Cajun Elk Chili

Flyfish4ever

So here's what I do for my elk chili:
I live in Tennessee and I am lucky to have in-laws who are truly Cajun (her entire mom's family is from louisiana, great uncle was at one point the world resource for the blue crab) and I have taken some things from what they do for things like Gumbo and Jambalaya... here is what I do for my chili

Veggies:
1 Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, Minced

Canned:
~25oz can of diced tomatoes
2 cans of red kidney beans (15.5 oz each)

Meat:
1.5lbs burger meat, in my case, Elk
2/3 of a package of Cajun Conecuh Sausage (if you are not in the south, this is pretty tough to come by, but to me, its a critical element in this recipe, I havent tried substituting it for other sausage)

Seasonings:
Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning: i dont measure, but I add a liberal amount (roughly 1.5 tablespoons)
Cumin: again i dont measure, but i add about 2 teaspoons
chili powder: about 1 tablespoon, maybe a little less
Cayenne pepper: just a pinch
Black pepper: twice the amount i would put on a steak (~3 seconds of aggressive grinding)
salt: 3x the amount i would put on a steak (2 seconds of aggressive grinding)
Garlic powder: the amount i would put on a steak(3-4 really good shakes)

Step 1: brown the burger, drain the fat. add to crock pot
step 2: cook sausage to a desired level, for Conecuh, i cut it into small 1/4" thick pieces, and cook it in a skillet over medium heat for 8 mins or so, then high for 2 minutes to crisp each side. drain fat, let cool, add to crock pot
Step 3: i cook all the vegetables over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly. add to crock pot
Step 4: dump in the diced tomatoes, kidney beans
step 5: add the seasonings
step 6: turn the crock pot on for 5 hours on low.

step 7: the MOST IMPORTANT PART eat with friends and family and tell them about the hunt, I usually invite someone who hasn't hunted over when I cook this because this is a recipe that is very crowd pleasing and its a great way to offer up the opportunity to hunt with new hunters

I live in Tennessee and I am lucky to have in-laws who are truly Cajun (her entire mom's family is from louisiana, great uncle was at one point the world resource for the blue crab) and I have taken some things from what they do for things like Gumbo and Jambalaya... here is what I do for my chili

Veggies:
1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, Minced

Canned:

Meat:
2/3 of a package of Cajun Conecuh Sausage (if you are not in the south, this is pretty tough to come by, but to me, its a critical element in this recipe, I havent tried substituting it for other sausage)

Seasonings:
Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning: i dont measure, but I add a liberal amount (roughly 1.5 tablespoons)
Black pepper: twice the amount i would put on a steak (~3 seconds of aggressive grinding)

step 2: cook sausage to a desired level, for Conecuh, i cut it into small 1/4" thick pieces, and cook it in a skillet over medium heat for 8 mins or so, then high for 2 minutes to crisp each side. drain fat, let cool, add to crock pot
Step 3: i cook all the vegetables over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly. add to crock pot

step 7: the MOST IMPORTANT PART eat with friends and family and tell them about the hunt, I usually invite someone who hasn't hunted over when I cook this because this is a recipe that is very crowd pleasing and its a great way to offer up the opportunity to hunt with new hunters
Could ya use andouille in it ? Sounds like a good recipe to try thanks

Veggies:
1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, Minced

Canned:

Meat:

Seasonings:

My stomach is rumbling

Conecuh sausage is amazing, love that stuff. Looks like a good recipe.
Good stuff. I have a deer hunting lease just north of Evergreen AL were they make it.
The local grocery store in Greenville has a large section dedicated to Conecuh sausage. Im like a kid in a candy store. We eat it for lunch at camp. I can get it at my local Publix Store in SWFL but only one type.

Try some cinnamon in that recipe. Just a 1/2 to full teaspoon. You will be pleasantly surprised.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back