Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Canadian Bacon,new old recipe.

hank4elk

I had been making a corned brine for a elk shoulder roast I found in my freezer from a '16 cow when the page turned and there was a simple recipe for Canadian Bacon,and it just so happened there was 2 pork loins under the roast.
This recipe is from Charcuterie and it has become my go to cure book for the last 12 years, ....since it was a gift from a professional private chef friend.

Brine
1 Gal. water
1 1/2 cups Kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 oz/42 grams pink salt(8 teaspoons)
1 large bunch fresh sage
1 bunch fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves,peeled ,smashed
4lb boneless pork loin

Combine brine ingredients in large pot & stir until boiling good. Remove from heat & cool brine completely.
Then place loins in cool brine with plate on loin to submerge & refrigerate 48 hrs.
Remove loin from brine & rinse under cold water & pat dry. Place on a rack on tray & refrigerate uncovered 12-24 hrs
Hot smoke to internal temp of 150, 2-3 hrs.
Allow to cool & refrigerate up to 10 days.

I have not made this for 10 years & do not have a hot smoker right now. So I will cold smoke 3-4 hrs & finish in oven on low(200) until internal temp of 150 hits.
I plan on trimming off some of the thick fat before brining the loins. I am tempted to cut the pink salt to 6 tesps too.
You can just roast low in oven,but the smoke ands sooooooooooo much.
I will be using store bought pork instead of good ole wild pig,which is hard to come by in NM. Might have to try an elk backstrap chunk next....

Last edited:
Looking forward to trying it out never done one will get it in the brine Saturday. Thanks for posting.

In talking to a butcher buddy when I got some more pink salt,he said do not use near that amount for 2-4lb pork loins & I concured. I used half that much pink salt and add more brown sugar & Kosher. salt. 2 cups Ksalt & 1cup brwn sugar, 1 cup reg. sugar.

Yes , it's the same thing .
Different name, there are several. Usually a pink or red tint to the salt.
Tinted curing salt,processed from Sodium Nitrate. Use 1 oz per 25lbs of meat.....package label.
Mortons Salt Cure is one all pre mixed.
Nitrate added to pink salt is Insta -cure #2.

One note in my Charcuterie book says to go by weight as some salt is heavier. Morton Kosher weighs 8oz per cup, Diamond Crystal Kosher weighs 4oz per cup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back