Caribou Gear

Catch'em on the Way Back Down

Ike

|oo Catch’em on the Way Back

During the spring of 2004, I had a client, his father and two of their buddies follow me along looking for bear. Sometime in the night, a boar had traveled up the road for perhaps two miles. He’d taken at least two dumps in the road which indicated to me he was a mature boar, so I stopped on the last place he crossed because the dogs about blew the top off my dog box.

First light was approaching but we couldn’t find a track with a flash light. “So do you want to send them?” I ask.

“How big is he?” came the question.

I explained, “Well, without a track it’s hard to say but he’s a mature boar or he probably wouldn’t be marking the road.”

We drove on down the road to a place I’d cut a for sure mature boar. We did get some rigs off the wind but the dogs wouldn’t go to the bear, so I headed back down to look at the other boar. However, the time had slipped away and it was around 8:00 or 9:00 AM.

After arriving we still couldn’t find a track so I rigged up and down the road until I got the best rig and then sent them into the bush. They trailed up a side canyon and jumped the bear, bringing him out over the ledges and back up the drainage. The dogs fell on the wood under a large fur tree.

We five hound chasers followed our ears to the tree and found a nice 4 or 5 year old boar in the tree. We took photos and shot some film then pulled the dogs and headed for the truck.

One of the guys that had tagged along with my hunter told me along the way: “I’d like to congratulate you on that catch three hours after you rigged it. We hunted in this canyon two years ago with another guide and got our butts kicked everyday.”

I guess its times like that that make all the training and hard work worth it.

Bear season’s acomin and I can hardly wait!

Ike :rolleyes:
I'm pumped for bear!

Attachments

• jeremybear.jpg
    jeremybear.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 88
Thats a great story Ike..

What does this mean...

"the dogs about blew the top off my dog box"
"best rig"
:)

BEst BEst Rig

Sorry Elkchsr, I must have missed your question. Blew the top off the box.....meaning, we were driving up the road about 25 miles per hour in the dark and the dogs all stuck their heads out of the sides of the dog box and opened with a roar--all at once or the same time.

Best rig........would have been driving back and forth up and down the canyon watching the dogs to see when they were the most excited. I hope htat ansered your questions.

the ikester ;)

Back