Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Chamber Empty or Loaded

Blue Rope

I recently had a discussion with a co-worker that got me curious about this subject. How many of you carry your rifle without a round in the chamber when you're hunting? I've noticed a couple of "professional" hunters (the Meateater crew) doing it, and my co-worker said today that he does the same and taught his kids to do it. He has no formal weapons training, while I've had extensive training in fighting with firearms and obviously in that application, an empty chamber is a recipe for disaster. I assume the difference in background has something to do with it, but I was just curious what the general opinion was on the topic?

When I was younger I carried one in the chamber when by myself only. For quite a while now I've only chambered a round when ready to shoot or occasionally when still hunting through the thick.

I want to be ready when I catch a glimpse in close quarters.

StillHunt.jpg

Depends a lot on the situation. Deer hunting game lands around here, definitely have one in the chamber. Wouldn't have killed the nice buck I did this past year if I didn't. Out west, usually I'm going to be in a position where I have a chance to chamber a round without blowing an opportunity.

In chamber, safety on. Mostly I am
still hunting or on stand. Rarely glassing or with a long view, especially around here. If there is an overt risk of a fall like a steep rockface, stream or log crossing, then often remove the round. Otherwise, I’m hunting and ready to shoot. I’ll bet there is hardly a hunter east of the Mississippi that would consider hunting with an empty chamber. Never knew an upland bird hunter, turkey hunter, small gamer, or waterfowler to hunt on an empty chamber either. Same for muzzleloaders - never saw anyone cap their rifle only as game approached. Open mountain / desert hunting with long range shooting predominantly from a rest is an environment it can make sense in though.

Last mule deer buck I shot in Idaho I jumped from its bed at about 40 yards while stillhunting, he paused just long enough to raise the rifle offhand, slip safety off, and was gone out of sight after the shot. There was no setting up, or getting a rest. It was that opportunity or no buck.

Last elk in Colorado was with muzzleloader, ran into around a bend on a game trail while stillhunting and raised gun, 1/4 second to @#)(# the hammer, pow! No cover between us, no time to do anything else.

edit…. we can’t say “@#)(#” the hammer on here? ugh

hen pheasant
@#)(# pheasant

shuttlecock

gamecocks

double ugh

Last edited:
Chamber empty until I can smell them.
My father carried his with chamber loaded but bolt up out of battery. Not sure why.

Rifle - empty chamber unless actively on a stalk or still hunting

Shotgun - loaded chamber, on safe

Muzzleloader - unloaded unless actively on a stalk

Handgun - loaded chamber, usually no safety but holstered

Always unloaded. And everyone that wants to hunt with me unloaded too. We hike a lot of miles a day 10+ and you never know when the safety gets snagged on your pack and then later a branch gets in the trigger guard. I have been around twice when that has happened. Once was more than enough. We practice safe carry (don't point the gun anywhere it not supposed to be) and the barrels where pointed up at the time but No animal is worth taking that chance. I will say though that the rifles are usually not in our hands but strapped to our packs most of the time and it's harder to realize what position the safety is in. Out here in the West we typically have time to quickly chamber a round. I have never missed in opportunitiy because of it. I don't like to be rushed for a shot anyways and would much rather spot and stalk an animal from miles away with an intended target.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back