Yeti GOBOX Collection

BW, Tell me about the Anchor-Buddy

Ovis

BW

I saw on one of your posts you mentioned the use of an Anchor Buddy I was wondering if you could tell me your thoughts on it, where you got it from and how much it set you back.

Thanks!

[ 04-18-2004, 20:06: Message edited by: Ovis ]

Ovis,

I need to pull that thing out and measure it, both 'relaxed' and stretched out. Because whenever I tell somebody about it, I'm always guessing the exact length.
I'm guessing it's 15-20ft long and stretches nearly twice that length.

Anyhow, they have a website...

AnchorBuddy

...but it sucks.

Here's how I use it...

The anchor buddy (yellow line) is tied off to an aft cleat with about 10ft of chain and a small 5lb dansforth anchor...
f9174a08.jpg

...and sets in the boat till I'm ready. Then I pull up to the shore like normal and tie off a line above the hightide mark and run it back to the bow of the boat...

f914def8.jpg

f97b1c34.jpg

Always use floating line (polypro plastic stuff) for tying off to shore. Normal line will sink and could get stuck on rocks and stuff under the water. (I know from personal experience!)

Then simply back off the shore till you hit the right spot depthwise, and throw the Anchor Buddy anchor over board and aft. Pull yourself back in with the line going to shore, step off, and if it worked right the Anchor Buddy will pull your boat back into safe water slicker-than-snot!

Here's a picture of the Anchor Buddy being used off a front cleat to hold the boat on the beach. I didn't feel like messing around with my normal 200ft of polypro line, and just threw the Anchor Buddy out there with it's anchor and line.

f90c075a.jpg

I ordered my through Overtons. But I later found one in the local marine supply store. I like the yellow color as it's easy to see if I decide to motor to shore instead of pull myself in, helps me keep it out of the prop.

Some bays have huge tidal flats. Where the lowtide line may be several hundred yards out from the hightide line. The Anchor Buddy won't work in those places, as it's just not long enough. But by carefully watching the tides, and the clock, you could set it up so the boat is floating (rather than high and dry) at the correct times.

I really like the thing. My friends are just starting to catch on too. It beat the old method of 'indian anchoring' by a looong shot.

Thanks for the reply BW, it was very helpful. The pics were a bonus. I hope to have some dickie bird blue skies like in the last pic while there, although I'll take the former too.

What is the disadvantage of setting it up the way the website suggests? I notice you almost rig it the exact opposite way.

I rig it their way, with the anchor buddy tied off to an aft cleat. It's the yellow line coming off the back of the boat in the top picture, and can be seen in the second picture.

They show the Anchor Buddy being deployed prior to reaching the shore, but that handy looking stump is not always available.
I prefer to take my time onshore, getting the line tied properly, and off loading all my stuff, without having the Anchor Buddy trying to pull my boat out into the water. ;) My technique also avoids running the engine near the stretched line, and possibly getting the line in the prop.

Good luck, the bears are out!

They show the Anchor Buddy being deployed prior to reaching the shore, but that handy looking stump is not always available. I prefer to take my time onshore, getting the line tied properly, and off loading all my stuff, without having the Anchor Buddy trying to pull my boat out into the water. My technique also avoids running the engine near the stretched line, and possibly getting the line in the prop.

That was what I was refering to...makes sense.

Any crabbing, shrimping or salmon fishing pointers? Do you fish saltwater Chinooks w/ herring? Do you have a preferred rig?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back