Buying powder from the same lot

huntin24/7

I’m just curious how important it is for most guys to get powder from the same lot. It’s so hard to get many powders now and a lot of places only allow 1 can per person which really messes up getting it from the same lot.

Depends on goals. If it is to hit a deer at 250y I wouldn’t worry. If it is to make tiny holes in paper at the range or to hunt out to 600y I would at least confirm the velocity with new batch is close and maybe tweak if necessary. Also if loaded over book max I would be a little cautious about “tolerance stacking” and might shoot a couple from new bottle at .5gn less than the hot load.

I do what I can to have enough powder of the same lot on hand to either 1) burn out the barrel or 2) use up the supply of components (namely primers and cases)

That does mean having a pile of powder on hand but that's ok it lasts a long time if stored properly.

Lot-to-Lot consistency seems to be more consistent though out today's powder offerings. With that, I always mirror Vikings thoughts and always reduce a .5gr when using a new "LOT". Three rounds shot through the chronograph will provide the info.

Yeah, I would never just load a pile of shells with a new lot without at least comparing a few to double check. I’m basically working on a load for making a 500 elk/deer rifle. 2 straight group have been between 1/2-5/8” at 100 yards, so I think I’ve found the right recipe. Just need to sight in and start testing it at different ranges.

Run you small group at 100 through a 10 shot string through a chrono.
I've seen great groups at 100 that looked like shotgun paterns at 600.
The Extreme Spread (ES), and Standard Deviation (SD) were high.
When stretching out the range your looking for low teens ES, and single digit SD.
Then it's JUST the wind call.. Lol

Unless you are into competitive shooting, I would not worry too much. I have reloaded a ton of bullets over the years and never noticed any significant difference and sometimes I mixed powder from one container with another.
I usually mix my powders too (same powder of course) when I'm running low and buy a new container. I figure maybe it will dumb down any lot to lot variance if any.

I buy one pounders for load development and 8 lbs once I find the load I like.

Havent seen drastic differences from lot to lot with the exception of one lot of RL22 in the early 2000's...bad enough there was a recall.

there have been more than one powder recall. One of the most infamous was a super hot batch of RL 22 out. I had to drop a whole 5 grains in a 6.506 AI to keep from blowing sears and triggers. Either buy enough of same lot or drop 10% and retune.

Long range I’ve noticed it slightly when loading for a small es. Most hunting applications different lots will not affect your loads enough to notice.

Once I found the powder that worked, I picked up an eight pounder. periodically I buy one pounders and keep it full, mixing it as I use it. My theory is to keep the lot to lot at a minimal change.

From a competition side, I would buy enough powder primers and bullets to last the life of my barrel (2K rounds). With several different powders I’ve seen hot/cold lots. Some as much as an increase or decrease of 2.0+ grains. More than enough to throw you out of a node

Your issue with different powder lots will be velocity. If you use a powder from a different lot then check the velocity of the new lot and make adjustments if needed.

So, here is what I do......When I get my load development completed I will go out and buy the needed amount of bullets, brass, powder, primers for the lifetime of the barrel. Then I have all the supplies needed to shoot that barrel for the life of the barrel. Takes a bit of investment of money and time but I don't have to chase down components in the future.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back