Ca “poaching” case

This is the tip of an iceberg. It happens in CA more than you know. I reported a group of Marines who happened to have live ammo on a training exercise (illegal) and shot a doe and left it and some later went and retrieved the meat which was bad by then due to the heat. I reported a couple that were hunting on base at Camp Pendleton after I saw them shoot deer before legal shooting light while it was still dark. Poaching is a major problem in all states.

I myself have never been perfect on obeying the game laws explicitly, but I try to follow the intent of the law the best I can. I had been known in my younger days to have more fish in the freezer than was allowed but when it came to rest of the laws, I obeyed them. Poaching though along with hunter trespass is one of the more serious violations that can ruin hunting for everyone else.

This is the tip of an iceberg. It happens in CA more than you know. I reported a group of Marines who happened to have live ammo on a training exercise (illegal) and shot a doe and left it and some later went and retrieved the meat which was bad by then due to the heat. I reported a couple that were hunting on base at Camp Pendleton after I saw them shoot deer before legal shooting light while it was still dark. Poaching is a major problem in all states.

I myself have never been perfect on obeying the game laws explicitly, but I try to follow the intent of the law the best I can. I had been known in my younger days to have more fish in the freezer than was allowed but when it came to rest of the laws, I obeyed them. Poaching though along with hunter trespass is one of the more serious violations that can ruin hunting for everyone else.

I lived there most of my life, I am aware there are some serious poachers out there and a lot more that like to play the grey areas. But I’m also aware of a 180” San Diego county buck that was confiscated after one of these “investigations” and later returned after a year of court battles. I am also aware of a couple guys who hunted waterfowl all season got together with their buddies and took it all to a processor to turn in to snack sticks and were treated like they were running cocaine and rocket launchers on the black market over possession limit violations. So IMO some CDFW wardens can be a little over the top sometimes.

Last edited:
I lived there most of my life, I am aware there are some serious poachers out there and a lot more that like to play the grey areas. But I’m also aware of a 180” buck San Diego county buck that was confiscated after one of these “investigations” and later returned after a year of court battles. I am also aware of a couple guys who hunted waterfowl all season got together with their buddies and took it all to a processor to turn in to snack sticks and were treated like they were running cocaine and rocket launchers on the black market. So IMO some CDFW wardens can be a little over the top sometimes.
Just any law enforcement entity, there are bad cops. Most wardens I have met though were highly professional and actually helpful to my hunts. One in Lincoln County, Colorado even led me to a wounded buck which I took just to end the suffering. Nice buck too. Not B&C but around 14".

All that article did was piss me off and not at the folks cited for baiting. Since they plead no contest, I'm assuming they probably were guilty of something - or perhaps decided more attorney fees, time, etc may have been more valuable and to cut their losses. California is a messed up state, and that article proves it.

Not long ago, I was quizzed by wardens after a "big fish" - nothing came of it, other than some slander, big attorney fees, stressed caused to many people and a ton of time spent by the state trying to ruin somebody to make a name for themselves on a case based around something about as serious as the citation mentioned in that article about not having your tag on the animals antler for the photo, before dressing it.

These two are scum and I’m sure they’re are plenty more around the country. Social media will get you every time.
about 15 years ago I was bear hunting alone in NC Pa it was Tuesday morning beautiful sunny day with about 6 inches of fresh snow from previous night I still hunted upon the largest buck I’ve ever seen alive to this day. I could have killed him easily even had the safety off ready to fire . To me it boils down to how you’ve raised and who you are as a man or woman. I couldn’t have lived with myself. It still was a great day in more ways than one. If anybody got that buck they got a serious trophy

You missed the entire point of this thread, because you didn't even read the article. Based on your earlier turkey topic post, I'd suggest a mob of wardens use drones, GPS trackers on your vehicles, and wire taps to make sure you don't accidentally start hunting turkeys too early, or too near a half eaten apple.

I turned down many shots on great bucks because they were right on the property line or it was past legal shooting light. I turned down skyline shots because I worried that the bullet might hit something on the other side. I turned down shots because livestock or ranchers were too close and I didn't want to bother them. I also picked up a lot of litter that other hunters threw on the ground. I refused shots because I was not sure I could make a kill shot. Most of my kills on game is one or two shots at the most. That might change if I ever get a chance on a moose or buffalo because they are big and bulky. In the long run, we need better hunter ethics all around.

These two are scum and I’m sure they’re are plenty more around the country. Social media will get you every time.
about 15 years ago I was bear hunting alone in NC Pa it was Tuesday morning beautiful sunny day with about 6 inches of fresh snow from previous night I still hunted upon the largest buck I’ve ever seen alive to this day. I could have killed him easily even had the safety off ready to fire . To me it boils down to how you’ve raised and who you are as a man or woman. I couldn’t have lived with myself. It still was a great day in more ways than one. If anybody got that buck they got a serious trophy
Interesting take personally seems the wardens are bigger scum.
One of them has posted his version on bowsite and it has the wring of truth to me. The only charge that stuck (because he decided to not fight it) was hunting over bait. In his version he set bait over a trail cam before season came back during season to pull card and because he had a gun while checking camera they called it hunting over bait. I should add he stated he won't go in the area unarmed due to seeing bears, lions, and illegal pot growers in the area. They had to return all his weapons and trophies. All that taxpayer money spent on a miscarriage of justice. But what else would one expect from California game and fish they are a bigger threat to wildlife than any poaching ring.

Ran into a CA Game Warden while hunting deer 300 miles from home. We were in the truck and I had the rifle in the back seat unloaded with the action open. I had the clip within easy reach just in case we spotted something I could retrieve the rifle load and go. The warden was coming the other direction and we pulled to the side of the road and stopped so he could get by us. Instead he stopped and quickly jumped out of his truck and was at my window in milliseconds. "You have tags for this area" (it was a controlled hunt) "Yep, want to see em?" "I do". "Where's your gun?" "In the back seat, want to see it?" "Yes I do!" he opened the back door, picked it up and said "It's unloaded". I replied with I thought that's how you would like to find it.

When he got around to looking at my license and tag he asked if I knew so-n-so. "I sure do that is my neighbor". Turns out the guys parents live around the corner from me and he went to high school with my neighbor. All in all the best interaction with a GW I have ever experienced though he started off as a dick. Can't fault the guy as I am sure that he has to deal with some unruly characters in his line of work.

It’s a messy read. I’m pretty surprised they were able to get multiple warrants with what seems like pretty shaky PC. The violations that did stick are ones that seem like you could figure out with some good field work and without all the other actions

Messy, very messy, but without the whole story and an article loaded with quotes from the defense I will withhold most judgement. Game law investigations are tough to sort out and often take years to develop. I doubt this article would exist if it was the LAPD utilizing agency and county resources to investigate a drug ring. While these guys seem guilty as sin, if you can't prove it in a courtroom beyond a reasonable doubt then you take the loss on the chin and they live to hunt another day. Seems like the wardens wanted to make something stick after all the trouble they went through and couldn't get the key evidence they were looking for.

Buddy’s son is a CA warden, biggest poaching rings there (according to him) are illegal abalone diving and marketing. Major dollars evidently.
Along with poaching bears for parts for Chinese medicine. Gallbladders and paws will fetch a couple g’s. Seems like those are the folks that would maybe warrant the CSI’s and and Not bubba with his apple orchard buck.

All that article did was piss me off and not at the folks cited for baiting. Since they plead no contest, I'm assuming they probably were guilty of something - or perhaps decided more attorney fees, time, etc may have been more valuable and to cut their losses. California is a messed up state, and that article proves it.

Not long ago, I was quizzed by wardens after a "big fish" - nothing came of it, other than some slander, big attorney fees, stressed caused to many people and a ton of time spent by the state trying to ruin somebody to make a name for themselves on a case based around something about as serious as the citation mentioned in that article about not having your tag on the animals antler for the photo, before dressing it.
I wonder the percentages of us have taken pictures before tagging. Somewhere around 90% be my guess. About as big of violation as taking a pic with your hunter orange off imo.🙄

Last edited:
I wonder the percentages of us have taken pictures before tagging. I'm guessing somewhere around 90% be my guess. About a big of violation as taking a pic with your hunter orange off imo.🙄
It's funny, it seems like no tag or orange on pictures is a capital sin in California, meanwhile, it's totally legal here...

But it doesn't stop the FB tough guys from commenting on the lack of tags and orange on pictures! Congrats, you got me camo Nancy Drew!!!

It's funny, it seems like no tag or orange on pictures is a capital sin in California, meanwhile, it's totally legal here...

But it doesn't stop the FB tough guys from commenting on the lack of tags and orange on pictures! Congrats, you got me camo Nancy Drew!!!

There is no Orange requirement in CA. But in general I would agree with your point. I know quite a few guys who are very by the book who have been cited for very technical violations. Imagine you are hunting a refuge where you have to hunt within 150 yards of the assigned blind. Your truck is parked in a dirt parking lot off a dirt road 400 yards away, you leave the blind to go grab a sandwich from the truck almost to the truck you remember your shotgun is still loaded and wanting to be safe you unload it. Your met at the parking lot by a game warden who has been watching you thru his spotter from 3/4 mile away who ranges where you unloaded to the blind and cites you for having a loaded gun in the parking lot and hunting outside the blind. Yes that really happened and my friend won the case in court after the GW lied under oath.

I killed a few deer in CA and know some guys who killed some big deer nearly every year. To my knowledge they were just good committed hunters who found the “spots” and tactics. I know a guy who has 20 acres nested between a big expanse of land in wine country. Game trails all over his property, guy shoots a big black tail buck and quite a few turkey and pig off that land every year. By this standard he better pick his garden and fruit trees clean the right number of days before or check out his window for the black helicopters next time he wants to take his kids out to shoot a Tom in the yard.

I can say without a doubt many guys who are reporting locations are vague or misleading intentionally and right or wrong, that’s because they are worried their “spot” is going to get burned by folks who might find access to that information rather than they were doing something else illegal.

I think they were refering to an orange colored tag. Although it changes color from year to year.

Although the guys were guilty of baiting, I'm angered at the premise of the whole investigation being no tag in the hero pics. I always take pics without a tag on it. I fill out the tag first, take pics, and then attach it.
The CA DFG even used my pic without a tag attached in their TRACKS publication in 2007 ( elk in upper left corner)
20210408_082749.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back