Casper WY Relocation

I lived in Casper for 20 years or so. I still have problems with an overhead cast on any kind of fishing rod. You will too, but there's some monster trout in the North Platte. There's great hunting, fantastic public lands close by and the people are generally good & decent human beings who tend to lean whichever way the wind is going. That's not due to being indecisive, just that they know how to stay on their feet when it's whistling at 50 MPH sustained for 4 days straight.

Good luck and I hope you run into some good HT folk!

I lived in Casper for 20 years or so. I still have problems with an overhead cast on any kind of fishing rod. You will too, but there's some monster trout in the North Platte. There's great hunting, fantastic public lands close by and the people are generally good & decent human beings who tend to lean whichever way the wind is going. That's not due to being indecisive, just that they know how to stay on their feet when it's whistling at 50 MPH sustained for 4 days straight.

Good luck and I hope you run into some good HT folk!
I still have nightmares about a giant rainbow that chased my streamer right up to my feet before refusing it. It would have been the fish of a lifetime. You're right though, not easy fishing some of the places on the Platte if you're a fly fisherman.

I still have nightmares about a giant rainbow that chased my streamer right up to my feet before refusing it. It would have been the fish of a lifetime. You're right though, not easy fishing some of the places on the Platte if you're a fly fisherman.

7 wt with a double nymph rig & 3 tin split shot will teach you how to cast fast in that kind of wind. Otherwise you'll break your rod in frustration from all the casting knots.

And use a thingamabobber, not a foam one. Wind resistance is your new religion.

i'm sorry guys, but i just did like 3 minutes of googling and almost none of the lists puts any wyoming city in the top 10 windiest cities... maybe like one list had cheyenne and casper in the top ten.
I can tell you from experience it is wrong! I have been to at least 13 countries and all but two states, plus Guam and have NEVER experienced the wind that WY dishes out. Jan-May 60+ mph winds are common and we get a few 80+ mph a season. Had winds at 100 mph last year. I have nearly been blown off ridges several times while hiking/scouting.
Jan-May we get 40+mph winds for a week straight and feel relieved when it gets down to 25 mph for a few days before it kicks back up to 40-60 mph. Like the Bearing Sea... without the water, lol.
We finished our house build March of 2021. We have had shingles put back on six times. Have lost facia and trim twice... in what the internet claims is one of the least windy areas of the state.
We researched the least windy places in WY before we built. They lied! Maybe to enhance tourism?
Summers are less windy for sure.

Last edited:
I can tell you from experience it is wrong! I have been to at least 13 countries and all but two states, plus Guam and have NEVER experienced the wind that WY dishes out. Jan-May 60+ mph winds are common and we get a few 80+ mph a season. Had winds at 100 mph last year. I have nearly been blown off ridges several times while hiking/scouting.
Jan-May we get 40+mph winds for a week straight and feel relieved when it gets down to 25 mph for a few days before it kicks back up to 40-60 mph. Like the Bearing Sea... without the water, lol.
We researched the least windy places in WY before we built. They lied! Maybe to enhance tourism?
Summers are less windy for sure.
I work around some suburbs of Chicago. Always get a kick out of the windy city thing.

Back