Cargo trailer feedback needed

eatgame

I have a 17ft ft tandem axle V-nose cargo trailer rigged up for hunting. Going on my first otc elk hunt in CO this year. I have not landed on a unit yet. I know this is likely too broad of a question but any input will be helpful. How much of a liability would a tandem trailer of this length be? I know I will not be able to travel some of the rougher roads. Are there enough decent access roads to camp on and then take the truck through the tougher patches to access trailheads? Or should I ditch the trailer and simply use what will fit in the truck?
I have seen Randy haul a cargo trailer on some of his hunts but it appears to be a smaller trailer.

I have a 7x16 v nose that I have used as a mini toy hauler for my Polaris Ranger and as a camper. It's been all over the place. I've had mine for 8 years now and I absolutely love it. I typically set up base camp off of a well used road within 5 miles or so of where I'm hunting and use the ranger or my truck from there. Just make sure you have a couple spares and you are good to go.

My buddy in Wyoming has a 7'x12' v nose that we use as a camper when he draws a tag in rough country that we don't want to pull my 19' travel trailer into. His Dodge Ram diesel will take it anywhere we want to go and it's nice to have a fixed unit that you have plenty of room in that isn't bothered by wind and that can be heated easily for a good night's sleep even in bad weather. I don't think your extra length would be much different and if you get to a place you don't want to take it just camp there and take the truck on into rougher country like we also do from time to time.

Last edited:
im working on my 7x14 double axle cargo tlr myself,,man is it a lot more work and time consuming than I thought to give it the full rv conversion to it,,im about 3/4 done with it and it is nice,,all aluminum is very time consuming vs standard wood interior.

Related, my buddies and I are driving from Indiana to Central Montana and pulling a trailer. We have a F-250 diesel that has been performance tuned that we are driving. We have our choice of two trailers:
-A 7x16 tandem v-nose that has a 7ft tall box
-A 6/12 single axle round-nose that has a 6ft tall box
Is there a real advantage of taking one over the other? Do the tandem axles offer any benefit over the single? How much of a difference would we see in gas mileage between one or the other? I'm far from a trailer expert and I'm sure many of you are.

I have a double axle 16' v nose that is my hunt wagon. My pioneer 1000 fits in it and once out makes a awesome rv for 2 guys. Mobile, dry and warm is nice to have when hunting weeks straight. I like double axle for stability I also take couple Jack stands and 2*8s. Few places are truly flat so I use lumber under tires and Jack stands to get unit level. This winter I insulated my whole trailer with 1" foam added a roof vent and a window and built table into vnose area also wired it so I have lights, smal inverter and Mr buddy fan has plug rather than batteries. Sweet setup that allows me to camp comfortable down low in better sites and drive into area via SxS.

I'll estimate you can get a 17' tandem axle within 2-3 miles of over 90% of public land trailheads in CO. From there, drive or hike. Of course trailheads will be packed w rigs during OTC and even limited seasons. So scout for spots to hunt that are near parking places but not easy to access (steep, down timber, cliffy), some elk will be pushed there by pressure from the hordes accessing the trailheads. Remember, you are allowed to park/camp within 100' of Forest Service roads in most areas, so you don't need an official campsite.

What if it snows 1-2 feet @ your camp?

I just got a 7X16 v nose lark for 3700$. I plan to double it as a camper and a toy hauler for trips out west.

I have a 7x16 v nose that I have used as a mini toy hauler for my Polaris Ranger and as a camper. It's been all over the place. I've had mine for 8 years now and I absolutely love it. I typically set up base camp off of a well used road within 5 miles or so of where I'm hunting and use the ranger or my truck from there. Just make sure you have a couple spares and you are good to go.

We have used this plan and it has worked very well. Fairly versatile.

I am looking into this myself. Nothing like a camp that is dry warm and out of the wind. I am going to pick one up this summer and get it ready for my October elk hunt. Looking at a 6x12. I don't need anything much bigger for myself and all of my gear.

blacksheep

I am looking into this myself. Nothing like a camp that is dry warm and out of the wind. I am going to pick one up this summer and get it ready for my October elk hunt. Looking at a 6x12. I don't need anything much bigger for myself and all of my gear.

blacksheep

I would recommend you get he extra height if possible.

Why is a single a nightmare waiting to happen?? I pull my fish house out west, single axle, I just make sure to have really good tires and 2 spares. Need to only check 1 set of wheel bearings instead of 2:)

I dont have a trailer so I cant offer too much insight other than to say while hunting in Colorado last year we went up some roads and trails that we weren't certain the truck was going to make it only to find a guy with a massive camper or toy hauler trailer at the top. I was really shocked to see how some guys were able to maneuver up these areas like they did. Based on this alone, I'd say it has more to do with the proficiency of the driver and how comfortable you are moving that trailer around.

Why is a single a nightmare waiting to happen?? I pull my fish house out west, single axle, I just make sure to have really good tires and 2 spares. Need to only check 1 set of wheel bearings instead of 2:)

Going 70-75 down the highway loaded down a blowout sure sucks on a single in really bad elements. In the one I experienced it pulled us into the oncoming lane jackknifing. No thanks. Tandems pull 10x easier and straighter with major wind gusts all day or going over passes and through blizzards that you are guaranteed to have out west. I've had experiences with both single and tandem and IMO there is no comparison. Just my .02 though.

Lots of reasons. Insulation, roof mounted HVAC system, lights, shower stall, etc.....

The trailor should work great for you , just pack chains if your hunting later in the season .
We learned the hard way !!
Best of luck to you hunting this fall !!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back