saved the $2 grand. I have a cool old prewar Rem 30 Express action in 350 Griffin and Howe (a 375 H&H necked down) built in 1938 by the Sheridan Gun Shop and spits out a 250 grain Barnes (the OLD Fred Barnes bonded core) at 2950. It weighs 10 lbs and I enjoy shooting it standing or sitting, off the bench I use a sled. The recoil I feel is way less than a 35 Whelan I have that weighs 6 lbs fully scoped and full magazine that kicks the snot out of me, hasn't been out of the safe in 30 years! I have been a range master for a decade and see guys showing up with light weight magnums (and healing scope cuts) that they were clearly afraid to shoot and as a result would not be able to hit an elk at 50 yards let alone 400. I carry a 280 AI that weighs 8 lbs most days now, at 73 I have not been pushing myself away from the dinner table often enough, getting a new knee in January that will give me incentive to lose weight.
I hear you about losing the weight. Had the same thought "Why worry about an extra pound on the rifle when I can drop 10 pounds from my body instead?" Did a woods hound hunt this October, and I worked up to it for months, mainly on the stationary bike. Didn't lose much weight, but gained a lot of muscle, so I think I traded away some fat.

New 9.5 lb beast wasn't ready for this year, but it will be my primary bear medicine in 2021.

My 11 year old daughter shot her deer with a .223 last year but I really wanted a little more down range energy. I bought her a 7mm-08 and a supressor...Game changer. Hunting is one thing but at the bench I never want to shoot without a supressor both for noise and recoil. My supressor is muzzle break mounted and I’ve been told that it reduces recoil by about 50%. I can’t verify that but it seems like it to me. I will thread every rifle I ever plan to use much and my 338, 375, and 45-70 will likely sit in the safe Unless I’m headed to Alaska. I’m 100% convinced that a supressor is the best recoil reduction you can buy.
I agree on suppressor, use one on a 308 and it feels like a 556. Good to keep perspective on both components of recoil the jet effect of escaping gas (can be direct by a break or suppressor to mitigate some recoil) and the total weight of the bullet and the powder charge pushing it. A highly efficient case design (short, fat with sharp shoulder) will burn less powder more efficiently than a big magnum case with a lot of slow burning powder.

I agree on suppressor, use one on a 308 and it feels like a 556. Good to keep perspective on both components of recoil the jet effect of escaping gas (can be direct by a break or suppressor to mitigate some recoil) and the total weight of the bullet and the powder charge pushing it. A highly efficient case design (short, fat with sharp shoulder) will burn less powder more efficiently than a big magnum case with a lot of slow burning powder.
How well do those suppressors work when using supersonic ammo? I'd hate to go subsonic on something like a .308.

How well do those suppressors work when using supersonic ammo? I'd hate to go subsonic on something like a .308.
No need to go subsonic as that only eliminates the "crack" a bullet makes breaking the sound barrier is the remaining noise component. Shot an elk in our pasture last year and the herd did not take off as they normally would did not know where the sound came from as the sound is probably unidirectional .

My friend just shot her first elk about 30 minutes ago with my 7X57 (the original 7mm08) and 145 grand slam bullet at 2700 fps, 1 shot at 195 yards. Rifle is a custom light weight on a pre 64 Model 70 that she was very comfortable shooting off the bench and weighs a little less than 7.5 lbs, now has 4 whitetails, 1 muley and now an elk to its credit, will post a picture of her with it when they get down.

My friend just shot her first elk about 30 minutes ago with my 7X57 (the original 7mm08) and 145 grand slam bullet at 2700 fps, 1 shot at 195 yards. Rifle is a custom light weight on a pre 64 Model 70 that she was very comfortable shooting off the bench and weighs a little less than 7.5 lbs, now has 4 whitetails, 1 muley and now an elk to its credit, will post a picture of her with it when they get down.
here is her bull!

Attachments

• IMG_20201111_090507.jpg
    IMG_20201111_090507.jpg
    976.8 KB · Views: 33
My first rifle was a 243, then I inherited my father's 300WM and thought that was what I needed for deer. Took me about 15 years but I bought a 7-08 (before even finding Randy or this site) and haven't touched the 300 since. The 300 was definitely overkill for whitetail, and expensive to shoot. The 300 might come back out of the safe if I ever get the chance to elk hunt or something large where it would make more sense.

Both are excellent choices. I've chosen the .308 due to the availability of ammunition, it's well-developed cartidge with a wide variety of bullet grains and types, and it shoots what my AR-10 shoots. Having said that, the 7-08 is a wonderful, versatile cartridge and doesn't kick as hard. Long range ballistics are impressive as well. In the back of my mind, I'm still thinking about the 7-08...
I picked up a weatherby vanguard wilderness in .308. I have not been able to get it out to the range yet, but I am impressed with the feel and weight so far.---R

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back