Yeti GOBOX Collection

carne asada guacamole wraps

Brittany Chukarman

This is one we really like. Cut some steaks into 3/8" strips. We usually use elk but any steak works. Put strips into a glass pan and season liberally with Big Mike's Carne Asada seasoning http://www.highcountryhunting.com/product/big-mikes-seasoning/carna-asada/
and olive oil. Mix it around so every strip has oil and seasoning on it. Cover and refrigerate for 2 or 3 days. Place the strips across a hot grill. By the time you get them all laid out it's about time to turn the 1st strips. As soon as they get grill marks turn them. Grill them a few more minutes and take them off. Serve on warm flour or wheat tortillas garnished with guacamole, lettuce, tomato and cheese with some hot sauce.

Heres your flour tortilla recipe to go with that, straight from a Texas mamasita:
Makes 12

3 cups unbleached flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 6 tbs butter, B grade olive oil or lard, about 1 1/4 cps warm water.
Blend flour, salt and baking powder. Add in softened salted butter, oil or fat, blend thoroughly. Slowly add water. You dont want it too wet, but definitely not dry and hard, very tacky. After kneading a bit (oil or butter your hand), cover and let sit half hour.
Separate dough by half, then half again (quarters). Take each quarter and make a slight tube, coil out of it and pinch off three equal pieces, roll into balls (dont let them touch each other).
Heat up a cast iron skillet or griddle - no oil, to medium heat. I place my cast iron griddle in the oven on 400 degrees and do 3 at a time.
Take a flat surface, lightly dust with flour and roll out each ball into a thin circle, or if you have a tortilla press, lightly flour and press each ball.
Place each pressed tortilla on the skillet/griddle for a short bit and flip quickly, then place in a dish that can be covered with a cloth or a tortilla warmer with a vent hole for the steam.
I never have left overs.

If you want burritos, make 6 instead of 12.

You are welcome.
It really sucks, I am typing out the recipe, wanting to make my own (I do most of my cooking from scratch - hate processed foods) and cant because of this bloody shoulder that got knocked out of joint. Thanks to this post, now I am craving TexMex food, being tormented.

Thankfully a friend stopped by the other day. I was just standing in the kitchen, wanting to make venison stroganoff, heavy on the sour cream and onions, staring at the onions, wondering how I could possibly slice those for sauteeing, maybe use my ulu. So I put him to work on onions, then fed him. Maybe if I mix up the tortilla dough, someone might just show up so I could put them to work rolling. ;)

Heres your flour tortilla recipe to go with that, straight from a Texas mamasita:
Makes 12

3 cups unbleached flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 6 tbs butter, B grade olive oil or lard, about 1 1/4 cps warm water.
Blend flour, salt and baking powder. Add in softened salted butter, oil or fat, blend thoroughly. Slowly add water. You dont want it too wet, but definitely not dry and hard, very tacky. After kneading a bit (oil or butter your hand), cover and let sit half hour.
Separate dough by half, then half again (quarters). Take each quarter and make a slight tube, coil out of it and pinch off three equal pieces, roll into balls (dont let them touch each other).
Heat up a cast iron skillet or griddle - no oil, to medium heat. I place my cast iron griddle in the oven on 400 degrees and do 3 at a time.
Take a flat surface, lightly dust with flour and roll out each ball into a thin circle, or if you have a tortilla press, lightly flour and press each ball.
Place each pressed tortilla on the skillet/griddle for a short bit and flip quickly, then place in a dish that can be covered with a cloth or a tortilla warmer with a vent hole for the steam.
I never have left overs.

If you want burritos, make 6 instead of 12.

The lard is the actual Mexican recipe. It makes them absolutely fantastic! My problem is that if we make them, then they all end up around my waist!

The lard is the actual Mexican recipe. It makes them absolutely fantastic! My problem is that if we make them, then they all end up around my waist!

sbhooper, yes, the lard was the original, but I eat organic and could not find organic pork lard. Considering that chemicals store in fat cells (which is why people who have done LSD have flashbacks - fat cells being burned off releasing stored LSD) and there is a nasty myriad of chemicals that commercially produced livestock are subjected to, I had to experiment with other fat sources for the recipe. I offered the options because there are also people who have dietary restrictions that would make the lard not possible.

I do agree with the taste. I love to fry organic bacon, then grate my potatoes for hash browns into the skillet.

I've got to try this - sounds very good - both the meat and the tortillas.

On the lard - we render our own lard. We talked to one of the local plants that does the butchering on the 4H animals. They gave us 20 lbs of fat after they butchered 4H pigs in early Sept. Years ago they could sell the fat - but there's no market for it now.

4H pigs may not be technically organic, but those animals are loved, petted and pampered.

We render out the fat in a crock-pot (lowest temp setting, it took about 18 hours to completely melt) - then pour into glass jars and store in the fridge. You can filter out the cracklings through cheese cloth, or just sift through with a slotted spoon.

I'll render a crock-pot full at a time. I just keep the fat stored in the freezer until I am running low on lard.

I cook with it all the time now. I use less lard than olive oil when cooking, tastes great and cooks extremely well at higher temps. I even pour some into small containers that I can take into the field with me.

HSi-ESi, thanks for the rendering reminder. Ive rendered tallow many times, but have not looked around for an organic pork source to render. Ill have to make the time to do that because I prefer to make my tortillas and tamale masa with lard. I can tweak the masa with some spices and beef boullion to get a similar flavor, but the pork fat tastes much better and I love making venison tamales.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back