Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

camp pics

Hey Guys ,no Luck Yet This Week,here Is A Few Pictures From My Stand And The Clover Field I Am Set On You Can See My Stand In The Tree,and A Picture Of Me Looking Spaced Out

There is only one thing missing in those photos.......... Deer and lots of of them. Going out again Tomorow evening to a spot a friend took a shot at one on Tuesday but missed underneith of it. Lack of experience on the both of us estimating distance. Wish me luck.

Get one of those range finders bruce , I got one and it is great for distance . lock you in right up to one yard if that.Now the bad news I got home last night and was getting ready to go out to try out my new tree stand and I could not find my range finder at all.today once I get home I got to turn the place inside out to find it. If not then i'm out $$$ and I was not happy when I could not seem to locate it at all.Deer season right around the corner here but they say this weekend is going to be pretty yucky with on and off rain and high winds. just like it has been for the last few years on opening day.So can you guys tell me what the weather there is since it is coming from your direction for the last couple days ?. By the way morning dave I see you are up early. I hope it is all good , later.

All good guys, I was away since Monday PM. I had an out of town meeting yesterday, but Tuesday I got away for a drive/hunt. Bruce and Ben might be familiar with the area. I went from Blackville up the North side of the Dungarvon, side trip to Renous River, back again to Russell Swim Road down the south side of Dungarvon River and a side trip (walk 2.5 hours) to the Bartholemew River then back to Blackville. Total animals--1 Bird seen and shot and 1 deer, picture taken (see attachment). This is an annual trip that I usually take and usually get more birds. Should have seen alot as the sun came out after three days of rain. I feel the birds just are not there, maybe because of a wet spring? Not sure.
On Monday I did see a doe deer at my stand, I was taking my camera back in to set up, place some more apples and brush in stand. I'll go back in today or tomorrow to check photos. It seemed to me that the motion sensor didn't activate unless I was approx 10' from it. Its fun to play with now, instead of later on when the bucks are moving. Working out the wringles. Next time I go in, I'll take my other camera and post those photos of the layup. Stand is quite small but Trent and I were in it once last year.
Good luck on the hunting guys. Trent, as my grand kids would say, only 'two more sleeps', till the big game hunt.

Attachments

• MVC-490S.JPG
    MVC-490S.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 139
What a blast

Well I got a chance to get out to an area a friend of mine has found and Man what a spot. I was standing at the edge of a field over looking that field and others. I had tried some buck grunts, as I call them the "Hello is anyone home" calls. I even got out the rattle bag and gave it a light rattle. Shortly after that in the second field i see this spot that I don't remember seeing when I got there so I get out the field glasses. Yup it is a nice size buck but I am unable to tell how many points. Itis getting late and he is about 200 + yards away so I put a tree between me and him to try and close the gap. Guess what??? He did the same thing to get away.LOL. OH well at least I saw one. I try a doe call and then I see on the edge of the second field two does looking right at me. I can not shoot a doe as I do not have a doe tag so I play with them using the call and watch them finialy turn and head for the woods. What a night :D :) :p

HEY GUYS,WENT TO CHECK OUT A NEW SPOT TONIGHT,IT IS DEER HEAVEN.APPLE TREES PLENTY,HIDDEN CLOVER FIELDS,THEY SEEN A NICE BUCK ARROUND THERE ALL SUMMER,BUT MAN ITS NO PLACE FOR A BOW,EIGHTER LONG SHOTS OR THICK COVER,I MAY SAVE IT FOR RIFFLE SEASON.FUNNY THING IS I WALKED 3 MILES[MOSTLY SCOUTING] AS I WAS COMING BACK TO THE TRUCK WITH 10 MINUTES HUNTING LEFT.LOOK WHAT I SEE A NICE BIG FAT DEER ABOUT A HUNDRED YARDS FROM THE TRUCK.ALL AFTERNOON IVE BEEN WALKING TO FIND DEER AND THEY COME RIGHT TO MY TRUCK,NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS TOO FAR 200 YARDS BUT I SNUCK UP TO HIM,TILL ABOUT 100 YARDS ,THEN HE TOOK OFF,I WAS HAPPY TO SEE SOMETHING .MIND YOU I COULD NOT TELL IF HE WAS A HE OR A SHE CAUSE IT WAS GETTING DARK.SO THE COUNT SO FAR IS 5 DEER SEEN IN 6 EVENING HUNTS,WITH NO POSSIBLE BOW SHOTS.I AM HAVING A GREAT TIME hump CATCH YOU GUYS LATER :cool:

Sounds like good old NB has a growing deer herd. There was an article in our paper the other day, written by the biologist responsible for the NB deer herd. He stated that deer do seem to have a population cycle and went on to mention years that there were very few deer ( 1971 ??) and years that they were extremely plentiful ( mid 1980's). I feel that in the last few years the population has hit rock bottom ( the main factor I suspect is the coyote boom), but this year I have seen alot of deer, especially kid deer, they were a rarity and to me that the deer population wasn't replentishing itself. It seems that we all are in different areas and have seen a good amount of deer sign. It is very promising to have an eventful hunt instead of beating the woods in hope to seeing one of a few deer. Enough rambling, thanks for the updates guys, as it keeps a hunter excited.
Trent, I never got the chance to ask you what kind of snake is in the photo you sent. Body looks like a garter snake, but the head looks weird. How's the job thing? Tomorrows the day, eh! Happy hunting guys!

I'm not sure what kind it is , maybe a mixed breed.And the job thing is ok and tomorrow I'm not sure about ontil I get up and see what the weather brings I guess. I got a few weeks to hunt so i'm not in no hurry if it is raning like hex out. just as well stay in bed and sleep longer.any ways I got to get the wife of the phone so we can go out for dinner, later guys.

Good to hear about the job Trent.
Its supposed to be heavy rainfall here this weekend so I went and got camera. I have attached the deer photos but I am not satisfied. I had alot of apples out and I do not see them on the bushes, so that means the camera didn't work ( motion sensor). The deer that did take is only about 6' from camera. I had changed batteries and it had reset date. I thought there would be an internal battery to keep time/day/month/year, but I guess not. Anyway I will lower camera on tree and use less of an angle, maybe that will help. Happy hunting.

Attachments

• 100-0004.JPG
    100-0004.JPG
    427.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 100-0005.JPG
    100-0005.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 100-0006.JPG
    100-0006.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 122
Did you guys notice that the first picture has two apples in tree above deer, second picture only one apple and last picture there is none. This deer preferred to stand up to get the apples from tree, instead of eating the ones on the ground. Strange, but true. I always place apples in bushes, because it is harder for rodents ( squirrels,rabbits,etc.) to get them. But I have always observed that a deer will take an apple off a bush usually before the ground.

nice pics you got there dave, it seems that you are in a very close in area with the close up on the pics.Can you set you cam on stand by and test it. with mine I can walk around and a light will flash several times indicating it has detect me.What is the cam set for as in timer wise ? maybe you get pic and while the minute or what ever you got it set to reset other deer has been in and left again.We will work out the kinks when I come home. I am bring mine as well so it can keep track on the area when I'm not out there.I love to get a bear and moose pic. Only other thing I can think of is that the digal cam are not as great as the film ones, The two digal I had for a brief moment was not to good as well as I explain to you on phone.But like my first cam it took me a few trips out there to figure out the up/downs to make it work to it's full potential.any ways keep trying and you will get it set just right. Time to try to get some sleep if I can cause tomorrow I hope that arrows will fly straight and true. I am complete now I can rest easy tonight cause I found my yardage finder. night guys and see you soon and maybe this time tomorrow I will have pics . later

Good Luck Trent,it Looks Like Rain Tommorow Up Here,i Went Tonight But No Luckbruce And Dave Good Luck To You As Well,nice Pictures Dave,pretty Sharp How They Get Apples From A Tree.i Seen One Once On Its Hind Legs Reaching For Applessee You Later Guys

Was out tonight and played with 3 big does and a kid. What a blast. But when we went up through the field here was another deer siloeted by the sky and we could not tell if it was another doe or a buck. I know the bucks are there so I may take a couple of days off next week if the weather is good and give it a try.

bad day here

Ok here is how my morning hunt started out , got out into the tree and was all ready. Around 7:52am from no where was there four point buck . And he was on a mission and not even stop , if I was ready I could of got a 12 yard shot off but he came from no where.Then at 8:30am as I was checking out distance right below me was a button buck and I swear at that point that they were coming out of the ground. I had no intention on shooting him but just the fact he was there and then gone. 9:11am was watching where the button buck last was on the trail when I seen legs coming my way so I was on the ball this time and got up and got ready to deliver a deer to the butcher and it was the button buck again.Then at 10:04am same set up look down the trail seen legs and got up and place my back to the deer til it passed leaving me a shot about 12 yards. I glance back once and notice it was a buck I wouls sat a spike with kickers rounding it off to maybe a four point.But the size is what got me up and ready so I waited til it pass behind the tree and drew back about three quarter way and seem to loose my strenth but mustard enought to come to full draw and the deer got half way up the hill and turn side ways and just stop and listen. I at this time was trying to fine to sights and finaly did and was waiting for him to take a couple steps for a great shot. I notice a open to the left of me and lean revealing him open so I took am and release . If was as if lightening hit him and just threw him to the ground . he try to get up and could not. it seem that his right leg was broke. So when he try to get up as the arrow hit him on his left side he slid down the hill just under me and flop over and I could see the arrow/shaft three quarters out of him and it was a great placement.Well the picture looks good but bad news is he got away and I can not find him. |oo first thing I did wrong was not wait long enought and with in 5 minutes I call the wife and I think he herd me talking he took off and I only waited about 20 minutes. what suck about it he had to at least went a total of 40 yards befor settleing down and when he took off again another 100 yards til he got off the property.I went to the house and it takes 10 mintues walking fast to get there and decided to wait til wife got to daughters house. well she got there and she brought the thunder and the rain and it poor like a SOB. we headed back out there so that we have signs to follow but it rain so hard it wash any thing away. even where I seen lots & lots & lots of blood there was nothing. Wife had to leave and I spent 4 hours covering the property and taking chances walking on other land but I could not find him. I got that gut feeling that I was close but here is what I ended up with after all was said and done.

Pic of arrow

here is all that I have to show for.

Attachments

• Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 118
I don't know how he even got out of site let along go over 140yards total.when he went down he drag himself a long ways trying to get up and when he did he fell forward again and then I lost site of him only to hear him about five mintes later trying to take off and guess he succeeded.Well we all know that feeling we get when we can not find our animal cause i'm feeling it now.Think that be it for me today and we will see tomorrow. I feel like I should not of hunt with a bow when this happens. maybe tomorrow I might try it again and go out there. with all that rain my sent be gone but if it happens again then I be hanging up the bow til next year.I know I made a great shot on him by the way the hole was on both sides but can not figure out how he manage to get away? He gasp for air indicating a lung hit.Well that is it for me later guys and do better then me.

Man O Man Sorry About Your Deer Trent,he Must Not Have Gone Too Far.i Always Try To Wait Half Hour Before Going After Him.bow And Arrow Is A Whole New Ball Game,it Is Harder Than Most People Think,having To Draw,get Your Yardage Correct Ect...,but From What You Stated You Made A Great Shot Therefore Don,t Down Yourself.a Fataly Wounded Deer Can Go Quite A Ways ,i Have Shot Deer That Have Gone A Hundred Yards With A Bullet That Exploded Right Trough The Heart.you Did Everything Right Finding It Is The Hard Part,good Luck

Second look

We just got back from going out and looking one last time.The rain did me in this time.I'll find him later when the birds start there feed on him.Not sure if I will go out tomorrow . it is suppose to rain off and on and if that is so then we are going out to visit the daughter and see what we can do to help them winterize there new home.Right now we are going to eat and I think i'm going to have one hell of a good night sleep.

On Saturday I went in to were I wanted to sit around 1:30 and at arround 2:45 just after I woke up (yes I said wake up) from an unexpected nap I could see 3 does comming accross the distant field.
I watched the does again but no buck yet. I know he is there but he is not comming out at the right times. He will make a mistake yet. The does got to within 40 yards of me and as it began to rain one stopped and give herself a shake like a wet dog would do. That was neet to see. I got to sit and watch the does for about 1 hr to 1 1/2 hr. You have to love it.

I am sorry to hear of what happen to you Trent but I also have been told to not give up to get back up there learn from our mistakes and try again. I hope it never happens to me but I also have come to understand that in bow hunting this has happend to almost everyone at least once and if it has not yet it will. Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flight343
Back