Cable locks for lever rifles?

Ben Long

I was trying to put cable locks on some of my lever-action rifles today and couldn't figure out a way to thread the cable through the open action. Easy enough on bolt actions and my pump shotgun, but I'm perplexed by the lever gun. Any suggestions? I own a couple Marlin 336s and a Winchester 64.

My son is of the age where he might get into stuff. I don't have a safe or a lock on the closet where I keep them.

My Marlin 1894 Cowboy came with a cable that fed down the bore and out the action. You should be able to find one of those. I'll look around, if I have it and it;s key I will give it to you.

Hey Ben, I found it. Yours if you want it. PM me mailing instructions and it will come your way. Trying to add picture but something is not working right today.

here we go.

Ackk, keep getting a box that says, "the limit for this file is 800x0" and can't load my picture.
Benn loading pictures here for like ten years and never had a problem, Any ideas????

Last edited:
I have yet to figure out how to load a photo on this site. i'm not as tech savvy as Ben2. But his trick with the cable lock does work. Problem solved. Thanks all.

here we go.

Ackk, keep getting a box that says, "the limit for this file is 800x0" and can't load my picture.
Benn loading pictures here for like ten years and never had a problem, Any ideas????

That means your file size is too large. You will need to resize it so it fits within the parameters of the program.

Or you can use a photo upload site like Flickr, photobucket, etc and then link to the photo or use their BB imaging tag.

Glad it worked, Ben1.

Now think about a safe! :)

I'm going to have to buy a lever action just so I can use that cool trick ;)

I think they recently reduced the max size of the pictures that can be uploaded as I had to downsize the last one I put up (resized to "document small" in the Windows picture manager).

Ben2's trick for wrapping the cable lock around the lever worked great. Now... who can remind me where I hid the key?

Back