Caribou Gear

Can anyone help me by giving me some advanced tips for elk hunting?

Does scouting really matter? I mean, we go deer hunting up there, and can't get one of those either, but we look for elk, just as much as deer. Does scouting really do anything, for the hunt?

Does scouting really matter? I mean, we go deer hunting up there, and can't get one of those either, but we look for elk, just as much as deer. Does scouting really do anything, for the hunt?

Makes a huge difference. Sounds like you need a new location all together. Even a mile or two further away from a road may make all the difference. Or a new ares all together.

Can anyone help me know what to look for on OnX maps? I can't really tell where to go on OnX. Thanks everyone, and all this help is definitely helped.

Elk need three things (four during the rut): sanctuary, food, water and during the rut add sex. So based on that look for areas that have that. Elk need a lot of water.

Don't over think it, look look and read your sign. Arrive at conclusions with sound unbiased logic. And keep looking until you find them, persistence. I don't know if you fish, but think of it like fishing a river. Less than 5 percent of the river is the most productive while the remaining 95 percent is nothing than per chance.

Scouting is critical to be successful consistently at it. When I didn't scout, my odds of tagging out (being a meat hunter I am not that picky) went way down to around 10%. When I spent my time doing homework and going out during archery and doing my scouting, my odds went up to around 50%. If I have cow tags, my odds are higher than that if I scout.

It sounds to me like you need to spend some time in the woods learning about deer and elk. My guess is your rudimentary knowledge of hunting is based upon where your family always killed elk. That ship sailed, so learn how to find a new spot.

Yes, scouting is very important for deer and elk. Bear too. I scout 200 days a year.

Carson.........Nobody has asked, so I will. Explain to us exactly how you hunt. Give all the details you can.

Yes, scouting is very important for deer and elk. Bear too. I scout 200 days a year.

Carson.........Nobody has asked, so I will. Explain to us exactly how you hunt. Give all the details you can.
Well for starters, my Grandpa likes to drive in the truck, and just pull over when we see something. I on the other hand, like to hike. I like to walk in, where no one has been, and hunt there. I definitely prefer walking, rather than sitting in the truck. Anyways, my Uncle and I go walking every other day. One day, I go with him, the other I go with my Grandpa. My little brother and I switch who we go with, that way we can always have someone with my Grandpa. I have seen elk while hunting, but they are usually downwind, or 1 mile away at last light, but I think that that is just how hunting goes. I go walking, way more often than sitting in the truck, because that is how I am going to see elk. When I walk, I try to go at least 2 miles away from any road.

I find it far less important to scout than to understand habitat, topography, and how animals use them.

Is it possible you are hiking and looking but not picking things apart correctly with you eyes or binos? I know as a western newb it took me a while to calibrate my eyes to what I was looking for and the distances at which to look. I've never elk hunted though.

I find it far less important to scout than to understand habitat, topography, and how animals use them.

You never would have found some of my hunting spots by looking at a map. I've hunted the same unit since the 50's. I know every inch of it. The reason I don't see other hunters when I hunt is my spots aren't where you think elk are. Your way will find elk but not all of them.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back