Buying my child points

freu1chr

I am looking to buy my son points but he is only 2 years old. Am i able to start buying points for him in any states or will i not be able to buy points for him? Just wondering if this is possible or not?

Haha another one of these threads. You might want to search the archives on here and other sites like MM on this topic. Any system you invest in now can and likely will morph into something quite different ten years from now. I had three sons. Bought points in Wyoming for them back when they were dirt cheap. Dumped them all when prices jacked. My sons are now 35, 29 & 28 and they hunted a total of 3 or 4 days combined in their lives, despite my high hopes. They were just not interested. My grandsons do like to visit and check out my mounts. It would be cool if one of them wanted me to teach them some day, but I'm certainly not buying them any points anywhere LOL! You are guaranteed nothing, so beware what you invest.

Last edited:
Utah has a round-about-way of buying points for underage youth, called the mentor program. Basically, a person can "mentor" their tag to a youth. Plenty of folks who have never applied before are starting to acquire lots of points in the hope of mentoring the tag to a youth. There are certain stipulations to this program, but here is some reading material for you:

Haha another one of these threads. You might want to search the archives on here and other sites like MM on this topic. Any system you invest in now can and likely will morph into something quite different ten years from now. I had three sons. Bought points in Wyoming for them back when they were dirt cheap. Dumped them all when prices jacked. My sons are now 35, 29 & 28 and they hunted a total of 3 or 4 days combined in their lives, despite my high hopes. They were just not interested. My grandsons do like to visit and check out my mounts. You are guaranteed nothing, so beware what you invest.

This is my shocked face.jpg

Grbanana, Curious why you continually attack me, and specific other Hunt Talkers, when so many agree with us?

Why not attack all of them while you're at it?

My experience in this matter is true. And if the OP searches the archives he'll find plenty of others who have had my exact same experience.

Why not provide seekers with some constructive comments rather than your persistent whining & sarcasm?

Do something constructive for others on this website for once.

Why not lay out a financial plan for how the OP can make a good sensible investment in this day and age of $150 nonrefundable fees just to get in the game.........for a 2 year old? Please, share your wisdom with all of us.

Attachments

• 00small34807134.jpg
    00small34807134.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
You can in Montana
I’ve looked into this and can’t determine how I would do so. I have a soon to be 2 year old and would like to start buying points for her. Can you share how it’s done since they’re not in the FWP system yet and don’t have an ID or anything issued?

MThunter - It will walk you through process on the FWP website and you are linked to the license with your id. My 4 year olds both have MT elk points.

I have a good friend that bought his first born son a “lifetime license” in Cali.... fast forward 26 years and the kid (though a great young man and one who accompanied his pops and myself on a multitude of hunting and fishing trips in his youth) has absolutely NO interest in the outdoors and is instead tech guru. Life can be a dice roll at times....

MThunter - It will walk you through process on the FWP website and you are linked to the license with your id. My 4 year olds both have MT elk points.
How did you get them ALS numbers? What I’ve seen you either need a DL or a MT ID card. Is there a link you could PM me or anything? Thanks!

As for other kids who have taken Hunter safety, it is a good way to invest in a quality first time experience. While all my daughters have taken and passed HS, non of them particularly want to hunt big game. Meanwhile my nephew recently killed his first buck and seems to be committed to hunting. I asked his parents if I could buy him some WY points for his birthday present. This accomplishes a few things. 1) It's not some useless gadget he will outgrow. 2) it teaches the principle of looking ahead and setting goals and 3) it makes me be focused on the future for when he will have the time to do a hunt and I will apply with him. 3b) I'm developing the next generation of hunting partners who will take over much of the logistics when I am older and less capable.

I’m guessing for some people that’s exactly what’s going on, but it’s not the adult’s points getting split. Really probably not any more $ than the difference between Gen/Special tags in many instances, I suppose.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back