Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Caliber Battle

I'm a woose. Had a 7mm mag in the past and was a great shooting rifle but couldn't stand the recoil. Big fan of the 7x57 and anything within reason that the 7mm mag or 30-06 will do the 7x57 will also do. Quite a number of cartridges that can be said about. Discussion's like this are interesting but really not much more than nit picking. About three years ago I started hunting elk with a 30-06, first time I ever hunted with a 30-06 and I'm 74yrs old! I like the heavier bullet's in it, I shoot 180gr Hornadys. Three elk shot with three shots sounds great but before that I used my 6.5x06 with 140gr Hornadys and two elk shot with two shots and in all five case's, every elk was dead right there.

But for the sake of argument, I think the difference between them actually lies in the bullet's! In Alaska years ago I fished the Portage River with some friend's and we carried my 308 in case of bears. Had it loaded with 200gr bullet's. At 100 yds it shot about 2" group's which considering the use for it, was fine. I'd choose that over a 7mm mag any day. For myself the ability of a cartridge to kill well is only valid within about 300 yds. That's a bit beyond point blank range for most cartridge's and well beyond for the majority of shooter's regardless what you hear. 7mm mag and 30-06. Having used both my choice is absolutely the 30-06. Less recoil and better bullet's.

My marginal level of hunting experience says that modern cartridges are better killers than people give them credit for. I like some margin, but people kill surprisingly large creatures with small cartridges.

Nevertheless, there are two other considerations: Distance and blood trail.

What kills cleanly at 100 yards may wound or miss at 300. You western folks know this much better than I do, hence the love for magnums. Out east, most people sporting magnum rifles are doing little more than compensating for personal "shortcomings".

The one that gets too little attention IMHO is the blood trail. This is a serious consideration for woodland hunting, especially bears where fat and fur tend to plug up small holes. Daughter's .243 black bear kill was as clean as any other kill, but we got no blood.

My marginal level of hunting experience says that modern cartridges are better killers than people give them credit for. I like some margin, but people kill surprisingly large creatures with small cartridges.

Nevertheless, there are two other considerations: Distance and blood trail.

What kills cleanly at 100 yards may wound or miss at 300. You western folks know this much better than I do, hence the love for magnums. Out east, most people sporting magnum rifles are doing little more than compensating for personal "shortcomings".

The one that gets too little attention IMHO is the blood trail. This is a serious consideration for woodland hunting, especially bears where fat and fur tend to plug up small holes. Daughter's .243 black bear kill was as clean as any other kill, but we got no blood.
Define “modern cartridges.”

P

So you say the .30-06 is an overrated hunting cartridge. Then in another post you say you have marginal hunting experience. Explain how you deemed it overrated. mtmuley
Boomers get the same irrational tingly feeling over the .30-'06 that millennials get over the 6.5 Creedmoor today. One needn't be a ballistics expert to see that people attribute ridiculous magical powers to these cartridges.

I like the .30-'06. I think its one of the best woods black bear cartridges out there. It simply isn't the magical bullet that so many make it out to be. I believe that it is a very capable round, but in almost every application I can think of, there are several better choices.

Also, let's not get too chest puffy about hunting experience. Even the most experienced hunter has a statistically small number of kills compared to the collective experience of many hunters, ballistic data, and testing. (Oddly, when someone wants to crow about a cartridge, they cite ballistic data. When challenging someone, they usually fall back on "experience").

Boomers get the same irrational tingly feeling over the .30-'06 that millennials get over the 6.5 Creedmoor today. One needn't be a ballistics expert to see that people attribute ridiculous magical powers to these cartridges.

I like the .30-'06. I think its one of the best woods black bear cartridges out there. It simply isn't the magical bullet that so many make it out to be. I believe that it is a very capable round, but in almost every application I can think of, there are several better choices.

Also, let's not get too chest puffy about hunting experience. Even the most experienced hunter has a statistically small number of kills compared to the collective experience of many hunters, ballistic data, and testing. (Oddly, when someone wants to crow about a cartridge, they cite ballistic data. When challenging someone, they usually fall back on "experience").
I guess I am citing my "experience" killing stuff for over 40 years. With several cartridges. Including the .06. Puff out your chest when you have 'experience' other than what you read on the internet. mtmuley

Other cartridges do specific things better, but no other cartridge does everything better.

Like others I speak from experience. And remember, it ain’t bragging if you’ve done it.

P

What does Brick Tamland have to say about it?

Attachments

• ZomboMeme 15122020232107.jpg
    ZomboMeme 15122020232107.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 14
I refuse to accept the premise of the question. It’s stated poorly. It’s as if one can only have a finite amount of rifles. So start this way:

Say I’m a new hunter and need a rifle. I’m going deer hunting with maybe an elk hunt next year. I’m going 308, plenty of poop to get the job done. Now, I’ve got my short action, 30 Cal

if I’m gonna chase antelope and like the short action, now I have an excuse to buy a 243 or 260.

if after a short while, I wanna move into a standard length action, I’d probably go 280, but I can respect a 270.

Now, if I’m making the commitment to long action, belted magnums, there are many good choices like the 7Mag, .300 of any variety, or 338.

It’s at this point that you start to think about how to justify adding some Big Medicine to the safe. Whether you dream of Dangerous game or think it might be real good moose boom...

Notice that I never mention the venerable old ‘06. Buying the 30-06 is like taking that wrong class in your 6th year of college. All of a sudden you realize your gonna graduate and now you’re screwed. Buy an ‘06 and you have no excuse to buy another rifle.
Rifle acquisition is a journey, not a destination. I won’t tell you how many rifles I have, but I have exactly 2 soft rifle cases. Both identical, except for length. She has no idea why I need such a large safe.

So you say the .30-06 is an overrated hunting cartridge. Then in another post you say you have marginal hunting experience. Explain how you deemed it overrated. mtmuley

He read it on the internet, negates lack of experience. Also managed to insult: boomers, millennials, '06 shooters, 6.5 shooters, the .243, and magnum shooters with small junk. Seemingly trying to establish as 'fringe cool' and will probably purchase an RUM soon, watch your inbox muley...

These are alway interesting exercises and, in my unprofessional opinion, a waste of time equal to the level of entertainment provided. If folks spent as much time at the range practicing in all conditions, spent more time being familiar with what their rifle does, invested a little more research in what bullet their rifle preferred, all this silliness would be even less meaningful.

In my vault I think I have at least one, in some chamberings five, of the most popular hunting cartridges in North America. Everyone of them are far more capable than I am, even with all the bench time I get thanks to free ammo.

If my personal talents were 50% as capable as the cartridge I select, along with the rifle, ammo, bullet, and scope, I'd never miss, regardless of hunting-suitable chambering. If I could get my talent to 75% of the capability of modern equipment and rounds, never would an animal escape, no matter which of those rifles I drew from my vault.

By all means, keep the discussion going. My COVID-isolation boredom has me enjoying reading some of the perspectives.

If folks spent as much time at the range practicing in all conditions, spent more time being familiar with what their rifle does, invested a little more research in what bullet their rifle preferred, all this silliness would be even less meaningful.

Absolutely ridiculous! Where do you come up with this stuff Randy? It's like you've never hunted before...:ROFLMAO:

He read it on the internet, negates lack of experience. Also managed to insult: boomers, millennials, '06 shooters, 6.5 shooters, the .243, and magnum shooters with small junk. Seemingly trying to establish as 'fringe cool' and will probably purchase an RUM soon, watch your inbox muley...
He insults RUM purchasers, people to obtain information from the Internet (which is all of us, BTW), and those who admit to lack of experience (instead of those who pretend on a keyboard to be Jack O'Connor x6).

Where exactly did I "insult" any of these people, especially .243 shooters? Calm down; you're only supporting my assertion that people get too emotional about a piece of metal and powder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back