Cabela's Having Problems?

smarandr

Does anyone know if Cabela's is having suppier problems or worse? Seems like everything I've ordered in the last little bit is on back order. We just lost a Sportsman's Warehouse in my town about a year ago and I really would hate to see Cabela's go under too.

I haven't heard anything about Cabela's going under. All of my orders in the last few years the items were in stock and received within a week. I run day care expense at $25k plus per year through their visa card so the points really rack up. That's about the only positive of paying that much. :(

That reminds me.....my new leupold vx-3 should be here Monday!

I sat in on their last few years of earning conferences. New management has a big yank for inventory reduction. They are generating short-term cash flow by reducing inventory and not replacing at normal levels. It has helped their cash position in the short-term, but not sure if it helps them in the long-term.

Ordered some Magnus broadheads and they were backordered for three weeks. Picking them up in Billings on my way through, tomorrow. Had they not come in last week, I was going to cancel the order and ask them to refund my money. I am sure I am not the only person fed up with the backorder issues.

They have a healthy balance sheet, and are not going anywhere. Now, if they could just rid themselves of those "brick and mortar" shrines, they could be much more competitive on price.

Just curious, do they have you guys trained to only order when you get a $20 off email/coupon? I know I will get one about every two weeks, so I never order without one, and I will save up on items I want until I know I will exceed the $150, or whatever limit they require to get the $20 off. Seems that when you are refunding 7.5% +/- of the order price, that is not good for margins. But now that they have me trained, I will never buy from them without a discount coupon.

That reminds me, I still have a gift certificate to Cabelas from my wedding three years ago!

In honor of Miller and the other MT guys on this site I don't order anything other than Microtex from them anymore since the ranch deal. Tried to order pants last December and it was backordered then they just sent me a refund.

It didn't matter anyway, for some reason everytime my father ordered something they charged it to his card and burned up my points.?? Can't make that stuff up. Maybe they can tell I shredded the card.

Last edited:
In honor of the Miller and the other MT guys on this site I don't order anything other than Microtex from them anymore since the ranch deal. I even shredded the card.

Understandable. I know there are several here that don't order from them for one reason or another. Microtex is just about all I buy from them any more.

That said, when the RMBS's new website goes live tomorrow, you should be able to find a link to Cabelas there. If you go through that link to make your order, RMBS will receive a substantial percentage of your purchase.

So even if you only order Microtex, do it through our website and you'll be putting less in their pocket and you'll be supporting sheep management in Colorado. ;)

I've never been a big buyer of their stuff (or anybody's really), but after reading about their real estate practices, I won't spend money there at all.

I do like to go into the stores and check out the mounts though...

I sat in on their last few years of earning conferences. New management has a big yank for inventory reduction. They are generating short-term cash flow by reducing inventory and not replacing at normal levels. It has helped their cash position in the short-term, but not sure if it helps them in the long-term.

That is EXACTLY what's wrong with corporate America. Management plays numbers games to improve short term profits, that way everybody gets their profit bonus. Meanwhile, customers are RUNNING the other way.

I used to order what ever I wanted, when ever I wanted it. Then prices started going up, and service (order fill rates& ship times) went down. Now I don't even consider ordering unless I have a discount. I can always find a local dealer, or small, hungry on-line supplier who appreciates my business.

I agree with all the above posts. I very rarely buy anything from there unless I get a gift certificate or something.

Their pants are pretty sweet. This spring we walked into a local watering hole and there were some outfitter and guides sitting there. They called me over because they thought I was a guide too hahahaha. We all had cabelas microtex pants on and kenetrek boots. but they one up'd me and had the shirts too.

For the last 6 months or so I've been trying to buy locally. Its tough to find exactly what you want but you usually can. And the price is higher but the way I look at it is they call me for work the least I can do is support them. I try to stay away from the big name stores like Walmart, Sportsmans etc....

buy local and hire local. :D

Last edited:
I have to agree with all of you. The prices are not "discount" and if not for the fact we don't have a local sporting good shop with a decent selection, I wouldn't shop online as much as I do. I can't remember the last time I ordered multiple items and had them all ship together. Hopefully they have some slick IT person who tracks blogs such as this and they will take note of the frustrations.

I've tried to order two items from them this year, both of which were backordered. The first was a riflescope that I'll buy elsewhere and the second was a bowcase that I did recieve eventually. Funny thing was it didn't ship from cabela's but direct from the maker. Thanks to Fin, now I know why.

i ordered some reloading components about 4 months ago and just got an email on thursday saying they finally came in and i CAN come pick up. I have started buying almost everything from ebay you can save like 30 to 50% on most things that way and have alsways had good experiences

I enjoy going to cabelas just for the see it and touch it factor but their prices are way out of line in my opinion. I can usually buy the same thing at my local shop for the same price or even a little cheaper. I did have to laugh at the "brick and mortar shrines" because everything in the store is about 10% higher than what you can buy online for, but if you order online and choose the in-store pickup you get the free delivery and online price.

Wait a minute didn't CABELLA'S (shortly after building their BIllings Store) lease a TON of public accessable land out west, and sportsmen were supposed to 'BOYCOTT IT FOREVER'; or did I miss the bulletin that said its 'OKAY to shop there now..?!'

Moe

Just curious, do they have you guys trained to only order when you get a $20 off email/coupon? I know I will get one about every two weeks, so I never order without one, and I will save up on items I want until I know I will exceed the $150, or whatever limit they require to get the $20 off. Seems that when you are refunding 7.5% +/- of the order price, that is not good for margins. But now that they have me trained, I will never buy from them without a discount coupon.

I occasionally do the coupon, but I've got their card and use more points than anything else.

Back