Camping info Input (Wyo)

JLDemo

Just looking for some input, my 7 year old son and I are heading to Wyoming this weekend and will be up there for a week. We have a plan where we'd like to camp, but wanted to get some opinions.

I've got a 68-1 and a 69-6 tag, so I'm planning on camping on Pathfinder. The concern is fuel, the only station I could turn up where I could hunt both units and not run dry is the Sinclair in Alcova. Any one know any different? Hopefully it's still open! I will have a little spare fuel with me.

I could honestly care less about filling the 69-6 tag, I would rather put more effort into the 68-1 and fishing. If I don't fill the doe tag I won't have any hurt feelings. I am considering cottonwood campground on Alcova due to the fuel station and dinosaur trail. My son is a freak about dinosaurs and we want to fish some.

Anyway, any input is welcome. Looking forward to getting back to Wyoming!

Reactions: trb
I don't know about fuel stops, but if you have time, you might like to take your son to the Tate Geological Museum in Casper. They have a great dinosaur exhibit.

I hunted 68-1 in 2017 and the gas station at Muddy Gap was open as well as the gas pump in Jeffrey City. We stayed at the Green Mountain motel in Jeffrey City. You should have a really fun hunt in 68.

I hunted 68-1 in 2017 and the gas station at Muddy Gap was open as well as the gas pump in Jeffrey City. We stayed at the Green Mountain motel in Jeffrey City. You should have a really fun hunt in 68.
Muddy Gap gas station is worth a visit just for the experience. Be prepared to spend $$$ for fuel though.

Just looking for some input, my 7 year old son and I are heading to Wyoming this weekend and will be up there for a week. We have a plan where we'd like to camp, but wanted to get some opinions.

I've got a 68-1 and a 69-6 tag, so I'm planning on camping on Pathfinder. The concern is fuel, the only station I could turn up where I could hunt both units and not run dry is the Sinclair in Alcova. Any one know any different? Hopefully it's still open! I will have a little spare fuel with me.

I could honestly care less about filling the 69-6 tag, I would rather put more effort into the 68-1 and fishing. If I don't fill the doe tag I won't have any hurt feelings. I am considering cottonwood campground on Alcova due to the fuel station and dinosaur trail. My son is a freak about dinosaurs and we want to fish some.

Anyway, any input is welcome. Looking forward to getting back to Wyoming!
My brother and I filled 2 doe tags in 69 last year in about 6 hours. Totally valid putting in effort towards the 68-1 tag, but just saying, 69 was very fun and worth some time if you want the meat.

Muddy Gap had fuel last week, we didn't stop though. We got diesel at Jeffrey City. $4.04/gallon . They had gas also but I didn't check the price. If the card reader locks up your card just be patient for 3-5 minutes and it will give it back - hahaha. Saw a lot of antelope off the highway in 68. We camped in 106 on BLM. My advice is scout out a few places first. We camped in a very sandy area and when the wind blew it was a mess. Sand everywhere. Camping next to some of the rocks would have been nice to break the wind. We slept inside our enclosed UTV trailer. UTV was not needed and less desirable than just taking the truck everywhere. Now if it rained that would be different I believe. Have a great trip !

Muddy Gap has gas. You could fill the 69-6 tag in ten minutes and then have plenty of time to focus on 68. That’s one of the best buck tags in the state in my opinion. Have fun!

Let's hope so!

Muddy Gap has gas. You could fill the 69-6 tag in ten minutes and then have plenty of time to focus on 68. That’s one of the best buck tags in the state in my opinion. Have fun!
Certainly an option, 69 took some tag cuts so we'll see how the herd is doing. Let's hope the buck tag pans out!

Muddy Gap had fuel last week, we didn't stop though. We got diesel at Jeffrey City. $4.04/gallon . They had gas also but I didn't check the price. If the card reader locks up your card just be patient for 3-5 minutes and it will give it back - hahaha. Saw a lot of antelope off the highway in 68. We camped in 106 on BLM. My advice is scout out a few places first. We camped in a very sandy area and when the wind blew it was a mess. Sand everywhere. Camping next to some of the rocks would have been nice to break the wind. We slept inside our enclosed UTV trailer. UTV was not needed and less desirable than just taking the truck everywhere. Now if it rained that would be different I believe. Have a great trip !
Not bringing the quad up so it'll be all in the truck. I have a very thin line when it comes to having patience and bucks. Top the lack of patience and my 7 year old chirping in my ear to take them all, I might not be hunting very long. I'm trying to explain to him what it takes to draw these tags and we've got to be patient, but he knows me. Lol.

Happy to hear fuel won't be an issue. Thanks for the heads up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back