California Hunters - I need some help here

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
OK guys, I need some help. This 16 year-old hunter from LA emailed me and asked my help in finding him some hunting places in Southern California. It amazes me that a young hunter would persevere and fight the logistics it must take to be a hunter in Southern California, and the social pressures on top of that.

If any of you California guys only do one favor this year, I hope it would be to help P.B in his research to find places to hunt in California.

I admire his fortitude and will do all I can to find guys who might give some pointers. Wish I knew something about CA, so I could be of help, but have never hunted down there. Hopefully some of you have.

Please post you ideas here, or PM those to me, and I will email them to PB.

Hoping some of you will help out.

Here is his email to me:

Dear Randy,

I am a fan of your show and a devoted hunter myself. Don't let my age trick you, I am just as capable of stoking the game, shooting it, tracking it, and cleaning it all on my own.

I admire that you take the challenge of hunting on public land, and wish to do so my self.

I live in Los Angeles California and we have one of the longest duck hunting seasons and great duck hunting, in fact I was duck hunting yesterday in Imperial Valley. I got two days limit with a variety of ducks: teal, mallard, pintail, gadwall, ruddy duck, and shovelrs. One thing has been bothering me is that hunting don't finish with only waterfowl

I have attempted to hunt pig and deer but have not been successful. I would love to go out of state and hunt but I do not have the capability so I have decided that this 2010-2011 season's goal will be for me to get a deer and or pig on public land in California

I am ready to hunt hard but the problem is that I don't know a fair or good hunting spot that would give me an opportunity to harvest a pig or deer. If it would not be too much trouble could you give me some tips on where to go or which national forest to hunt.

Sincerely,

P. B.

P.S. Have a great hunting season.

Not sure of P.B.'s ability to travel north, but.....I live in the NW NV area around Reno and Minden/Gardnerville.

I know of many hunters who live in the small towns adjacent to northern Nevada (specifically Coleville and Bridgeport) who hunt the Toiyabe National Forest of Eastern California, specifically the Sweetwater mountains directly adjacent to the Nevada border. These mountains can be very productive with early snows.

In addition, many years ago, my father-in-law hunted (with pretty good success) the Inyo National Forest West of Bridgeport and not too far from Yosemite National Park. The mountains of the Sierra Nevada are extremely rugged and must be approached with caution due to rapidly changing weather conditions.

In either case, there will be private land issues to be conscious of as many of the desireable pasturelands and fields will be bordering national forest and private ground.

A trip up US 395 may be an adventure of a lifetime for P.B. and those that would accompany him. I would not recommend either of these areas to be hunted alone and for sure not without letting others know of your destined whereabouts.

Again - not sure how far he can travel, but Fort Hunter Liggett is probably the best public place to hunt pig. I took my first pig there. It's a few hours north off Hwy 101. You do have to buy either a short-term or annual permit, but there is also a campground or you can stay in a barracks-type room for a fee. Here is a link

http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/

Camp Roberts is another military base open to public hunting, but I've never tried it.

Has he signed up for the forum?

Hey Fin,

I PM'd you a few places for the kid to try... But I don't know about the part he wrote:

"I was duck hunting yesterday in Imperial Valley. I got two days limit with a variety of ducks: teal, mallard, pintail, gadwall, ruddy duck, and shovelrs."

Two limits in one day? Hmmmm....

But I don't know about the part he wrote:

"I was duck hunting yesterday in Imperial Valley. I got two days limit with a variety of ducks: teal, mallard, pintail, gadwall, ruddy duck, and shovelrs."

Two limits in one day? Hmmmm....

He had explained that to me. It was a weekend of hunting, from what I understand, that had ended on Sunday and he had emailed me Monday. Two different things in one paragraph.

I got your PM. Thanks for the help.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back