Camo Necessary?

@Runnin_Chupacabra I started hunting in '12 I had a bunch of backpacking experience but no hunting experience. The mag adds and shows all had guys wearing camo so my first hunting clothing purchase were camo.

In '15 I found this hunting forum with all these total nut jobs and degenerates.

Every year these folks would all go on these amazing adventures, kill huge animals, and post stories. I noticed most of them wore camo haphazardly.

A common theme on this forum is that the gear that gets you outside and helps you stay there is the most important factor.

This can mean just going in what you have, and it can also mean buying from the best manufacturers.

Get some clothes that are light and warm.

I haven't purchased much camo since '15.

This degenerate (post #5) seems to do all right ;) ... wearing blue nevertheless

View attachment 170611
View attachment 170612
Awesome bucks!! Congrats! I've noticed the same things in all the tv shows, magazines or media. All great points!

I have 0 experience hunting in the west, but I'd say your decision should be based on what game and what type of hunting you're doing. If you're bowhunting or gun hunting turkeys on the ground without a blind, then yep camo matters big time. If you're bowhunting elk or deer on the ground then yes it matters in my opinion. If you're hunting elk or deer with a rifle then I don't think it matters one bit. In that scenario playing the wind, thermals, and no sky lining are way more important than a camo pattern. Have you considered getting some type of cheap leafy suit that you can use to wear over other clothing? These can be had cheap, slipped on quickly, and viola....your camoed up. Just as an aside, my favorite camo patterns for bowhunting deer and turkey is Predator followed by ASAT. Good luck on your hunt and post up some pics when you get back.

I have some camo stuff but I bought what I have for the functionality of it and price (I have a pair of UA pants that are INCREDIBLY comfortable). I wear different pairs of Duluth pants for most hunts now due to their durability and comfort. Another thing to note is that until very recently there was basically no camo worn in Europe and their hunting culture is wonderful. Think about using the color palate of whatever area you will be in and you are G2G.

PS.....I would qualify this with waterfowl and turkey....whole different set of eyes and camo is important

I have 0 experience hunting in the west, but I'd say your decision should be based on what game and what type of hunting you're doing. If you're bowhunting or gun hunting turkeys on the ground without a blind, then yep camo matters big time. If you're bowhunting elk or deer on the ground then yes it matters in my opinion. If you're hunting elk or deer with a rifle then I don't think it matters one bit.
I think that is generally the accepted wisdom.

These are pretty funny...

I wear much less camo than I used to, and have become a better hunter because of it. Camo is a mental block because it gives you the idea that it’s doing something important for you. It’s really not. Thermals, movement, shadows, and sky-lining matter. I’d advise any new hunter starting out to avoid camo as going without makes you to think about how to be stealthy. I had a doe at maybe 15 yards from me in open timber last fall during bow season looking straight through me as I stood in front of her.

One thing I think is pretty eye opening is watching Rinella's first show Wild Within and then the most recent seasons of meateater.

Same basic gear list when he had to piece together things on his own dime and when he got a ton of free gear.

View attachment 170651View attachment 170652
That's funny you mention that bc re-watching a Meateater episode last night from their latest season, WY Mule Deer, sparked this thought. Steve was in his usual, but Janis was in a navy blue puffy and the guides were in thick khaki colored jackets and one even had jeans on. Looking at Janis' Instagram he has a lot of photos hunting in non camo clothes.

Do you need camo, heck no. Do you need quality clothing, yes. About half the elk we've killed I think I was wearing carhart pants. Same here when sitting in a deer stand. You can fool their eyes if you hunt smart and be careful with your movement. But you won't fool their nose. Play the wind first.

I'm going on my first deer hunt this fall in CO at ~10k ft, (fingers crossed as last year with my points I'd have 100% draw odds) and had a question that seems silly but going to ask it anyways.

We all know the barrier to entry financially can be tough in hunting and the combination of that and having a very slow year at work due to COVID can be tough. Living in a state where it is 100 deg plus during our deer season I'd say my clothing isn't ready for CO. I'd like to buy a new pair of pants and jacket from KUIU, specifically the hybrid series, but it would run me over $600. I've found a great jacket and pant on amazon that has great reviews for hunting, oddly enough in CO, and would run me less than $125, catch is they don't have camo, only brown/khaki. I'd like to save as much money as I can for the tag fee so the question is...could I get away without the camo?

On a side note, I'm a younger guy (less than 30), and take pride in getting things done without the shiny bells and whistles and like grinding things out. I know guys back in the day used to get critters in red flannels so my thoughts in lack of camo stem from the idea that those guys got it done with way less than we have today.

Thanks!
Obviously, waterfowl is a different story!! Stay camo’d up for the blind.

Anymore, I intentionally buy stuff that is not camo because I like to use it for other stuff as well.
See here in Kentucky everyone thinks I'm a lot cooler with my camo on ;)
Especially a Drake jacket.

In all seriousness I do not think it is needed but I prefer to have it, especially since I wear the same hunting clothes for all species.
My wader pants have been duck, deer, turkey and squirrel hunting.

I won't keep beating on what everyone else has said as I'm in agreement.

Buy whatever it takes to get you out on a hunt and atleast mildly comfortable. After that it is just wants, not needs

See here in Kentucky everyone thinks I'm a lot cooler with my camo on ;)
Especially a Drake jacket.

In all seriousness I do not think it is needed but I prefer to have it, especially since I wear the same hunting clothes for all species.
My wader pants have been duck, deer, turkey and squirrel hunting.

I won't keep beating on what everyone else has said as I'm in agreement.

Buy whatever it takes to get you out on a hunt and atleast mildly comfortable. After that it is just wants, not needs
I'll be honest, I'm quite turned off by camo as a fashion statement. Other than waterfowl stuff, very little of what I have anymore is camo.

I'm hard on gear, and I expect high functionality. I either buy Sitka in solids, or buy something like Outdoor Research.

Back