Rebuild of an '85 Bass Tracker Boat.

It sounds like your solenoid is engaging (click) but you need to know what the voltage on the large +pos starter terminal is before and while trying to start.

I was typing as you posted that video.
The click isn't the solenoid you need to first check voltage at small pos wire on starter while holding the key in the start position. Then move on to large pos wire.

@Sytes, the click is your electric choke working. Mine has that too.

If that’s all that happens when you try to start it, I’d guess either the starter is dead or there’s a bad connection to it somewhere.

Wow, I haven’t checked into this blog for a while. You did a great job! It looks like you renewed all the wiring and terminals on the batteries but you might check to be sure you didn’t miss tightening them all or a foreign object got between one of the contacts. Not that it ever happened to me.

It looks like you renewed all the wiring and terminals on the batteries
I'm far from an electrician. I may have flubbed something along the way. Good thoughts. I'm going through removing connectors one at a time as I'm a master of chasing my errors.

A mistake my son made recently in changing some wires on a boat was he didn't get the ground wire to the outboard connected properly. The outboard tried to start but wouldn't turn fast enough with new batteries. I found the problem after following wires for 15 minutes. Relatively easy mistake when you are more concerned about all of the positive wires and overlook the grounding wires.

I'm far from an electrician. I may have flubbed something along the way. Good thoughts. I'm going through removing connectors one at a time as I'm a master of chasing my errors.
Did you ever get it to run?
If not I have a buddy that is a outboard mechanic and will have him give the video a listen. If he cant tell you right off the jump what it is then he will be able to at least steer you in the right direction. The boat is coming along great and looking really good!

I was typing as you posted that video.
The click isn't the solenoid you need to first check voltage at small pos wire on starter while holding the key in the start position. Then move on to large pos wire.
This is what I get from one location while key is in the start position.

20200809_104405.jpg

That help any?

@elkmagnet You and others were pretty much on the right troubleshooting path. Thanks for your assist. With the aid of my FIL, the unit that flips the switch for the starter appears to have gone bad. I may change both while doing so. A bit of a crusty noise when manually turning the starter.

Other side of the story, he really thinks the propeller is too small for a 50hp 2stroke. I believe its the correct one for the motor and in good shape # 48 73138 A40 P14 . Curious, @madtom if you have the same prop and any others with opinions. I'll snap a picture to share.

What are the pros and cons of changing to a larger prop?

Guys will go up or down in size or pitch to get out of the hole better or a few more mph. If you are happy with how it performs I would not worry about it.

Guys will go up or down in size or pitch to get out of the hole better or a few more mph. If you are happy with how it performs I would not worry about it.
It does around 15-18mph. Sounds smooth, runs clean though 5500 rpms for a mostly flat bottomed semi V hull aluminum seems far off its mark.

There a good guide regarding the trade offs between increased size / pitch / blades or a guru that can speak as if writing a Props for Dummies book? 😅

If I understand these motors for this boat should push 30

The prop slip ratio is tremendous if you are turning a 14p prop at 5500 rpm at 18mph. Something is up with the prop the speedo, or the tach or some combination

@elkmagnet You and others were pretty much on the right troubleshooting path. Thanks for your assist. With the aid of my FIL, the unit that flips the switch for the starter appears to have gone bad. I may change both while doing so. A bit of a crusty noise when manually turning the starter.

Other side of the story, he really thinks the propeller is too small for a 50hp 2stroke. I believe its the correct one for the motor and in good shape # 48 73138 A40 P14 . Curious, @madtom if you have the same prop and any others with opinions. I'll snap a picture to share.

What are the pros and cons of changing to a larger prop?

Mine’s different 48 73136 A40L 13P

29E5F65B-D49D-4BD3-AE54-B7EF68013878.jpeg

15 mph does seem slow for a top speed with that motor and boat combo.

Back