Camo Necessary?

I think I am going to start going this route as well, even for whitetail hunting here at home.
I did this year and it worked out fine. The jacket I wear hunting is camo so I usually wore it but I didn't wear camo pants until it got colder later in the season. I shot a doe wearing a black rain jacket and grey Walmart outdoor pants this year.

Definitely, actually found my waterfowl jacket on amazon for $100 and I'll put it up against any sitka duck hunting jacket!

Only 12 days of season left out here 😫
What is this jacket you speak of? I'm in the market for a new one before next season and was debating on getting the dakota hoodie.

I have quite a bit of Kuiu clothing since I like the fit and quality. And I have a mix of solid colors and camo depending on what was on sale when I was buying. I do lean towards the earth tones when available, and I would say I have ended up with more camo than I would prefer.

What is this jacket you speak of? I'm in the market for a new one before next season and was debating on getting the dakota hoodie.

I've never had a sitka but can't imagine any jacket keeping me warmer and as comfortable as this one.

Reactions: JDH

I've never had a sitka but can't imagine any jacket keeping me warmer and as comfortable as this one.
I have the delta wadding jacket.

Couple things I like gore-tex, pitzips, front shell pockets have small drains in them so if you stuff a bunch of spent hulls in them you don't have watery pockets, and the wrists have drysuit style wrist guards so you don't get the sleeves of your layers underneath wet.

It's a shell so I layer depending on the weather.

Do you need it to duck hunt... no... is it a pretty sweet jacket... 100%

Get what you can afford, you can always add as you go. Decent basic clothing is perfectly fine. The probably smell you before they see you anyway.

This one is the best coat I have ever owned. It wasn’t cheap, but if I lost it, I would buy another one the next day...

E8EB7011-756F-4CE7-AEE8-7F7076290B06.png

I always laugh when I see the picture my dad took of me with my first buck. I put a surplus camo shirt on for the picture because I thought it looked cooler. I actually shot the deer wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and rubber boots.

If you have a Walmart in your area, check them between now and end of Feb for clearance in their hunting area. The vast majority of my camo comes from there. It don't match, some of it is the good material, some cotton, etc but it works fine. Been doing this for years. When choosing, keep layering in mind.

Good luck this next season.

Yep, earth tones will work just fine. Old timers killed a lot of game in jeans and plaid shirt. I WOULD recommend you focus on the material used in the clothing. Cotton kills. Look for synthetics or good old wool. You can squeeze the water out of soaked fleece/synthetics/wool and still get warm. Discount chain stores have great lightweight polypropylene tops/bottoms similar to what runner/bikers wear. There's lots of cheaper fleece and even down type jackets for a reasonable price that would work just fine.

I might spend a little more on good rain gear shell and just make sure you have synthetics/wool in earth tones for all else. A good raingear/shell (in my opinion) is probably the best survival gear you can have. If you have good insulation and a solid shell you'll probably survive.

Function,comfort,versatility. My needs for the hunt.
I rarely wear camo except when I'm hunting. The few deer I have taken in jeans were on the way to hunt and opportunity presented itself........
I wear a lot of earthtones. Mixed patterns of camo. Noise in clothes & gear is a pet peeve of mine.
My 40yr old Woolrich plaid coat at times over Patagonia fleece. 35 yr old Gander Mtn waterfowl parka is go to gear in any real bad weather still. Duluth flex firehose pants seem to be working out except the few times they get wet,they dry fast here. Not too noisy.
Now I did just get some new camo gear last year, it was purchased for what I think I might need here. For where I live & hunt usually. Wore it once guiding my buddy this year.
Still wound up covering up with some windshear berber fleece to stay warm in the wind..........2 different tones of outfitter camo.
Breaking up your outline by mixing is easy. And works.
Good rain gear is a must if that is the case.

Can we just leave him up there?

As to the camo question, the majority of the deer, elk, antelope, and sheep that I have shot I was wearing jeans, and of course hunting in Colorado and Montana I had a bright orange pumpkin top.

I prefer to wear camo, but I have been hunting bighorn sheep and antelope in Montana wearing jeans and an orange top, and have been sitting on the ground with my Golden retriever next to me, and have had both sheep and antelope walk up close enough to me that I could hear them biting off grass and chewing it.

Back