Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

California Deer Draw Point Creep Summary

Went ahead and applied for sheep just now. So if ever I was to draw sheep it would be now because it conflicts with my Alaska hunt.
No way I could cancel on my clients who have been waiting patiently for several years.
So I take it you applied for the whites? Good for you though the odds are so slim it’s basically a raffle ticket.

I think the impact of this was overblown, was it a loophole? Sure. Was it creating a material impact? Not from what I've seen, not even close.

I disagree.

Doing the math, in California you can apply in a group of 6 for deer. If a hunter had 5 friends/relatives that the bought points for and turned back their tags every year. You could pull a tag with 15 points every season. This year will be the first year that those points will mostly go away. We will see.

I think the impact of this was overblown, was it a loophole? Sure. Was it creating a material impact? Not from what I've seen, not even close.

I disagree.

Doing the math, in California you can apply in a group of 6 for deer. If a hunter had 5 friends/relatives that the bought points for and turned back their tags every year. You could pull a tag with 15 points every season. This year will be the first year that those points will mostly go away. We will see.
Why because they passed that you can’t turn your tag in and gain your points back while everyone else that drew off of your points can keep the tag?

Hello all, hoping to get an answer from someone who understands what goes on in California,
Im planning on a B zone rifle hunt but I wondered if I apply for it as a second choice and use an X zone tag as my first choice will I get the B zone tag if I don’t draw the X tag or am I risking not getting my B tag that way and should I just apply for the B tag to make sure I can go hunting?? I know B zone tags are easy to get historically but I’ve been hearing that they aren’t as easy to get as they were 5 years ago

Hello all, hoping to get an answer from someone who understands what goes on in California,
Im planning on a B zone rifle hunt but I wondered if I apply for it as a second choice and use an X zone tag as my first choice will I get the B zone tag if I don’t draw the X tag or am I risking not getting my B tag that way and should I just apply for the B tag to make sure I can go hunting?? I know B zone tags are easy to get historically but I’ve been hearing that they aren’t as easy to get as they were 5 years ago
If B zone still has available tags after the first choice draw, then they do the second choice draw. If you put B zone as second choice and x zone as first, and do not draw x zone, you have a chance to draw B zone without losing your points. If you put B zone as first choice and are drawn, you use your points for the draw. Check regs for odds on drawing B zone for the second choice draw.

If B zone still has available tags after the first choice draw, then they do the second choice draw. If you put B zone as second choice and x zone as first, and do not draw x zone, you have a chance to draw B zone without losing your points. If you put B zone as first choice and are drawn, you use your points for the draw. Check regs for odds on drawing B zone for the second choice draw.
I can’t find that info anywhere. Not on the CA website and not on gohunt. There’s not even a second choice filter option on gohunt for california draw odds search

The info isnt out for this year yet but should be available soon. Its not technically in the regs, its in the digest.

Thanks a lot for that link. If doesn’t give any % of second choice applicants for B zone but it shows a date of 8/18 as the date the tag quita was filled. So I’m guessing that means that’s when they sold out otc a couple months after the draw which means it was 100% as a second choice in 2022? Am I reading that right? Sorry the california system is pretty foreign to me Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it

Thanks a lot for that link. If doesn’t give any % of second choice applicants for B zone but it shows a date of 8/18 as the date the tag quita was filled. So I’m guessing that means that’s when they sold out otc a couple months after the draw which means it was 100% as a second choice in 2022? Am I reading that right? Sorry the california system is pretty foreign to me Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it
You are reading it right.

Apply for b zone as your second choice and a tough to draw unit as your first or a pp if your looking to build points while obtaining a tag. In the regs look at the unit you want to draw and how many of them we to second choice apps subtract them as well as first choice apps for that same hunt if there are some remaining every drew through the first and second choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back