Caribou Gear Wapiti bag question

Elktrack

I’ve decided I need to upgrade and get the Wapiti set of game bags. I’ve read the posts saying how durable and bug proof they are. Nobody mentioned anything about them breathing well.

Do they breathe well?
I’ve never used synthetic bags.

I have a set. They breathe well and the meat cools quickly in them when you hang them and let air flow around the bag. The Argali ones are good too.
Thank you!
If you like them in AZ climate I know they’ll be alright here. Heat is a factor about 45% of the time for me. My cloth bags don’t necessarily breathe really well. Especially the heavy duty bags. I usually end up switching to the cheapy bags when it’s warm and they’re not bug proof. Hoping these Caribou’s are true all season bags.

I've had mine for several years and absolutely love them. Breathable, durable and clean up well. Big plus that they are a family owned CO company. The reflective tabs are nice too. Saw them at the outdoor show and they are coming out with a stretchy, back country rifle cover as well.

Love the bags and use tons of them. I have ordered sets and individual and strongly prefer just ordering individual now. The sets are over thought, i like the medium 28x48 bags! Perfect size for deboned animals think pillow case size. 3 on a elk and 1 on a deer holds all the meat and is still not to heavy to lift and allows proper cooling. The kits come with extra bags that are either to small or to big for how i break down a elk. The 60" bag is only good for a bone-in quarter being loaded onto a horse. Have had 2 bags rip, one was my fault set bag down a sharp stick other bear got a paw on it, pretty durable. Very easy to clean/maintain, best overall bag i have used so far (not lightest) but best all around.

I have only used mine one time. Early September for elk. Worked well. Was camped at almost 10k so it chilled well at night. Didn't seem to have any issues. Cleaned up well.

I used them for many years.
do they "breath well?", nowhere near what a woven stretch game bag "breaths" but it hasn't been an issue, all synthetics are the same way
way more durable than a woven bag
they cleanup in the washer as fresh as a spring day
vacuum seal them in pairs for carrying in the pack and you won't go back to woven game bags

only downside, bloody muscle allowed to dry against the fabric will stick to said fabric like it grew there.
I’d get these, good for E/D/A

5BC6A181-D979-415B-AD4F-F286EF411662.jpeg

Last edited:
I was folding our set of Caribou Gear game bags tonight after washing and thinking that I really should write them a glowing review, one set has done duty for two hunters for four hunting seasons now and aside from some smudges are in as good shape as when we got them. They've hung up antelope, deer and elk quarters and I like how the set comes with a "goodie bag" for the backstraps and tenderloins and other pieces. We'd buy them again without hesitation, but I really don't see them needing to be replaced for a good long time yet :)

I would agree with @WapitiBob and @270.Rose
I have used the Caribour Gear for both elk and oryx and they worked perfectly! I would buy again as well. I have the exact pack that is show above (magnum pack).
The magnum pack comes with VERY LARGE bags that allowed me to put the hindquarters, and front quarters in them while still protecting all the meat. I would agree that very large pillowcase would be a good description.

Very durable bags and have used them for years, wash easily and look practically new. Don't hold up well though to the sharp teeth of a Pine marten:(

I had the same thought this weekend as I was washing and putting my bags away. They’ve taken everything I’ve thrown at them in the last 5 years and still holding strong - not quite as bright white as they used to be, but that’s it.

My Wapiti bags lasted longer than I can remember but I retired them this year and bought the Magnum set I showed above.

I'lll be buying their rifle cover as well.

Remember to save with code "Randy".

I'm friends with the Teds (Sr. and Jr.) at Caribou, they're a great family business and they make great game bags. They take a ton of pride in their products, can't go wrong with their stuff in any condition I've found yet-heat or cold. I keep a set of the Muley bags for deer/antelope-sized critters, and Wapiti size for elk, they've lasted for years.

I have used one set for many seasons. They are great and extremely durable....but they are not pack rat proof. Pack rat stole the small bag from the set while hunting in SD. I found it a year later under the porch of our hunting shack! The rat had been using it for his home..or out house and was chewed up pretty good🙄

I have a lot of these game bags. They are all that I use anymore. Very breathable and durable. The only ones I have had to "retire" are the ones that have been chewed through by varmints when I couldn't hang the bags and had to leave them on ground level (think caribou hunting in AK without any trees on the tundra), or when I have not been careful enough around broken bones (rib cages, lower legs, etc.) and they have been ripped by the sharp bones. I can usually repair any small tears/rips, but once they get a few of them or the tears are too long, I end up replacing them. Some of my bags have probably held quarters from 10+ animals over the years.

I like having a couple of sets too, so when I get back to camp I can transfer into a clean set of bags if needed. Sometimes it can be tough to keep all the dirt off the bloody bags, especially if processing solo. But that is an issue with any type of game bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back