Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Cats Aren't Trophies

Earlier today the “Review and Comment” meeting took place for the proposed ballot initiative, currently titled “Prohibit Trophy Hunting,” that eliminates all hunting and trapping of mountain lions, bobcats and federally protected Canada lynx in Colorado.

The review and comments hearing was held between proponents of the measure and Colorado Legislative Counsel staff to ensure the ballot proposal is clear and concise. The council had several concerns, forcing proponents to revise the ballot proposal before it can proceed to the next step. Concerns included the use of the phrase “trophy hunting,” along with several other items.

In this case, proponents of the measure will have to resubmit a revised ballot proposal and go through the review and comment hearing again, unless the council has no additional concerns with the clarity of the new version. If that is the case, the proposal will then be filed with the Secretary of State prior to the Title Board meeting.

I think it did matter, that vote lost by a very small margin.
Absolutely did matter. It was a razor thin margin despite wolf proponents and animal rights activists pouring millions of dollars into Colorado. Additionally, the mountain lion "trophy" hunting ban is significantly different than the wolf ballot initiative. During the initial hearing, the legislative council staff asked the proponents if they would like to include an exception to the ban when hunters harvest mountain lions for the purpose of human consumption, since the ban applied to trophy hunting for the primary purpose of harvesting fur, horns, hide, etc. The proponents simply replied "No". I think the proponents of the ban may have received some bad polling projections from Rebecca Niemiec and her Colorado State University "Anti-Hunting Policy Center".

Pretty good clip from HOWL-

if I might add to this discussion. This fight is in the infancy stages. There are a lot of groups working under one umbrella here in CO to formulate the most effective and efficient strategy/plan to communicate and beat this and we have a long road ahead. It wont be easy and it def wont be won by speaking to ourselves in an echo chamber.

I would encourage everyone on here to look into the Coloradan's for Responsible Wildlife Management and their mission. CRWM is the only 501 C(4) that is structured and able to take on this fight at this time. I know this might sound a little desperate or pandering but at this stage the best thing anyone could do to engage in the fight would be to donate to CRWM. they have hired the right team to combat this and the issue will come down to funding. The opposition is well organized and well funded. Im pretty bad with these posts but I wanted to try and offer a little bit of context.

Right now the social media posts, the call to actions etc all are in vain. We are still awaiting final title language etc. so much of how to engage in this fight still remains up in the air. In addition, it will be in our best interest to use professionals to conduct polling and surveys so we can get a pulse on how the majority of the non hunting population thinks about this issue so we can build the correct campaign to appeal to them.

Make no mistake about it, this is not just about Mt Lions, Bobcats and lynx. The stage has been set to codify language that defines "Trophy Hunting" as "the intent to kill or harm." This standard will then be put forth as the basis for every other hunting activities or species as the anti hunting groups begin chipping down their list. In my opinion CO is now ground zero.

anyways, I am helping volunteer on this issue as much as I can. I work as a volunteer for the RMEF and participate in as many action calls as I can with the various organizations here in CO to help stop this and other wildlife issues we have been continually onslaught with. I am far from an expert on any of this and I do my best to relay information from much smarter and well versed individuals. if you want to engage or be included on our zoom meetings pm me and I can link you in.

please give this a look over and if you have the means please donate.

Last edited:
if I might add to this discussion. This fight is in the infancy stages. There are a lot of groups working under one umbrella here in CO to formulate the most effective and efficient strategy/plan to communicate and beat this and we have a long road ahead. It wont be easy and it def wont be won by speaking to ourselves in an echo chamber.

I would encourage everyone on here to look into the Coloradan's for Responsible Wildlife Management and their mission. CRWM is the only 501 C(4) that is structured and able to take on this fight at this time. I know this might sound a little desperate or pandering but at this stage the best thing anyone could do to engage in the fight would be to donate to CRWM. they have hired the right team to combat this and the issue will come down to funding. The opposition is well organized and well funded. Im pretty bad with these posts but I wanted to try and offer a little bit of context.

Right now the social media posts, the call to actions etc all are in vain. We are still awaiting final title language etc. so much of how to engage in this fight still remains up in the air. In addition, it will be in our best interest to use professionals to conduct polling and surveys so we can get a pulse on how the majority of the non hunting population thinks about this issue so we can build the correct campaign to appeal to them.

Make no mistake about it, this is not just about Mt Lions, Bobcats and lynx. The stage has been set to codify language that defines "Trophy Hunting" as "the intent to kill or harm." This standard will then be put forth as the basis for every other hunting activities or species as the anti hunting groups begin chipping down their list. In my opinion CO is now ground zero.

anyways, I am helping volunteer on this issue as much as I can. I work as a volunteer for the RMEF and participate in as many action calls as I can with the various organizations here in CO to help stop this and other wildlife issues we have been continually onslaught with. I am far from an expert on any of this and I do my best to relay information from much smarter and well versed individuals. if you want to engage or be included on our zoom meetings pm me and I can link you in.

AND THERE IT IS!

I’m just waiting for the residents to ask all of the evil non-residents for funding to help fight off this terrible travesty.

Wait for it. It’s coming.
This is the colorado section...you'll have to jump to montana for that

Eta-damn, beat by a second, in the right section now!

Thanks for posting the hearing. Can someone help explain the logistics associated with the initiative, how does CRWM get identified as the sole party presenting the counter to the initiative? I agree that this appears to be similar to the initiatives taken in other states and filled with significant potential impacts.

Can someone help explain the logistics associated with the initiative, how does CRWM get identified as the sole party presenting the counter to the initiative?

Of the Colorado Wildlife Conservation Project members, only CRWM is registered as a 501(c)4, which allows them unlimited political lobbying. Note that donations to (c)4s are not tax deductible. CWCP is the primary group organizing opposition to Proposition 91.

I don't have a link for you to verify, but the last update I heard is that CRWM was able to get "trophy" removed from the ballot initiative language, but that decision can be appealed by the initiative's proponents. Commenters above are correct that CRWM is leading the fight and keeping CWCP (non-profit group of groups, like TRCP, but on a state level) informed.

Just tried donating. Problem with PayPal.

Back