Caribou Gear

Camp dishes and traditions

I always hunt from home so closest I can get for tradition is a big steak on the smoker the night before moose season and hotdogs cooked on the heater in the deer blind in November lol

Night before the opener at deer camp, homemade wild game stew and biscuits, with fried deer backstrap for appetizers. If anyone remembered to save some backstrap.

Deer opener is always BBQ the first night and then usually beef tenderloin the second night.

Western hunt (deer/elk/lope) we usually have chili, stew, grilled steaks, spaghetti, sometimes tacos/fajitas, sometimes chicken fried steaks. Usually keep a pot of beans on most of the week. If elk or deer hunting we will usually pre-make the stew, chili, spaghetti sauce, etc.. and freeze in vac sealed bags for quick and easy re-heating.

I don't cook much while hunting anymore, Just a lot of stuff to munch on. Summer sausage with ritz crackers and cheese, lots of garden vegetables and fruit, a big bag of mixed nuts (unsalted) and of course chocolate chip cookies.

When I was a kid my mom made a killer oatmeal bread. Every pheasant hunting trip my dad would take that bread and make some fat salami sandwiches with cheddar cheese and yellow mustard. Paired that with a green yellow delicious apple, washed down with the purest of two week old Cantine water. All consumed amidst the fragrant odor of wet dog. That is one of the fondest memories of my entire life.

TV dinners are my mainstay when camping in the trailer. Hungry Man have been replaced by Lean Cusine. Sometimes during a day due to bad weather or when I need to reduce my possession, I'll bone out a rooster and make strips (Shake & Bake with equal parts panko crumbs). Back in the days when I stayed twenty-five miles in the wilderness in wall tent I ate a lot of canned stuff: chili, stew, salmon, chicken, etc. Freeze dried was pretty awful back then and way too expensive. The occasional fresh trout was a welcome change. Hunting all day and looking after horses left me with little energy to fuss with cooking. My hunting partners weren't much help but they had a good excuse. Black Labs don't handle pots and pans very well.

When someone has a fire going and breaks out marshmallows, I have been known to break out a pound of bacon and put it on the grill rack. People have said it's brilliant.....

When someone has a fire going and breaks out marshmallows, I have been known to break out a pound of bacon and put it on the grill rack. People have said it's brilliant.....
Grilling/camp fire bacon (or side pork) is a fine art. Takes it to a different level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back