Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Case trimmer advise

Djfan

So, I'm still snail pacing my way into reloading. Was reading my Lee manual today, and it was talking about case trimmers.

What do you recommend I get? As a beginner, I don't want garbage, but I don't have a million laying around either.

Thanks.

I do hand trimming to save on the cost. If you do a lot in a day you can attach it to your drill and save the wrist wear

That's the one I use. Load the rod for the right caliber and go

I have a Lyman, I hate it with a passion, but it works. The Giraud is the gold standard, I wish I'd invested in one originally, but all the cartridges really snuck up on me. Personally, I really like the Little Crow Gunworks trimmers for the cost, especially if you're not planning on having more than a handful of cartridges to trim. You can just set them up and they stay really consistent, quick work with a hand drill or drill press if you have one (definitely not needed). If you wear out a cutter, they are cheap and easy to replace. LCG stays up with new cartridges and has new models out pretty quick.

If you are trimming a lot as in hundreds of cases go with a rcbs unit. If only doing 50-100 at a time I use the Lee trimmers and they work just fine.

I spent a few hours last month researching a better trimmer and decided the lee was still my best option.

I reload for family and each has a different cartridge. I do a dozen different chambering but not high volume for hunting rifles.

I have the lee set up in an rcbs case prep station. Switching cartridge is simple and trimming is fast.

I couldn’t find another system that was as fast. I really liked the Henderson but switching cartridges was going to add time. I am surprised they don’t just add a preset length rod for cartridges. They use a bolt with two jam nuts to set trim length.

I worry that the lee is not as precision as a couple others but have not seen any actual experiments.

Started loading rifle cartridges in 1967 or thereabouts. I still have my original RCBS trimmer in the cabinet, just in case. I’ve owned several different trimmers over the years and gave consideration to the Giraud recently but couldn’t justify the cost.
I have found the Wilson to be the most accurate trimmer available. It is not fast but not any slower than any other hand turned trimmer. Accuracy and consistency is easily +/- .005 and repeatable. I load for 14 or 15 cartridges on a fairly regular basis, by making notes of the Wilson’s dial I can switch from case to case without going through trial and error.
I load between 20 and 40 cartridges a week, shoot about the same, (I don’t golf I go to the range) I’m pretty well sold on the system.

RCBS hand turn trimmer for just a few, less than 50. Franklin Arsenal Platinum if I'm doing 50+ or going to be loading out the same caliber repeatably. Even using the RCBS I use the Franklin to chamfer and dress out. I like that the Franklin can change attachments easily.

I have a couple older Forster hand trimmers that work fine. I'd set a new factory case aside to use as a reference to reset the trimmer if you do cases of different lengths. In general Ackley Improved cartridge cases seem like they'll never need trimming. Not sure about the .280AI as it's factory made to the correct length whereas fire formed cases shorten after the fire forming process.

I started with Lee trimmers and for small batches they worked. Then went to a Lyman bench mounted trimmer and added the drill attachment to speed things up. Still works but for mass production you want a dedicated trimming system but they're exceedingly expensive. I compromised and went with a Frankford Arsenal prep center and am happy enough with it

I still have/use the Lee case length "gauges".
Put the case in the holder and that into a cordless drill.
Except for my straight walled cases, i check trim every time I reload.
It may not take a lot off, but i don't get caught with a case that won't chamber because it's too long.

I've seen plenty of used case trimmers for sale, but they all seem to be missing something.
Usually the part that fits into the case neck.
Or if it's there, it's not in anything that I'm loading for.

I use a Little Crow Gunworks WFT trimmer for both 308 and 7mm. Works like a charm and very repeatable.

Back