Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Chainsaw repair advice

C_Dick_Run

Hey all,

Looking for some advice/tips on troubleshooting/fixing my saw. Older Stihl 011. Used some last summer, then put away and sat all winter without being run. On first use this spring, started and ran a tank of fuel through but then quit and couldn't get restarted. I took the air filter cover off and dumped fuel directly into the carb which allowed me to start it, but when I hit the throttle, no response and it dies. Is the carb just gummed up and needing to be taken out and cleaned? If so is that something a small engine novice can do? Thanks in advance.

Something could be clogging the filter or hose to the carb as well.

Water in carb from old fuel. Needs to be taken apart & cleaned out. Common from using old fuel. Clean out filter ,intake & muffler screens too
Never leave fuel in tank or mixed for more than a month. Fuel stabilizers will not stop this problem, IMHO & low octane in saws is no Bueno....
Empty gas tank before storing. Use fresh mix when starting back up. Mix a gal at a time unless you will use more soon.
I only keep small amounts of fuel anymore unless it will be used in a few months & that goes in a larger tank... like a truck.
Use fresh mix & your saw will be happy.

Also make sure the weighted fuel filter at the end of the gas line has not broken off the fuel line. Fuel lines become brittle over time and crack or break. This will prevent the fuel line from reaching the fuel in the tank.

Stop running ethanol fuel in your saw. Thats the problem your having an 10,000,000 other people are having nationwide with carbourated engines.

Its worth the extra $1/gallon for the non-ethanol. Trust me.

I use non-ethanol in my saws and my generators and anything else that has a carburetor.

Fuel stabilizer does not help prevent or treat ethanol.

Stop running ethanol fuel in your saw. Thats the problem your having an 10,000,000 other people are having nationwide with carbourated engines.

Its worth the extra $1/gallon for the non-ethanol. Trust me.

I use non-ethanol in my saws and my generators and anything else that has a carburetor.

Fuel stabilizer does not help prevent or treat ethanol.
Got that tip from my saw guy years ago. I use hi octane too in 2 cycle equipment.

Does it have a fuel filter? Ethanol is terrible in small engines, I only run ethanol free fuel and haven't had any issues. If you can't get that in your area, when storing I recommend running it out of fuel, but that can cause other gaskets to dry out depending on how long between uses.

I agree on ethanol free gas. I run it in my chainsaws and ice augers. There is only one station about 25miles away but I run there to get it because it is much better for the carbs and fuel lines. There is a website if you Google ethanol free gas and it will tell you every gas station near you that had it.

If u ran a tank thru then it wouldn't start sounds like a dirt prob. All the other tips r spot on for 2 strokes too flush everything ya can with carb cleaner spray, use no ethanol gas and add SeaFoam occasionally. That stuff cleans like crazy, makes crappy run like new. U go this man, 👍

Keep in mind that with small engines 50% of fuel related problems are electrical and 50% of electrical problems are fuel related.

Install a new spark plug along with your fresh batch of pre-mix.

My saws are from the early 80s. I check eBay and local saw shops, the better shops always have boxes of old stuff tucked away.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back