Buying an ATV

802flyfish

In the market for a basic 4x4 ATV. My primarily use will mostly be hunting and exploring spots around SW MT. I’ve been looking at the Honda Foreman & Rancher as of now. Curious as to what other members are using?

Thanks,

Honda Rancher 420.... 2009 Model. I use mine to work and pull deer out of the woods. I don't hot rod it, I don't mud it if I can help it. I don't do water crossings. I just want a reliable ATV to work around the camp. I think a Honda is what to get for that purpose.

I bought a 2015 Honda Foreman Rubicon 500 a few months ago for pulling deer out of my river bottom. I also use it for general work duties around my cabin and have been very satisfied.

I bought a 2015 Honda Foreman Rubicon 500 a few months ago for pulling deer out of my river bottom. I also use it for general work duties around my cabin and have been very satisfied.
I have the same thing but older. Winch my deer out of the ravine I hunt and push snow like crazy! Like it a lot.

Hey just to give you a shout. I am a member of Sportsmen for Fish & Wildlife here in Montana. This group does a lot of good for sporstmen & women across our state and they fight for us trying to improve sportsman access and other issues. They have purchased an ATV side by side and are selling raffle tickets that are $10.00 each. If you purchase 10 for $100.00 that purchase includes your membership for the year which is $35.00. The Montana SFW will only sell 2000 tickets and then the ATV will be raffled off. No it might not be this year, depending on the number of tickets they sell. It's a good group of guys and gals, and children also can be members. I think my ticket last year was only two off from the winning ticket. No not a sure thing, but what the heck have a chance at an ATV and be a member of a good group. I've been a member for a few years now.

David

I dont own a ATV anymore I've got a side by side Polaris ranger because it was a great deal through a friend. Dont get me wrong I like it but I'd a gree with @Muskeez on the reliability Honda cant be beat. If I were to buy an ATV it would be a Honda.

I’m running an 04 Rancher, never had any issues except with the stupid electric shift (never again) and rebuilt the carb this year. I would love to replace it with some of those new features, but can’t justify it. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Honda

I’m running an 04 Rancher, never had any issues except with the stupid electric shift (never again) and rebuilt the carb this year. I would love to replace it with some of those new features, but can’t justify it. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Honda
Agreed on the electric shifter, the manual style are actually harder to find ime.

In the market for a basic 4x4 ATV. My primarily use will mostly be hunting and exploring spots around SW MT. I’ve been looking at the Honda Foreman & Rancher as of now. Curious as to what other members are using?

Thanks,

Can’t get better than that for what you’re planning to do.

if you want to look at another quality bike with a few more options, look at the Yamaha Kodiak 450

And to add...I have one without power steering and one with power steering. I will NEVER again buy one without. Ever.

The Honda Rancher 420 is a very good choice for an all around ATV.

You really can’t go wrong with any Honda ATV, or anything Honda for that matter.

FWIW I would run, not walk away from any Polaris machine if it’s not a recent model. I’ve heard horror story after horror story with electrical demons and the driveline components grenading on them.

Agreed on the electric shifter, the manual style are actually harder to find ime.
That’s been my experience too, I passed a great deal on one with the manual shift a couple years ago and have kicked myself every time I think about it!

That power steering tzone mentioned would be my #1 priority after 4wd

Has anyone had any experience with the Tracker line from Bass Pro Shop? They are getting good reviews and priced to where you can get a new one for the price of a recent used Honda.
I believe that they are made by Arctic Cat/Textron If I’m not mistaken.

I know a lot of guys swear by their side by sides.

You could not give me a Polaris anything. The Honda ATVs have always been very dependable. Kawasaki makes solid performers, as does Yamaha, too. I had a Kawasaki and a Suzuki that were both great, but now I only use UTVs. Several good options, depending on your dealer support and price. I would look real hard at Arctic Cat, if I had a dealership near.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back