butchering elk

If u do the gutless method how do u get the best part of the elk the tenderloins. Also we hunt 16 miles in on horse so it is likely we dont get our elk out that day so we cool it off in the river works good cools off real quick havent yet lost elk due to hot weather.

If u do the gutless method how do u get the best part of the elk the tenderloins. Also we hunt 16 miles in on horse so it is likely we dont get our elk out that day so we cool it off in the river works good cools off real quick havent yet lost elk due to hot weather.

The end of the video I posted earlier shows how to get at the tenderloins. It's really fairly easy...after you remove the hind quarters and the back strap you can cut in behind the rib cage and under the spine to get them out. maybe one small cut and a quick pull and you're done.

I always hear that it is incredibly difficult to get the tenderloins out with the gutless method. Is that true to those that have done it? I see the video but I just want more info on it. Especially since I have never done gutless before.

I always hear that it is incredibly difficult to get the tenderloins out with the gutless method. Is that true to those that have done it? I see the video but I just want more info on it. Especially since I have never done gutless before.

second on what Buzz said. It seems difficult, but is super easy. I would bet that it would be hard if you had never actually gutted an animal and had no idea where they were in the cavity, but if you have had them opened up before and know where they are, you will have no problem at all. They're barely even connected to anything in there and come out real easy. The first time you do it, if you have a hard time you can always pull the guts out and then see how it works from both the inside & the outside. once you try gutless, you won't switch back.

Why would you ever want to drag or haul a bone off the mountain that you didn't need?

Because it's cleaner, and more sanitary. As I said in my post, if you have to bone it out to pack, then gutless is fine.

If I can take it home, and hoist it up, then take care of it, one does a much better job of keep things clean in a controlled environment.

If you have to leave it over night, then again, you will want to gut the animal and get it off the ground to cool. Even if you bone the animal out later.

We have put whole elk up in trees to retrieve them at a later date. Many roads are closed for rifle season, then opened right after the season ends. We have left elk in trees that time of year (gutted) then snowmobiled in the day after season ended.

I'd rather work on any animal whole, rather than in pieces.

Good topic. It's always interesting to learn new ways or thoughts on breaking down an animal in the field. I am from Arizona and we are spoiled by the roads being every few feet from each other, but with the NEW travel management plans on NF it has all changed.

Here is a spread we did in the 2012 Arizona Hunting Edition.

483365_408140955900293_189146013_n.jpgr

I know a lot of you in the Northern States have been breaking animals down for years using the gutless method, but it's pretty new in the SW.

I would like to see someone get an elk out whole from every place that I ever killed an elk-impossible! There is no logical reason to even try it when it is so simple to just break him down right there. I would like to shoot an elk some time where I did not have to pack him out. I would not know how to act, though.

The tenderloins are easy to get out. If you have a small saw or hatchet, it is even easier. Just cut out the tops of the last couple of ribs. It is not difficult at all, but as was stated earlier, do it last.

Gutless is really not that new, Craig. I did it for years when I lived in in New Mexico.

Doesn't anyone eat the heart and liver??
Gutless method works great, just do it a couple times and it gets easier. I do open it up after for the heart and liver though.

The end of the video I posted earlier shows how to get at the tenderloins. It's really fairly easy...after you remove the hind quarters and the back strap you can cut in behind the rib cage and under the spine to get them out. maybe one small cut and a quick pull and you're done.

Oh i see says the blind man. I was gonna try this last year but wasnt sure about that part. And my father in law is one of them guys that never changes he does it his way or no way but im gonna insist on gutless methid this year thanks for posting that video im one of them guys that has to see something before light comes on.

About 6 or 7 years ago I started reading up on the gutless method and have done all my deer and antelope, as well as the elk my friends have shot, that way ever since! It's the only way to go, especially on elk!

Are you cutting it yourself?

If so, cut it off the bones, freeze it and ship it home. Then, wait until it gets cold this winter, and start setting out frozen boxes to thaw a bit so that you can cut and wrap.

I shipped 4 caribou back from Alaska once in 10-20-30lb chunks, cut and wrapped them when I had time.

that's what I was trying to figure out when I posted this question. wanted to make sure you cut them the same way. so far, after reading what others have said, will try and do it myself. the only issue I can see about getting it home will be packing it in coolers. thinking I'll bring the meat cutting knives along, and if I get one, cut all the main parts, tip roasts/steaks, rump area, shoulder area in to manageable pieces, and then haul them home. day-day and a half drive is all it is. then I can take all the scrap and have slims and sausage made up. have gotten mixed reviews on burger, so will probably pass on that. may try some breakfast sausage though?

cow hunt, so will try and get a younger one if possible. like I'll know what the age is on one of these things?

whiskeydog, nice video. thanks. have read about it before, but without seeing it, hard to picture. the guys did a great job explaining.

now that we have all that out of the way, next question. have read you guys all talking about pack frames. since I'm a cheap bastage, wonder if one of those big 2 wheeled carts would work to haul one of these out once you have it quartered? know it would take a couple trips minimum, but already have on of those that I bought for a previous hunt. holds 350 lbs., and thinking it MIGHT be easier on this old body? realize logistics will be the biggest thing. how steep. how rocky, etc. opinions?

and lastly, for now anyways, like things hanging on the wall, and since I am still working on replacing the ones I had after the house burnt down, any suggestions on how to skin this out, with the gutless method, if I want to save the head/hide for mounting?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ca_centralcoast_hunter
Back