Camping Storage Bins

All we use now are the Action Packers, but have a couple of the large Rubbermaid bins for light stuff. The translucent bins don't hold up to cold very well. They can and do crack.

Virtually indestructible. I need to bite the bullet and replace my cheap translucent bins with these. The cheap ones break, leak, and the lids are not dependable...need to be retired to Xmas ornament attic duty.

I've recently discovered the wonder of using totes like these. My friend stores everything in them and I thought it was just him being a neat-freak. But they are ridiculously convenient.

Hey miller, where do you find those action packers at?

I have one that has ridden around in the back of my pickup, filled with things like jacks, tow ropes, etc., for at least 10 years now but it is starting to give up the ghost so it needs replacing.

Want something strong enough to hold everything but the lid also needs to stay on while driving down the road.

I get them at the local Big R store. They run sales on them for $29 for the 24 gallon IIRC.

I have purchased those Rubbermaid Action packers at Wal-mart.

I have a large one and small one. I like the fact you can lock the lid down, throw it in the back of the truck and not worry about the lid flying off. You don't want to stack them in the truck bed, they are too slick and will slide off as the load in the truck may shift.

Must be Christmas again, look what I found.

b0aa4bdc-eca6-42fc-bb51-71d2bda9143a.jpg
[/URL]

haha, good deal. Find em at the Nampa or Boise store? Reason I ask is I haven't seen them lately in Boise and would like another.

These are my favorite!

Attachments

• Snap 2014-01-24 at 19.38.34.png
    Snap 2014-01-24 at 19.38.34.png
    82 KB · Views: 287
Nampa store yesterday. $8 a piece I believe, my wife got some for me. That would be a lot of gear if I had that many totes! These things seem really durable, might have to get some for garage storage too, darn good price.

Another vote for the Action Packer. I have 5 of the 24 Gallon ones, but would really like to pick up one or two of the larger size.

I used a couple of those yellow top bins and they didn't last long for me. I was using one in my Rhino to keep the dust off the backpack. The slot on the lid broke so it was no longer secure. I used a piece of parachute cord around it to get through the trip. Replaced it with an Action Packer and it is much more durable but 5 times the price. The black and yellow totes are good if you don't overload them and just use them for storage and and travel with minimal handling. I have the Rubbermaid Roughneck Jumbo's I have been using for years for my kitchen box and sleeping bag storage. One also doubles as the bath tub once camp is set and the contents are out of it. Two of those finally cracked out on the bottom this year. I will probably replace them with the Action Packers. Hard choice since the Roughnecks stack so well and new ones will probably last longer than I have left in me. To me, a major feature that adds to the durability of any tote, and I've used many different types and brands, is having a lid that curves up instead of down into the tote as the black and yellow totes do. If you fill the tote to the top and put the lid on, you are really stressing that little cheesy slot that is supposed to be the latch. Just my $.02.

Today I am putting some of my stuff to bed for the year. I don't think I would go bigger than 24 gal for my needs. Two fit perfectly behind the seat of my pick-up.

FYI........Amazon has 24gal Actionpacker for $34.99, I just ordered 3 with $0.00 shipping!

Noticed your Buddy heater. What do you think about them? 3-4 hours from a 1 lb on low?

Today I am putting some of my stuff to bed for the year. I don't think I would go bigger than 24 gal for my needs. Two fit perfectly behind the seat of my pick-up.

Noticed your Buddy heater. What do you think about them? 3-4 hours from a 1 lb on low?

Maybe a little longer. A couple weeks ago I just slept on the ice in my shelter and had to replace in the middle of the night all three nights. I need to go with a bigger tank in the future. Hate dragging a #20er around, but don't really want to spend money on a #11er. Any experience?

11 lb is a good size, but damn they are spendy. Brother has a Big Buddy (with a loud fan) that we run on a 20 for the big tent. Even at that, by the time you buy a hose and a filter (suggested) is kind of spendy.

Maybe a little longer. A couple weeks ago I just slept on the ice in my shelter and had to replace in the middle of the night all three nights. I need to go with a bigger tank in the future. Hate dragging a #20er around, but don't really want to spend money on a #11er. Any experience?

I used a couple of those yellow top bins and they didn't last long for me. I was using one in my Rhino to keep the dust off the backpack. The slot on the lid broke so it was no longer secure. I used a piece of parachute cord around it to get through the trip. Replaced it with an Action Packer and it is much more durable but 5 times the price. The black and yellow totes are good if you don't overload them and just use them for storage and and travel with minimal handling. I have the Rubbermaid Roughneck Jumbo's I have been using for years for my kitchen box and sleeping bag storage. One also doubles as the bath tub once camp is set and the contents are out of it. Two of those finally cracked out on the bottom this year. I will probably replace them with the Action Packers. Hard choice since the Roughnecks stack so well and new ones will probably last longer than I have left in me. To me, a major feature that adds to the durability of any tote, and I've used many different types and brands, is having a lid that curves up instead of down into the tote as the black and yellow totes do. If you fill the tote to the top and put the lid on, you are really stressing that little cheesy slot that is supposed to be the latch. Just my $.02.

I don't doubt what your saying. I like the action packers as well. I just wish they were able to be stacked, they slide all over the place. I'll try these out, and I guess for the price then I won't be out too much. If these don't work then i'm sure I'll go to the action packers and try and deal with the stack-ability.

Bungee cords are your friend. Has seemed to work for us. Only stack two high tho.

I don't doubt what your saying. I like the action packers as well. I just wish they were able to be stacked, they slide all over the place. I'll try these out, and I guess for the price then I won't be out too much. If these don't work then i'm sure I'll go to the action packers and try and deal with the stack-ability.

I bought 6 Rubbermaid 50 gallon totes for $90 and a 35 gallon Action Packer. The A/P will go in the back of the Rhino for backpacks and all our gear will go into the Rubbermaids. I've been using 3 Rubbermaids and 4 waterproof duffles for clothing, optics and miscellaneous gear. I went to Walmart and they wanted $32.98 each for the Rubbermaids. Went to Walmart online and got 6 ffor $90 and was sent back to the same store to pick them up! Only paid $48 for the Action Packer including shipping, smokin' deal.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back