Can anyone school me on .300 BLK for white-tailed deer?

We shoot the fiocchi loaded with the 125 grain sst in our ar pistol chambered in 300 blackout.

So far we've had good luck with them. 4 deer in 1½ seasons. Hoping to add to that tally yet this season.

Did you even read all of it?
Yes. And I started shooting these bullets in 2011 when Barnes did the first experimental run. First commercial loading was in December of that year and became available in January, 2012. They were designed specifically to expand at speeds down to 1300 fps and defeat barriers for mil/LE. https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tac-tx/ Naturally they were seized on by hunters and since Mil/LE adoption of 7.62x35 has been slow, the marketing quickly evolved.

The pink tipped 125g bullets produced by Atlanta Arms are still the gold standard for 300 BLK hunting rounds, but that was a custom run of bullets and a one time only deal and they sold out in 2012.

Also, no offense here, but the situation you described sounds like a poorly hit animal. I don't think the bullet would have mattered much in the above described situation.
None taken, I just don’t get how a shot can be good enough to crumple an animal within 80 yards, but still poor enough to leave it alive after an HOUR. Wild stuff. Especially since where the exit hole was located, it should have hit both lungs, but maybe not because of the actual results.

None taken, I just don’t get how a shot can be good enough to crumple an animal within 80 yards, but still poor enough to leave it alive after an HOUR. Wild stuff. Especially since where the exit hole was located, it should have hit both lungs, but maybe not because of the actual results.
I hear ya. Sometimes it just happens. I wouldn't fault the Barnes though. They've been a solid proven performer. Good luck on the rest of your season.

Yes. And I started shooting these bullets in 2011 when Barnes did the first experimental run. First commercial loading was in December of that year and became available in January, 2012. They were designed specifically to expand at speeds down to 1300 fps and defeat barriers for mil/LE. https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tac-tx/ Naturally they were seized on by hunters and since Mil/LE adoption of 7.62x35 has been slow, the marketing quickly evolved.

The pink tipped 125g bullets produced by Atlanta Arms are still the gold standard for 300 BLK hunting rounds, but that was a custom run of bullets and a one time only deal and they sold out in 2012.
Sounds like you have some real inside knowledge there. I generally don't get that deep into it and just follow the manufacturers recommendations.

I will say that the ballistics on that load is not impressive at all, but it should kill deer at modest ranges.

It's just fine for deer, keep it under 200. The Barnes 110/120 Tac-Tx is probably the best bullet for hunting in the Blk. I have had zero issues, and clean kills. Ballistic tips will not expand worth a crap outside of 75'ish due to velocity. Just treat it as a 30-30, not a 300 Win Mag.

It may be that the bullets were at fault.

I purchased several boxes of .257WBY, tipped with Accubonds, at a terrific price From a big distributor. I was having simular wounding /non kill shots. I think in my case the bullets were splashing on impact and not penetrating. A run of poor quality bullets would explain the very low price. Anyway, I pulled the tips, dumped the powder and loaded TSX’s. Problem should be solved. Still, it didn’t ruin the trip, but certainly detracted from the fun.

300BLK should work fine. My buddy used it several years back, with excellent results out to about 200yds. he was very happy with the performance, still talks about it..

I was thinking about trying the 110vmax and or some Speer 130’s I have made for a 30-30 being short and fat they should be a good match for an AR mag

I built an AR from PSA this last spring in 300AAC platform as I was not impressed with 5.56 AR performance on TX hogs previous December. Once received started looking at load options and came across the Hornady site with new load for 135 gr FTX. This past December we did very well with that round, brother in law shot nice doe at about 80 yds, complete pass-thru boiler room she was found piled up 60 or so yards with impressive trail. Also the Hornady 110 gr A Max, and Speer 125 TNT did very well on the hogs! Big fan of Barnes bullets, but haven't ran them through 300AAC yet.

I never thought of using an AR pistol in the shotgun/pistol zone!

Sounds like the wrong bullets. Look for hunting specific bullets. Might be hard to find right now like everything is, but they're out there if you keep looking.

A 12g slug is so much overkill lol, but I use one when I hunt our land in the shotgun zone and it sure kills quickly and efficiently. Makes you feel good making such a quick kill on a deer. A blind person could follow a blood trail from a deer shot with a 12g
I never thought of using an AR pistol in the shotgun/pistol zone!

Sounds like the wrong bullets. Look for hunting specific bullets. Might be hard to find right now like everything is, but they're out there if you keep looking.

A 12g slug is so much overkill lol, but I use one when I hunt our land in the shotgun zone and it sure kills quickly and efficiently. Makes you feel good making such a quick kill on a deer. A blind person could follow a blood trail from a deer shot with a 12g lol.

Probably better check on what constitutes a pistol for a weapons restricted zone. Usually a pistol has to have a straight walled case in order to be legal.

Back