Case Lube

If someone has never had a problem with a lube other than Imperial, what makes Imperial superior?

I said that ambiguously. I’ve never had problems with case lubes that were not Imperial Die Wax when I was only resizing brass from a good chamber. Imperial Die Wax has never given me a problem either.

All other lubes I’ve tried have failed me when forming one cartridge from another. Imperial Die Wax has not.

If you're going to use "one stuck" its just a matter of time before you get bit, especially on the mag type brass.
I can't count the number of RUM cases I've run through a die with One shot. Used incorrectly, yeah you will stick a case. mtmuley

I’ve had a couple of Hornady cases hang up in my RCBS resizing die for a 26 Nosler. The rim case has folded over on itself and pulled out of the shell holder and I’ve had to use the shell extractor to get them out of the die and ruined the case. I don’t think it’s the sizing die but I thought I’d try switching lube before I panic. I’m currently using the Hornady one shot aerosol lube...any suggestions
The problem with the One Shot, is that you have to have plenty on it and then let it set for a minute, or two before using. Put some casings in a zip lock, spray down with One Shot, shake, rattle and roll. Open the bag and let them set for bit and then resize. I have never stuck a casing using this method. I did a couple times, trying to spray them individually.
I have never found another lube that is easier, or does a better job.

The problem with the One Shot, is that you have to have plenty on it and then let it set for a minute, or two before using. Put some casings in a zip lock, spray down with One Shot, shake, rattle and roll. Open the bag and let them set for bit and then resize. I have never stuck a casing using this method. I did a couple times, trying to spray them individually.
Like I said, lanolin and alcohol. Better than all these other lubes and cheaper

What make's lanolin and alcohol better than a lube that has never let someone down?
You keep trying to make that argument. It’s like saying what makes a 1000$ scope better than my 200$ scope that has never let me down.. just because something has never let you down doesn’t mean there isn’t something better out there. I’m not saying lanolin and alcohol is a 1000$ scope compare to one shot being a 200$ scope. I’m just making a point. I’ve also used both one shot and a mix of lanolin and alcohol. And resizing felt smoother with lanolin. Lots of variables can cause this though. But knowing I can spend equal amounts of money on each type and get a lot more lube for the money with the mix. I would subjectively say it’s better. Because it works just as well if not a bit better and is cheaper. Btw I still have one shot sitting with my reloading tools. So I believe it works too 👍🏻

How do you remove the stuff when you get ready to load?

I used One Shot for a couple years. Most successful was putting brass in a ziploc bag, zipping the straw into the top as mentioned. Squish the bag around and open to allow some of that chemical to evaporate.

I now do the same using lanolin and alcohol. Really I see no difference in performance except I can get way more case lube for the price which really isn't a justifiable reason. After using the lanolin lube I wet tumble cleaning without stainless pins. I know it's an extra step but I rarely in a rush and prefer my brass really clean

You keep trying to make that argument. It’s like saying what makes a 1000$ scope better than my 200$ scope that has never let me down.. just because something has never let you down doesn’t mean there isn’t something better out there. I’m not saying lanolin and alcohol is a 1000$ scope compare to one shot being a 200$ scope. I’m just making a point. I’ve also used both one shot and a mix of lanolin and alcohol. And resizing felt smoother with lanolin. Lots of variables can cause this though. But knowing I can spend equal amounts of money on each type and get a lot more lube for the money with the mix. I would subjectively say it’s better. Because it works just as well if not a bit better and is cheaper. Btw I still have one shot sitting with my reloading tools. So I believe it works too 👍🏻

Ah good. An answer I could live with. "Works just as good and is cheaper". I ask a question like that a lot. Lot of people like to relate quality to cost and I simply don't buy that. What makes a Lamborghini better than a Ford? Think I know, you actually have the money to buy the Lamborghini! Now as to cost of lube, I don't know that you can actually save that much but probably save some, nothing wrong with that! But for as much as we spend on gun's and reloading equipment, why worry about saving what I expect is such a small amount?

When I started reloading I used RCBS case lube on a pad, about all there ws back them. Didn't have much luck with it so experimented a bit and came up with STP! Works great, leaves case's needing cleaned up and if you use to much, it will dent the case's. Dented case's was what I was trying to get away from! Have tried different lube's over the years but never tried Imperial sizing wax. While using One Shot I did try Hornady Unique case lube. Similar to Imperial I think. Stuff worked but quit using it real fast. Couldn't figure out how to tell if I was getting enough or not enough lube on the case's! How do you know if you have enough or not enough on your finger's? Stick a case?

As for the idea that just because something never let you down doesn't mean there might not be something better out there. But if what your using work's well for you, why in the world do you want to change? The better stuff may work better for you and then again may not. Depend's on how it's used! You can haul dirt in a VW Beetle but your a lot better off with a dump truck. Of course if you can't drive the dump truck, your better off with the beetle! It reach's a point in this search for high quality or the "best", where there's little return for your money. People spend $1000 and more on scope's to say they have an expensive scope I think. Especially those that lack the skill's to use that expensive scope, which is the over whelming majority of us! I notice that those those use the high dollar stuff always try to convince other's that whatever they have that cost less is grossly inferior even though it work's well for the person using it.

The best is not always the most expensive, the best is what we know how to use successfully even though is may be less expensive.

Use whatever works for your process. Our RCBS Rockchucker goes though about 10,000 rounds a year. I don't think I could keep up with wax so I've been using One Shot, without any problems. I lay 10 - 15 cases on their side on a shop towel/rag, one quick pass angled to hit the inside throat and the case, lay my hand across the whole row and roll them over half-turn and another quick shot of spray. Then roll the row back and forth a couple times, size immediately, then repeat, repeat ........ Lots of stuff works, One Shot works for me.

How do you remove the stuff when you get ready to load?

I just wipe the case with a paper towel. You don't really even have to remove it, but the case feels a little dirty, to me, if you don't. One can of One Shot last for hundreds of casings, using this method. It is all that I will use for all of my reloading from small to magnum.

I don't do bulk reloading so to use One Shot, I stand the case's up in a load block and spray down from the top on both side's, get's lube in the neck. Then get out the die's, spray a shot in the die and go for it. Have no idea how long I let the case's sit. Never stuck a case using it. Have some Dillion spray still but didn't care for it. Seem's it was to messy. Probably work's well though. About cleaning the case's after sizing, I don't worry about it normally unless I have brass that needed cleaning in the first place and I didn't do it. Usually I clean before sizing though.

Use whatever works for your process. Our RCBS Rockchucker goes though about 10,000 rounds a year. I don't think I could keep up with wax so I've been using One Shot, without any problems. I lay 10 - 15 cases on their side on a shop towel/rag, one quick pass angled to hit the inside throat and the case, lay my hand across the whole row and roll them over half-turn and another quick shot of spray. Then roll the row back and forth a couple times, size immediately, then repeat, repeat ........ Lots of stuff works, One Shot works for me.

I wipe some wax on an RCBS lube pad and roll them back and forth. It really doesn’t take very long.

One shot with cases in a metal pie pan. spray at 45* and roll brass side to side in pan while spraying. never had an issue

I'm still on the same tube of Lee resizing garbage as I started on and haven't stuck a case with it yet. The stuff is really bad, but if you're careful with the product you're using I think anything can work. I'm just glad it's almost gone so I can use Imperial.

I would guess the case wasn’t lubed at the .200 line near the rim of the case. The same reason the guys that roll them on towels or on a pan or in a bag have success is they are completely lubed. I started using a shallower load tray when I started loading RUM and 375 wildcats with One Shot and have not had problems. Imperial sizing wax is hard to beat though.

Back