Cabela's Bow Selection

I bought my PSE Brute at Cabelas awhile back, in Montana. It's not a bad bow, but I wish I would have waited and gone to the pro shop first as I was a newbie to it all when I started. I had a couple problems right off the bat and the cabelas people weren't much help with. Meanwhile the local pro shop had no issues and let me test everything out on their range for free.
Service in my mind was way better regardless of prices. Not telling you what way to go, just sharing my experience. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I do plan on going to a local shop after the purchase, but if Cabelas has good bows, why not get a $500 bow for free????

Basically I'm looking at the purchase of the bow itself from there. If they don't have anything worth while, I wouldn't burn my cabela's bucks.
The points you have makes it tought to go buy a bow when you can get one for nothing.But if it was me I would use the points to get a good rest,quiver,sight,and arrows (as long as you do a little reasearch and get the right ones.Then you could go to a proshop and spend $500.00 on a mission or hoyt hawk modle bow and you would have a good setup.If you really need to get the bow at cabels They have some decent modles for that price just shoot a few and see what you like.

If I were you I would look at used bows. Bows with a 2007 or 2008 vintage can be had for half or more of what they went for new. Most Bow Shops have a used section if you want to buy hands on. Ebay has tons if good used bows if you know what you want. Last year I bought a 2008 Bowtech Tomkat for a hair over $200 off Ebay. Use the money you saved on quality Rest, Site and other accessories. As John said most pro shops have no problem working on your older bow(regardless of brand) to get it tuned right if you need help. Also note that tuning a bow is not rocket science and you can learn the tricks and methods from the internet easily and only have to buy a few special tools.

A couple very good older bows you should look at are Mathews Switchback and Bowtech Allegiance.

look into the classified on archery talk...there are some amazing catches on there... There's a guy that sells new Hoyt Turbo Hawks (which are a damned good bow) for 375 to your door. His name on AT is Scottie and he'll set the bow to your draw length and weight

You can get a Diamond Iceman for $600 at cabelas...pretty darn good deal and just as fast as some of those $1000 bows ;)

Last edited:
I upgraded from a 90's High Country last year to a Bowtech and was amazed at how far the technology has come in 20 years. I like the local pro shop as the personal service is really nice. Plus you are helping a local business owner who is most likely a hunter instead of some corporate executives bonus check.

Well, I finally dropped the dime on bow from Cabelas. I went with a Bear Strike. I'm comfortable with my decision and can't wait for it to get here. It should be quite a step up from my PSE circa '96.

Once it's here I'll head to the local shop and have it fine tuned and accessorized.

It was nice only having to pay tax & shipping to get it.

Now it's going to be time to practice,practice,practice!!

Well, I finally dropped the dime on bow from Cabelas.
Once it's here I'll head to the local shop and have it fine tuned and accessorized.

It was nice only having to pay tax & shipping to get it.

Too bad you were not able to buy direct from a local bow shop. Selling bows is what keeps them in business and top-notch technical assistance readily available when you need it.

Do not be surprised if they hit you with healthy (and reasonable) a service fee, especially if you want them to install any add-ons you did not buy from them. No bow shop enjoys seeing the big box and mail order stores soak up all the real profit and get stuck with the nickels and dimes.

I upgraded to a new Hoyt this year to replace a 2000 model. what a difference! You are about to discover the same thing. Enjoy the new rig.

Will always recommend your local shop. Especially if you get a lot well with the owner. Nothing beats the service and usually the selection not to mention the same guy will always be helping you with any and all of your archery needs for that bow.

Speed is nice but terribly overrated, imo. I went local and paid a few bucks more for my Diamond Marquis, but the owner has bent over backwards to make sure things worked for me. Good luck on your Bear. Should be a good setup.

Too bad you were not able to buy direct from a local bow shop. Selling bows is what keeps them in business and top-notch technical assistance readily available when you need it.

Do not be surprised if they hit you with healthy (and reasonable) a service fee, especially if you want them to install any add-ons you did not buy from them. No bow shop enjoys seeing the big box and mail order stores soak up all the real profit and get stuck with the nickels and dimes.

I upgraded to a new Hoyt this year to replace a 2000 model. what a difference! You are about to discover the same thing. Enjoy the new rig.

Are you saying that you'd expect for a shop to gouge me(or anyone) for not buying a bow there? I'd hope not, that isn't a good way to get a repeat customer. Who knows, maybe if I like the shop and get totally addicted I'll be there every year or 2 buying a new bow.

The bow shop I used in San Diego before I left, the owner couldn't have been nicer. I was given and old bow. I took it into the shop for an honest opinion(on reference from a friend) and got just that. I wasn't over or undersold. Just plain and simple told what I should do(and did). I never got involved enough in the sport before moving away to upgrade, but now I'm ready.

Most pro-shops I know will set up your bow, tune it, and do minor adjustments for free......providing you bought your bow at their respective shop. I believe that's what Khunter was referring to.

Good luck with your new purchase.......and have fun.

I got my new bow today. Gonna go this weekend and get everything set and some new arrows.

I'll report on my bowshop experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back