Cabela's Bow Selection

Zach

Just wondering if the Archery Experts think that Cabela's carries a bow that's is worthy of using for hunting.

I've got a lot of bucks saved up and was looking at a new bow. I've got an old(90's) PSE with some newer gadgets on it, but never hunted with it. Just target practice and this thing is loud.

Thanks in advance!

Most bow's will do the job, its the shooters that go's with it. Most people don't practice enough! My thought's.

Most bow's will do the job, its the shooters that go's with it. Most people don't practice enough! My thought's.

Thanks highmountain. I've got a 10yd range set up in my basement, planning on a lifesize in the back yard and shooting from an elevated position on my deck.

Of course they do. They have PSE and Diamond, both good bows. Go shoot them and see if they work for you. Any bow that shoots 300+ fps will do just fine. Now if you want to spend twice as much money and get something a bit more extravagant you can go to local shops and shoot the Hoyts, Mathews and the more expensive PSE's.

Good luck Zach, it sounds like you are on the right path.. I don't have the top of the line stuff n it still sends the arrows through most of them!

300FPS ? Ithink mine goes 220FPS... but I could be wrong. It kills things just fine.

I use a PSE as well. Haven't dusted it off in a few years but have put the hurt to bear deer and a moose.

I shot a old bear magnum for 10 years, from 1980 to 90, it shot a 590 grain arrow at 193 fps. State of the art at the time. 30% let off. Killed a lot of animals with that set up.

If you are comfortable doing your own bow maintenance, changing strings, tuning, cam timing and putting in peeps then go for it. If that isn't your cup of tea then find a pro shop. I don't think the big box outdoor stores are as committed to service as many smaller independant operations.

But as to bow quality, I think you would be hard pressed to find a bow that wouldn't send an arrow through an animal at moderate ranges, anywhere today.

Recently got my first bow back that I got when I was 13. It was a Bear Black Bear model. The only thing I ever shot with it was about a 200 lb hog. Was gonna take it out next year and see if I could get a deer with it then the tear drop came off the cable while practicing not too long ago. All the shops around here said it can't be fixed. Anyone know any different?

I bought this earlier... from this site. Great service and immediate shipping...
http://www.americanarcherysupply.com/frbesfupa.html
NEW HOT BOW FOR 2010 !! RIGHT HAND !! NEW 2010 MODEL IN FACTORY BOX. NOW AVAILABLE, THE FRED BEAR "STRIKE" PERIMETER WEIGHTED SINGLE CAM., FLARE QUAD PARALLEL SPLIT LIMB DESIGN !! SUPER FAST, SUPER QUIET, NEW REALTREE APG HD CAMO. ONE PIECE GRIP, , DUEL STRING DAMPENING SYSTEM, 30" AXLE TO AXLE, 80% LET OFF, 3.9 LBS., 7.75" BRACE HEIGHT, RATED AT 310 FPS, AVAILABLE 26" TO 30" DRAW LENGTH, 55-70LB. DRAW WEIGHT AVAILABLE. (WE WILL SET DRAW LENGTH AND DRAW WEIGHT PRIOR TO SHIPPING) OUR PACKAGE INCLUDES A WHISKER BISCUIT DROP TINE CAMO "QUICK SHOT" ARROW REST, A TRU GLO "BRITE SITE" 4-PIN LIGHTED FIBER OPTIC SIGHT (LIGHT KIT INCLUDED), PEEP AND STRING LOOP, A 6" "SHOCKTHERAPY" STABILIZER, AND A ONE PIECE QUICK DETACH QUIVER , OVER $200.00 IN RETAIL ACCESSORIES !! WE SHIP SAME DAY !! FULL FACTORY FRED BEAR WARRANTY !! WE ACCEPT PAY PAL AND ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS, WE PAY ALL SHIPPING INSURANCE !! $16.00 SHIPS TO ANYWHERE IN THE CONT. USA. $35.00 SHIPS TO CANADA. CALL RUSSELL, JOEY, DAVID OR ALLEN AT 1-800-375-1919 FOR ANY HELP. GOOD LUCK !! ALL WINNING BUYERS RECEIVE PROMPT SERVICE BY INFORMING US AS TO DESIRED DRAW WEIGHT AND LENGTH

I swapped a couple items that I prefered - this sells for much more as a ready to shoot deal.

Shoots 310 fps and has been great. Less an elk.... Though that is the shooters fault... haha!
Here are the specs from Fred Bear...
strike.jpg

Are there better? Sure... for the price, fps and the silent release - beats throwing a rock. haha!

Here it is - sold by Cabelas... if that is your flavor for sellers.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...unting-archery-bows-compound-bows/_/N-1100005

Buy from a local pro shop. THe help and service you get is well worth it. Not to mention they generally sell better quality bows. They will be able to fit you and get the bow set up properly with correctly spined arrows. And as a bowhunting community, we need to keep them in business.

If you have no other choice and must buy from a big box, the Bear Attack (or this year's Carnage) is one heck of a bow. It will compete with, or actually beat, the big boys.

+1 on buying from a local shop. Best way to ensure good follow-up service. That said I get great service from a sportsmans warehouse in Grand Junction. I attribute that to the guys that work at the archery counter there. Very dedicated and I see them at our local club so they BETTER do a good job:rolleyes:

I'm sure Cabela's has a fine selection of bows, but I'd agree with the rest - go to a local sport shop and try a few out - ask them your questions, pick one out, and have them set it up and help you tune it.

There are a lot of good bows out there and if you haven't shot any new ones lately, your 90's model is going to seem like an antique...

Good Luck.

just try not to get hung up on speed. that drives me nuts! smooth, quiet, and accurate beat out speed everytime. try not to go with anything less that a 7 in brace heighth. the taller the brace height, the more forgiving the bow. i personally have bear, golden eagle, mathews, hoyt, oneida, ect... and they all are good bows. there are just some i shoot better than others. i recommend going to all the diff dealers and spending some time shooting them all and pick out your bow by process of elimination. dont just go to a shop and shoot it a couple times. spend some time with each bow and jot down notes. does the bow kick, loud, hard to hold steady, ect.... best of luck to you

Buy from a local pro shop. THe help and service you get is well worth it. Not to mention they generally sell better quality bows. They will be able to fit you and get the bow set up properly with correctly spined arrows. And as a bowhunting community, we need to keep them in business.

For sure. I am good at creating problems with my archery set up. The local pro shop is good at solving the problems I create.

Good luck in your search.

I'm leary about buying at the big box stores. Alot of times their archery 'experts' have no clue about what they're doing or talking about. They learn enough words to sound functional to the average person off the street, but when it comes right down to it, they are clueless. Archerytalk.com has an awesome classified section that you can get fairly new bows for really good prices. I totally agree with the local pro shop approach. My local shop did alot of work on my old Hoyt and never bad talked it or anything like that, eventhough they are a Mathews dealer. They never pushed a new bow on me and did whatever I asked on my old Hoyt for a couple of years. When it came time for a new bow, they got my business.

make sure whatever bow you choose, is set up for YOU before shooting it. have the draw set up for you. have the weight set up for you. nothing worse than shooting something not set up for your own personnal draw and weight. ignore speed of the bow. fast is less forgiving, and as has been said, they die just as well with lower speeds. parker has a pretty decent set up for around $450.00. wildfire extreme.

TBH, as much as I would like to support small "local" archery stores... I find they charge a hell of a lot more than say, Sportsman Warehouse... or stores that have expanded their market to the nation via internet thus able to reduce their overhead prices to a reasonable / competitive value.

Prior to purchasing my bow - I initally shopped "local" stores though - they wanted $100-150 MORE than what I could find elsewhere.

IMO, for the large valued items - I can find a drastically discounted price shopping internet... Typically those stores I do shop are small shops - that have adapted to current market sales via internet - thus able to sell items at competitive prices due to expanding their clientele...

I'll purchase smaller items via "local" stores, I'll pay for their time to "personalize" my bow... I come out ahead in the end and support the "local" aspect where the price point does not feel like I am bending over.

I do plan on going to a local shop after the purchase, but if Cabelas has good bows, why not get a $500 bow for free????

Basically I'm looking at the purchase of the bow itself from there. If they don't have anything worth while, I wouldn't burn my cabela's bucks.

Back