Buying a Howa 1500?

CILhunter

I have been looking for a .308 rifle for general use. I will likely use it to hunt elk, but I live in the flatlands, and kids/job/coaching don't leave me much time to go West and hunt. I have been talking to a guy about a slightly used Howa 1500. He is the original owner, and claims to have put between 50-100 rounds through it. This was sold as a combo with a 3-9x40 scope, and has the black Hogue stock. He wants $350 for the rifle, scope and a box of ammo. This looks like a good deal, but I have no experience with Howa, so wanted to see what someone who has shot one thinks.

I have the .243 and the .270 in the Howa 1500. . . both are excellent shooting rifles. I would say buy it, I beleive that is close to 1/2 price. If you don't want it. . .I'll take it! lol
Worth every penny. . .let us know what you decide.

I would probably be biased, as I shoot them a lot and they are the rifle we use in the TV show. That price seems like a great deal. Assuming he took good care of it, it should shoot great. Once you get it, get the trigger adjusted to 2.75 to 3.0 pounds and you will have a great rifle.

I have been using the .308 for elk since 2009. We have killed plenty of elk with those rifles in the TV show. Three bulls just last year.

Buy it. If the rifle is in good shape, buy it. It's a great caliber, especially with kids. The scope is probably their stock Nikko Sterling which would cost all of $100 to replace and shells for $20. You get the gun for around $200, that's a good deal. Plus, weatherby's been using them and calling them vanguards for years.

I have the 1500 in 7 mag. It is an older model that did not have the adjustable trigger, so dropped in a Timney. It made a huge improvement. I also upgraded the glass to a Vortex Viper LR model. I love my Howa and for under $400 for the original purchase price I dont think there is a better value out there.

Well, I decided to buy this rifle. Have not yet shot it, but it cycles dummy rounds very smoothly, bore looks to be in very good shape, bolt movement is slick, trigger breaks cleanly, with no creep, at about 2 - 2.5 lbs. Can't wait to get this gun to the range, and then into the high country.

I'll probably celebrate Independence Day at the range, enjoying my freedom, with my AR, my 9mm, and "new" .308, and make some fireworks of my own!

Everyone have a good (short) week!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back