Canvas backs They sink?

D

Delw

OK guys I got one for ya.
I was out at the lake today prefishing for a bass tourney tomorrow. Thought I would bring my shotgun to shoot some ducks.As luck would have it,it snowed and rained all day (in the az desert too). We'll fishing sucked but the duck hunting was great.
However I Shot a canvasback that did a fly by in the middle of the lake. The duck was about 10 yards above the deck and 25 yards out. I shot and it dropped . Only one problem it didnt resurface. I stayed there for 1 hour looking for that damn thing and it didnt come back up.
My question is do they sink? the water was 80 feet deep so I know it didnt get caught in any grass or tree's. Ive only had this happen one other time but it was in 3 feet of water we found it about 20 mins later in a tangle of tree's. What happened this time?

Delw

Was the wind blowing? Could it have swam under and resurfaced along way away and even if it was dead could the wind have blown it away from you? Ripples or waves can easily conceal a duck sized animal floating on the surface.

Later,

DFA

My guess would be that he surfaced with just his head and bill above the water and swam off.

Incidentally, I've had beavers steal downed ducks and once one even took a dead Canadian Goose before I could get to it!

------------------
indian.gif

VEGETARIAN: Indian word meaning 'Bad Hunter'

It was kinda windy but the waves were low. I scoured the area with the trolling motor. today I asked some of the guys fishing in the tourney if anyone seen it. no one did.

Big mistake I didnt bring the shotgun to the lake today during the tourney. There were litterialy 1000's of ducks and a few geese flying about 30 yards away.

Never thought of the beaver idea. there are a few at the lake but mainley in the upper end about 5 miles north.

Delw

Delw,
I go with yooper's suggestion. I've seen those rascals swim so low in the water that even when it's calm they are almost undetectable. By the way, if left in the water very long, turtles will nab those ducks, too. I'm not talking those little mud turtles. I mean those big ole loggerheads that are as big around as a hub cap. I've seen it.
smile.gif
SR

Yep...... I forgot about turtles, too. But those big snappers will steal a duck in a New York minute.

You're lucky to get a shot at Canvasback..... its a really rare thing to see 'em here where I hunt. But down in Lake St. Clair they see cans by the thousands.

------------------
indian.gif

VEGETARIAN: Indian word meaning 'Bad Hunter'

delw, we hunt open water divers and last year i had the same thing happen,as we were looking for the duck my buddy spotted something white under water after moving around the vegetation it was my duck he apparently twisted himself around down in the vegetation basically committing suicide! i know it sounds funny but my buddy who is bigtime D.U. said that it often happens with open water divers!

was there any vegetation around for this to possibly happen????

if not than like the others said, ive seen them beaks go slippin through the pads more than once! just my .02

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

DKO
I have seen the same thing happen with mallards, also seen them swim under the ice and die. I don't think we ever had a beaver or turtle take a duck but where we hunted we did have bald eagles and hawks take downed ducks. We had one hawk try to fly off with a teal decoy once, he couldn't figure out why he could only fly so far before the weight sunk in the mud yanked it out of his claws.

DKO
no there wasnt any vegetation anywhere its a rocky/sandy bottom. I have had this happen only one time befor and it was tangled in a bush. Really wierd.

Delw

I think it dove and swam away. I shot a wood once and it dove and swam away but it swam right past the boat, underwater and I reached down and caught it by hand. Beavers eat trees not ducks.

welcome to the forum Greenbutt. how long have you lived in puyallup? where do you teach what school?

Delw

I've lived on and off in WA since 1980 while stationed at Ft. Lewis. I am at Orting. My wife bought me a greenbutt key chain and I like the name. I like to hunt ducks and grouse.

well if you looked southwest up the hill that where I lived. I use to hunt around orting alot. Used to hunt on ft lewis alot too. Hell I hunted and fished everywhere in washington state. I went to rogers highschool up on south hill. I went back about 8 years ago(for a visit) and swore I would never go back again. to many ca. people there and they ruined the state.

Delw

Small world. My two youngest sons graduated from Rogers. Matt played football and won one conference championship but lost to Puyallup High 4 times. He decided not to play college ball and broke my heart. My nephew plays on the AZ team. He is number 78. Duck hunting around Orting is poor and all but gone due to Ken Behring building housing for people from CA. Accross the street from the high school is a big new shopping center and McDonald's! All my duck hunting and grouse hunting spots are gone and will head east next year. I usually go back to the midwest each year but didn't this year as the kids couldn't go. I'll go someplace this year. Good luck and keep in touch.

They graduated in 97 and 98. We lived in Lakewood then (1981) and they were toddlers. We moved to D.C. and Germany, came back in 92 and bought a house in Fir Terrace, just down the street from Rogers off of 128th toward Canyon Road. Don't come back. You will hate what you see. Anyone who owned property has sold and they have put up row apts every place. Even right up to the back of Rogers. It makes me sick and I've been watching it. We're ready to sell and move back east.

[This message has been edited by Greenbutt (edited 01-22-2001).]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back