Cell phone boosters

Pray for Elon, SpaceX, and Starlink. The latency issue will finally be solved for an expected < $100 month.

Yeah, I've read mixed reviews on the Hughes Satellite Internet. Most of them bad, but I can't tell whether it's because they are comparing it to what they are used to on fiber connections in the urban jungle or if it's really that bad. When it's the only option, anything is better than nothing. Just not sure yet whether it's worth $75/mo year round for the amount of time I'll spend there. It'd be nice to be able to work from there some though, and that would require a fairly decent internet connection.
You won’t want to work off a satellite connection, it will just lead to frustration. I have satellite connections at some of the remote offices I manage and it is unreliable and painful. We boost with a LTE router would be a better solution if you can get a LTE signal. I’ve put up some big directional LTE antennas and a gotten solid connection

You won’t want to work off a satellite connection, it will just lead to frustration. I have satellite connections at some of the remote offices I manage and it is unreliable and painful. We boost with a LTE router would be a better solution if you can get a LTE signal. I’ve put up some big directional LTE antennas and a gotten solid connection
Thanks @rustednuts and @VikingsGuy. You’ve probably saved me a lot of time and money (and frustration!) on experimenting with Hughes. I guess I need to change my cell provider from AT&T to Verizon if I get a good LTE signal. Otherwise AT&T is going crush me on the data roaming since they are roaming on Verizon’s network there.

WeBoost is scheduled to get here Tuesday, so I’m heading up there next weekend to set it up. Fingers crossed! 🤞

Thanks @rustednuts and @VikingsGuy. You’ve probably saved me a lot of time and money (and frustration!) on experimenting with Hughes. I guess I need to change my cell provider from AT&T to Verizon if I get a good LTE signal. Otherwise AT&T is going crush me on the data roaming since they are roaming on Verizon’s network there.

WeBoost is scheduled to get here Tuesday, so I’m heading up there next weekend to set it up. Fingers crossed! 🤞

You could try a Verizon “hotspot” and then you and kids can go “cell via WiFi” without all being on the same network. I have a buddy who does this with his cabin in northern WI.

Thanks @VikingsGuy. Definitely need to look into that - assuming I can get an LTE signal with the new antenna. Likely cheaper than Hughes, and from what it sounds, better performance.

Did a partial setup this weekend. Forgot to pack my ladder, so I was not able to mount the antenna on the roof. But mounting it to a rake handle in the yard took me from mostly no signal at all with occasional one bar and no data to 1-2 bars consistently with 3G. Hopefully it’ll improve even more when I get it 20’ higher. Not optimistic I’ll get 4G, but way better than it was.

Fingers crossed for 4G. Verizon 3G ends Dec 31. AT&T ends Dec 31, 2021. At least that’s the current plan.

4G typically does not carry as far as 3G due to different frequency usage. Let’s hope the providers keep 3G in the most rural areas.

Back