Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Burro?

David658

We hope to move to ID in about 18 mos. Thinking about a burro/donkey for livestock proteciton. Any experience for using them to pack out game?

David
NM

We had a young we were breaking to pack and it was coming along very well. Never even hardly threw a fit. But we traded him for a mule. Before we actually used him to pack out game or such on a hunt

We had a young we were breaking to pack and it was coming along very well. Never even hardly threw a fit. But we traded him for a mule. Before we actually used him to pack out game or such on a hunt
Why did you decide to go for the mule?

We had an older one that died on us this winter, she was super sweet and wouldn’t hurt a flea. Ours wasn’t afraid of much of anything and I took her on trail walks. She foundered before we got her and it really shortened her life/mobility. You should check into the BLM burro adoption program. I think they would be pretty easy to train. Best of luck

Attachments

• 00F92653-2EFE-467D-BA12-99DC475B9A7A.jpeg
    00F92653-2EFE-467D-BA12-99DC475B9A7A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
I have Horses, Mules, and two formerly wild, BLM Burros.
Here's the thing about Burros (spanish for Donkey). The standard size are hardy and tough enough to pack with. Historically, they've been beasts of burden all down through history, and can carry quite a bit. They do walk slower than
Mules for the most part. They need to think things through sometimes before they decide what, if anything, they're going to do. What makes them great in the backcountry, is that they'll eat about anything green, where a Horse or Mule may not. Burros are more like camels than horses too, and don't seem to need water as much. Now, a mammoth Burro can be ridden, as they're as big as a mule. I enjoy them, as they bond with you, and will then work for you. Reach out if you have more questions.

I have Horses, Mules, and two formerly wild, BLM Burros.
Here's the thing about Burros (spanish for Donkey). The standard size are hardy and tough enough to pack with. Historically, they've been beasts of burden all down through history, and can carry quite a bit. They do walk slower than
Mules for the most part. They need to think things through sometimes before they decide what, if anything, they're going to do. What makes them great in the backcountry, is that they'll eat about anything green, where a Horse or Mule may not. Burros are more like camels than horses too, and don't seem to need water as much. Now, a mammoth Burro can be ridden, as they're as big as a mule. I enjoy them, as they bond with you, and will then work for you. Reach out if you have more questions.
You are singing the tune we want to hear....

I am beginning to think that the critters (dogs and burros and chickens and whatever) planned for our little plot will change what we think we will do. I can see more staying home with furry critters than we might imagine. But the grandkids will love the menagerie.

David
NN

You are singing the tune we want to hear....

I am beginning to think that the critters (dogs and burros and chickens and whatever) planned for our little plot will change what we think we will do. I can see more staying home with furry critters than we might imagine. But the grandkids will love the menagerie.

David
NN

My uncle used to run a pack string of mammoth donkeys on the Olympic peninsula. Think at his peak he had 7 or 8 if memory serves. Used to pack in boy scout troops for their summer camps in the mountains.

Awesome critters, he’s got loads of stories. Think the only time he said he was bucked off was shooting a grouse between the ears of his donkey as he sat on it.

Back