burger bags

SandyCreek

so after just running 50 lbs of burger the other night im curious as to what everyones method is for bagging. Ive been using the 2# tube type bags that you tape with a neck sealer. it works okay but i might need to get a different funnel for my grinder that doesn't taper down. id really like to go the vacuum seal route but i didn't know if they made 1# or 2# pre cut bags. Just curious on what a good quick method is

I do two things. I have a patty maker that attaches to my stuffer and I make some patties separated by wax papers. I get 1/2 pound patties out of it. Then I do a batch of bulk in 2 pound bags except I use hog ring pliers to seal it. I used the tape one for a long time but had issues with some of the tape breaking before it even got frozen. I fill the bags with a sausage stuffer though, really does speed things up.

I used to use the tube bags, but switched to vacuum sealing years back. I buy premade bags online, save myself from sealing one end. I think they are 6x10. I am a bit anal and I weigh out the meat before sealing, once sealed, I squish them flat for easy stacking and quick defrosting.

I used to use vac seal bags, but now I buy a huge roll of produce bags at the grocery store and put the burger in those bags, squeeze out the air and wrap in freezer paper. Works well and is cheap.

I used to use the tube bags, but switched to vacuum sealing years back. I buy premade bags online, save myself from sealing one end. I think they are 6x10. I am a bit anal and I weigh out the meat before sealing, once sealed, I squish them flat for easy stacking and quick defrosting.
I do the same and it has worked really well for us. I make sure everything gets labeled with year, state, and what critter it is.

Same here.

What is the advantage of vac sealing rather than using tubes? I use a stuffer and tubes with a tape machine. We can package a lot of burger in a short amount of time. Seems like it would take way longer to vac seal it all.

What is the advantage of vac sealing rather than using tubes? I use a stuffer and tubes with a tape machine. We can package a lot of burger in a short amount of time. Seems like it would take way longer to vac seal it all.
The advantage I see is a tougher plastic, square corners and flat packages that will stack neater in the freezer.

I have used 1# tubes for years. On the doe I cut up the other night we didn't have tape for the tape machine that seals the tubes and not enough hog rings either. Instead we used pre made 8x12" vac seal bags. I found a loaf pan that we used to portion the meat out (when full it was 1.25lbs). Put the meat in the bag, let it start pulling air, when it was 3/4 of the way done just push down and flatten it out and any remaining air got pulled out with it. This is my favorite method of packaging burger so far.

When I buy ground beef from the commissary on base, I get 2 1/2 pound 80% lean which I am thinking of going to myself. Thinking of getting a container to form them, freeze then seal meal them. They seal better without all that blood oozing into your machine if you freeze the burger first. Don't have to be frozen solid, just enough to hold the form and not ooze blood.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back